two year old with red itchy bumps

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

two year old with red itchy bumps

Dear Dr.,
My two year old woke up with small red bumps on her legs, arms and face one month ago.  The quickly turned into a more blister like appearance.  There were no bumps on her stomach or chest, except one on her upper back.  We have been to the pediatrician, who suggested giving her 1% hydrocortisone and childrens benadryl to help with the itching.  The pediatrician said to come back in a week if the rash was not gone.  One week later I took her straight to the dermatologist who examined her, told me he didn't know what she had, and said it was probably papillary exzema (eczema).  I have tried to look that up on the internet and have found capillary exzema (eczema), which seems to have a vague definition.  Perhaps he said capillary and I misunderstood.  He prescribe prednisolone and anitbiotics (for the open blisters).  We completed those medications 5 days ago.  She seemed to improve for a few days, but just yesterday the blisters were bigger and fuller.  We have not seen one "pop,"  but she continues to scratch several of them off and they bleed.  She is crawling out of her skin and I have no idea what to do for her.  We have an appointment with the dermatologist again tomorrow, but I would like to come in with some ideas from a form of a second opinion. We live on an island and dermatologists are not a-plenty. There are over 100 of these red, itchy, blister like bumps on her arms, legs and face.  Please help.

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or eczema.

You need to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. Discuss with your doctor whether the baby could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. You need to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for the symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how your child is doing.

Regards.