unbearable itchy face and itch scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

unbearable itchy face and itch scalp

Dear all,
I have been having this itch on my face and my scalp for the past few months. I was never had this problem. I thought it might be related to the heat summer heat and wheather but now I am not sure. My face is red and like rash around my nose and my chin. The Worst part is the chin itch so bad I have to scrath it all the time. I tried dffernet soap, alcohol pad, lotion, olay, black afrcian soap, anti itch cream, cortisone, anti itch gel but nothing works. Its like the itch travels my face here and there itch. I even went to see a skin doctor but she gave me similiar cortisone cream but not working. It drives me nut. I cannot function like this always touching my face to scrath.
My scalp has been itch like something pinch in my scalp. I also scrath my scalp. I tried anti dandruff shampoo it helps a little but everytime I washed my hair next thing I know my scalp itch again. I tried different shampoo before this anti dandruff shampoo. The skin doctor prescripted a medicated shampoo but I still itch. I think the medicated shampoo is strong too.
So now I scatch my face and my scalp. It is very annoying and it is not people friendly. Who wants to look at me scatching.
I dont know why this is happening to me. I definetly have red and rash on my face. My upper back also itch but I thought it was heat rash but still itch even after I went to a skin doctor. It is very unbearable. Oh I am not sure if it is related to drano chemical which I exposed. MY upstair neighbour poured dwon drano in her toilet and sink and got my toilet backup with drano all over my batheroom. I mopped the floor but smelled odor which I thought it would be ok. It would go away but no the odor stayed in my apartment for few months. I was admitted to emergency since I got sick light headed almost fainted. I took a shower and washe my hair after I mopped the batheroom floor.
Ever since then my skin, my lung, my scalp like my whole body has problems. Now I have asthma and I am still seeing lung specialist. However, this itchy is the worst of all. I feel everything irritates me. I cannot stop this itch.

God helps me. Anyone knows what can stop this itch, Please let me know.
Thank you so much

This discussion is related to Contagious Itchy Face Syndrome.
Hi, all

From what I am reading all these post of itchy. I know it is not psychological or imagine. It is real but I dont know why I have it now. My face is red, itch, my scalp itcy and my upper back itch.. It exactly feels like what some of you described, something poking your skin and something crawling around or bug bite. It might be some kind of skin desease, it could be related to allergy, wheather, pollen or our every day life exposure.
I went to skin doctor but no help. I am going to allergy test soon. Something causes me itch, red and feel like something in my skin and scalp.

The only thing I could share with all of you who got itch in your face. I tried all the impossible things at pharmacy I could see and from doctor's prescription. Something I find helps my itch face is A and D ointment. It helps a little. It might be my face is red and feel burning and itch. At least I dont scrath so often and seems calm my face skin.

Well if you like, you could try A and D ointment on your face.

You know sometimes might be a simple ointment can help instead of all these chemical prescription cream from doctors.

I am still seeing doctors for my itchy but meanwhile I am looking for ways to help myself with my itchy problem.

Good luck to all of you and me.
It can be due to an allergic reaction. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate symptoms a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone as dermacort), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).But they are available under prescription and should be taken only after consulting a dermatologist. Symptoms  can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

any solutions to this problem? I am living in Australia and when i started working for this company in an office enviroment i started noticing this weird itch around my nose, up fore head and ears. it also gets itchy all over my body but not as much. i have no visible rash, bites or any marks what so ever. it also is contagious and i notice people around itching there faces around there nose and ears when i dont even itch myself. i havnt noticed any pattern to when it is worse but it is pretty contstant. this is ruining my life socially and mentally. i have read alot of different posts on this and been to the doctor a few times for him to say its all in my head when i insist it isnt. someone help! im desperate . i have used moisturisers, the steroid creams and antihistamines which doctor recomended but still no help. its not in my head and is contagious let me assure you of that.
Thank you for Bhupinder Kaur and Needhelpstat reply

I thought I had an allergy reaction but it is not. I took allergy pills but still itch. According to my research, it is my dandruff causing my face itch.
I have itch scalp which I used anti dandruff shampoo but still itch. My face is red, itch with little red veins appear.

I went to 3 doctors. The last one seems to be working for me. She is a dermatogist. she prescripted this cream called :Hydrocortisone Valerate cream 15gm which works for me, now I could go to sleep. Regular over the counter hydrocortisone would not work. She also prescripted a medidcated shampoo Ke something I forgot the name. I washed my hair with this shampoo every other day and use anti dandruff shampoo in between day. I also saw some responds regarding my problem on website. If I find it I would let you guys know. Now my scalp still itch but does not itch that much. I will go back to my doctor in 2 weeks.

Do not use any oily cream or fragrance cream on you face. It would worse the symptom. I only use water to wash my face right now until my skin is better than I would use mild soup.

I guess the dandruff causing bacteria to build up and causing itching and redness. Around my nose area and down to my chin are itching so much.

With the cream now, it does not look that red or itch that much. I was crying when I had this crazy itch and keep washing my face. I could not focus at work. Now I am better.

I tried all kind of over the counter itch creams but did not work.
Hope this help.
I thought it was my head too but it is not.

Good luck

From these symptoms it looks like seborrheic dermatitis. Seborrhoeic Dermatitis is believed to be an inflammatory reaction related to the proliferation of normal skin habitant Malassezia – a yeast, which produces toxic substances that infect and irate the skin. The disease is neither contagious nor related with diet but it may be aggravated by other illness like Psychological stress, immune compromised patients, neurological diseases like Parkinsonism and stroke.

Treatment usually involves use of antifungal, anti inflammatory and sebo suppressive or Keratolytic ingredients. Dermatologist also recommends the use of photodynamic therapy which involves the usage of UV- A, UV- B laser and red or blue LED light to inhibit the growth of the yeast and reduces the inflammation. If symptoms do not improve with ketoconazole then these treatment options can be planned.

im in Aus as well.

i have this same problem.... been to 10 docs, 5 dermo's and got nowhere.

i have my suspicions what it might be, but theres no evidence of it.

if you find anything that works please let me know.
sorry but this is a real problem, a contagious problem. this is not dermatitis. please dont post unhelpful replys like this.
where abouts are you located in AUS?
Dear all.

Thank you for your replies

With my symptom, I use the medicated shampoo and the cream which improve my problem. Now I can sleep at night and focus at work.

I still have itch but less. I have some little veins or lines around my nose area. It looks scary. My doctor told me when my face stop itch. I need to use the cerevete cream on my face to moise my face. It helps.

I would not be suprise it is stress causing me itch. I have have been having a lot of stress in life. I also expose to chemical.
I hope my problem would be fixed and back to normal.

I clam my self my listening to music and go to exercise class so that I would not keeping thinking of my itch and keep washing my face and looking at mirror.

I go back to my doctor in 2 weeks.

Good luck to all of you and myself
All the best to everyone
I'm in Melb. i got it from getting a haircut in the city.
sorry about my posts.. i just read the original post..

i came here via a link that was posted in 'contagious itchy face syndrome' thread...

so i assumed thats what it was about.
in response to your latest post Bhupinder about the seborrhoeic dermatitis ... i dont believe it is. when im around people they get itchy in same spots around the face aswell eg nose, cheeks forehead and ears even when i refrain from scratching. im not one who suffers from anxiety so its not in my head. ive read stuff about bird mites and dust mites and it does seem to be the very same symptoms. i work in a building where there is pigeons that hang around on the roof aswell ive noticed. i did read that the bird mites do not survive long without an active nest nearby though. can you see bird mites with the naked eye? originally when this itch first started it was only at work in the office but now it follows me every where. i have noticed litlle red pimple like bumps on my upper arms where my shirt sleeve sits but dont think they are related. also i noticed a rough scaley feeling dry bit of skin around the size of a button on both upper arms just below my shoulders ... also no idea if related as it doesnt itch. other then that no visible marks bites or lesions. a little while back though when this whole thing started i did have a few scabs on the back of my head for some reason, didnt have head lice or get bitten by anything to make me scratch which made them quite perculiar. my face does seem to be rather oily on my forehead of late though but dont know if its weather related as we have just come out of winter here in australia and the heat is back. let me assure you that it is contagious ... its like people are elergic to me. any ideas Bhupinder? im desperate and the doctor just says its in my head and wasting my time and money.
thanks for response confuse787 I do not believe it is dandruff though. i have comb my hair and no flakes. i dont believe that dandruff would make others in close proximity itch aswell but i could be wrong. i have bought some anti dandruff shampoo since seeing your post though just to see but it doesnt seem to be helping. thanks for your quick response as i do appreciate all suggestions
aaaaaaaarghBugs i just read your post again and you said "i have my suspicions on what it might be, but theres no evidence of it". im curious of to what this suspicion might be of yours as i would like to do some research on your theory.
it gets really confusing as there is no evidence.

best bet is a skin culture and i have been so far unsuccesful in getting anyone to do that, as no symptoms appear to the naked eye.
witch is my reason why they actually should do one.

could be 1.) fungus/mold that spreads from any infected material.
                  in that case, anything organic could be infected.

2.)  an infection of microscopic mites called collembola, but this has not been proved in humans in mainstream medical science. the only apparent real study was flawed and results are not as stated. so if thats what it is, its hard to prove.

3.) morgellons. theres 2 groups of people in this catogory, 9 out of 10 (mostly always self diagnosed) have fibers growing out of their skin. i dont have any of this.. i hope. just invisible fleas of a sort.
i have heard a couple of people say (more than one) they have tested positive for both fungus and collembola and also a yeast infection/imbalance. the theory behind it is, colembolla feeds of fungus and carrys it in its stomach and the mite is the cause of the specific type of infection.

it seems to be rare, but spreading. its also taken its toll on me, i cant really work, spend time with friends/family etc. its really put me on a downer..

if i find anything out, i will let you know.
just waiting on more appointments.. and this type of thing it takes months when you go through the public system, then get there and they tell me 'but you have put up with it this long, so it cant be that bad so you can wait'.. and stupid comments like that when they cant help / tell me im in the wrong place..  if you find anything out at all, let me know.

feel free to send a message if you like.
Dear all,

This crazy itch really is driving us nut. I have never had this problem until now.

I thought my face itch was better and now itch came back so I had to put back on hydrocotrisone valerate cream. My eyebrows, around my nose area and my chin itch most and I could see dandruffs like skin peels.

My scalp is not that itch since I use medicated shampoo and anti dandruff shampoo.

I am hoping my itch would be healed.

I think dandruffs also carry bacterias and If the hair, scalp not clean it would come down the face.

As for you, Piegeons birds carry disease also. If you work in that environment, you might catch something you dont know.

We all are going to keep research and do some study. Maybe with our combine force, we would figure it out what is it.

Only thing I can say is if it is not clean, fungal will build up as time goes.

Good luck to all of us and hope itch would be healed.
if you have a basic fungus problem that relates to dandruff,

try treating with: Nizoral cream 2%, or something that contains 'ketoconazole'. it may take a couple of days.

also maybe follow up weekly with olive oil or tea tree oil.

i hope you do not have the same unknown itch that i have (witch may be a specific unknown type of fungus or even a parasite), i still cant get anyone to tell me what it is.
i should of said, if you use tea tree oil, do not use it 100% straight, it will dry the skin out and bring back your dandruff and possibly make it even more itchy.
add a small amount to a hair conditioner or moisturizer cream, up to 10 - 20% as it doesn't always mix well either.
Hello

Yes, my doctor precriped Ketecortozone shampoo which helps my itch scalp.
That Nizoral cream 2% is it over the counter or prescripted cream.

I used tea tree oil on my face and it messed up and my dandruff came back. so I stop using tea tree oil. I use neutrogena facial soap to clean my chin area. I dont know what else to use or nothing at all.

when the humidity is back, I feel more itchy.

Thank you
I just can't see how anyone can tolerate itchy. I cannot stand it. I just hope no itch and move on with my life. Now I take more time to wash my hair and my face and put cream everyday and night. I am tired of it. I wish I could change the whole skin and be done with it.

Good luck to all of us and God has mercy to help us all.
yes the nizoral is over the counter stuff, it might not be sold in your country but there will be something the same, with a 2% or so 'ketoconazole',

dont confuse it with 'cortisone' witch is for dermatitis conditions such as eczema.

ketoconazole is an anti-fungal & used to fight dandruff and mild cases of athletes foot/jock itch type thing.
I have it too. I've had it for about a month.   My face and scalp itch.  What works for me is rubbing on a vitamine E oil, at least on my face.  It knocks it dwon about 90% and lasts all day.  I haven't seen a dematologist yet, but plan to in the near future..
Dear all
I still have this crazy itch on my scalp and face.
I thought I was better with ketcortizone shampoo on my scalp and hydrcortizone
cream on my face. My doctor told me to use ketcortizone shampoo every other day and use
anti-dandruff shampoo in between. I got to wake up earlier everyday to wash my hair.
Also my hands are so dry from washing my hair everyday.
Then suddenly I have major breakout on my chin area. It hurt
skin like came off a little and skin peels all over my face. I got headaches and feel
weak all the time. I have itch, pain and sharp pain on my scalp now. I only had itch before.
My scalp was itchier than before now. I got fever before too.
My doctor prescribed clobex shampoo for me but doesn't seem to work. I feel
More itch. I have not gotten Lidex solution since phmarcy don't have it until
Today.
Now my scalp has red dot after using ketcortizone shampoo. I am not going to use
It anymore. I did not have any red dot or bumps before.
I think there is side effects on this ketxortizone shampoo and it also gives me headaches.
My face is on and off itch. I goes back to use hydrcortizone. There are a lot of white
Stuffs on my face pores. It might be dirt or germs I don't know.
Now my scalp is getting worse than my face whereas my face was worse than my scalp before.

Please help
Hi guys
I am still having itch scalp and itch face and now my whole body itch and my neck got a rash and itch.

I have not been doing well. I went to 5 doctors already but no cure. I tried a lot of over the counter stuffs
for my scalp and face but only help a day or 2 then is not working.

Why do I have dandruff on my scalp and face and would not go away. My chin is the worst all the skin peel or you
call dandruff and looks ugly. why do human have this problems.

tomorrow i go back to my skin doctor.  I dont know what to do
I've read a couple of these threads and relate to a lot of it.  I have found relief with bleach baths.  Also menthol, mentholatum, peppermint mouth antiseptic (Listerene type), euculyptus, Cutter Lemon & Eucalyptus Insect Repellant sold in Walmart camping section, Sulfur 8 anti-dandruff scalp ointment.

Amazingly, I've just come across a website that offers solutions to these mystery bugs but I never tried their product.  Their products have much of the same ingredients above.  Also has info on Morgellons, parasites, eczema, etc.  

IF YOU USE IT TELL ME ABOUT IT.  I can't buy it just yet.
Hey I'm just a random kid, no doctor or anything but I have been experiencing itchy face very recently however don't have red rashes because I keep myself from doing so.  My problem I have come across I believe is due to MANGOS.  If you happen to be somebody who loves to eat MANGOS you should check this out yourself.  I am not positive this is my problem but am 98% convinced that this is the source of my issues.  Hope this link can help out others, check it out if you eat MANGOS.  

http://www.nutritionatc.hawaii.edu/HO/2005/309.htm

Doesn't look like anyone knows why we have ichy scalps n faces (mine is scalp n eye brows - i do get little red bumps in my eyebrow area).   I didn't think  anyone had these symptoms but me, I'm relieved but curious as to what this is.  Has to be something if we all have this.  You would think a dermatologist (sry sp?) would know.  I'm just living with it as uncomfortable as it is.
This itchy face and body thing is quite distressing to read about.  I've been looking for something for my husband who gets terribly itchy face from the mildest anti skin cancer cream so he can't use it.  I once got an extremely prickly itchy sensation at a store while buying fall bulbs.. When i got home, I washed my face and arms in clear cool water and it went away... I know it was caused by something, and discovered afterward that it was from handling hyacinth bulbs that I bought which carry an irritating substance that caused the intense itching.  I suppose there are various things and substances that cause this.  I know that handling grasses, tomato and bean plants cause my skin to itch,.  Also, various mites.. bird mites are notorious for causing severe, long lasting problems to people from what I read.  I also got some bites from a kind of plant mite, but it didn't last.  I'd recommend noticing what makes the itch get worse... maybe it's something in the environment, or in the diet or clothing...  I once got terrible itch from using Tide powder detergent... it made my body feel like there were little fiberglass splinters in my clothes..,. maybe also some types of materials fibers or dyes could cause a reaction...  
it could be parasites and I remember when my son was little and my son went to all the doctors and my son had a small rash around his eye and it did get bigger and I took my son to an Herblist Doctor and he said he had parasites and I was shocked.  The treatment was garlic oil in his ear for a week. The rash was gone in 4 days.  I am going back to this doctor because I am having the same itching like you. The Doctor we see do not know how to test for this. Anyway I am going to see my guy. Just some thing to think of. Look it up Parasites and skin itchy.
I have the same thing and I got a feeling it is caused by our government Chemtrails.
i have tryed this on my face body for ithching of my hair these things help but does come back sea salt,apple cider finger,clear vinger,epstoms salt, add water to it the strenth you can handle also kills fleas in pets not harmful whats so ever,hope this will help you some i still fighting the itch around the back of my ears and hair line but this method does give relief good luck to all who this might help.
Have your liver enzymes tested.  Itching is often a symtom of imbalance of the liver as in a Fatty Liver or other conditions.
Itching is one of the first symtoms (symptoms) of a liver problem.  Have your liver enzymes tested.  Itching is often a symtom of imbalance of the liver as in a Fatty Liver or other conditions.
Try using 3% hydrogen peroxide left on overnight 1-2 times per week.

Even if you dont have blond hair.

It seems to stop the bumps from manifesting on scalp.

What you have is Morgellons disease.

I've had it for years.

Strange welts/hives are the other side effect of this disease. Which I simply put triple antibiotic on when they arise.

Good Luck, This works! Not a cure for this highly contagious disease.

(You probably got it at work like I did working in an in bound call center)

Even if you dont have blond hair.

What you have is Morgellons disease.

I've had it for years.

Even if you dont have blond hair.

What you have is Morgellons disease.

I've had it for years.

i also have itchy skin ,welts on head,red skin in temp change my face get oily oil pops out of my face, also white substances lface also swells.the .odd time ithink i see litle spects,that move.
I found out what fixes it, and what I think the problem was, for me anyhow. Definitely dry scalp. I used coconut oil all over my head and scalp last night. As soon as I applied the oil, the itching stopped!!! What relief:) I left the oil on for only 15 minutes and then washed my hair. I feel so much better. Even my face and arms feel better, as I smeared the stuff all over my face and arms and hands. I hope this helps all of you!
Wash hair in vinegar mixed with baking soda. And take a hot bath in epsom salt water and tea tree oil.

Coconut oil works good afterward but not a remedy for mites or lice. Vinegar clears all possible eggs and will not allow for them to attach to anything. Sprinkle salt all over the furniture, carpets and bedding and leave for two days. It dehydrates bugs. Also wash all bedding and anything you've come in contact with with vinegar and water. If you think it's fleas put a flea collar in the vacuum bag when it's not running. Wipe any surface with windex or vinegar....repeat daily for a few days.

You don't have to be a dirty person to have any bug or fungus but its very uncomfortable and can easily get out of hand. Mites you can't even see! Hope this helps.....without all the chemicals. Worked for me and I still don't know what it was....went on and on
I have Rosesa. Dr. said I also have dandruff on my scalp and my face & excemea on face & scalp  [ sorry, bad speller] which its not visable to the eye [ didnt know before that was possible]... which all 3 cause extreme itching on my face and scalp. Dr. said  it causes something that starts with a "S" to build up on scalp.. almost like "craddle cap" but NOT. My hair brakes off & sheds out really bad when these 3 flair up... My hair has thinned & looks like hell, looks like split ends everywhere and the frizzies like you wouldnt believe.  Red welted look between my eyebrows, and redness on my cheeks & chin and forehead,. Just inside my nostrels, and ear canels, my face, cheekbones,eyebrows, scalp itch like crazy. On my cheeks close to my nose I have teny tiny lil bumps. No one else can really see them, but I sure can & the DR. too.   For me, I take a antibotic (antibiotic) for roscea. I found that if I use a high end hair care products,,I like Kevin murphy products., It helps alot. The Kevin Murphy detox shampoo  2's a wk. is a God send for me!  I use it on my face too. I use the Angel wash & rinse too. Dandruff and medicated shampoos made me itch even more. Too Harsh for me. Over the counter products have wax and other stuff in it that really  irritate & flair up my 3 skin issuses and I itch like crazy. I wear NO make-up, No face products, No nothing. It all makes me itch. Also the hot weather bothers it.  Moisture lotions, humidity, etc. all bothers the skin conditions. I'v also found stress and anxiity about things here & there are real irritents too.   Had a ton of allergy tests done.. nothing. As long as I'm carefull and avoid as much as I can, the things that flair all 3 up... I do OKAY to really good, most of the time. I hate my hair now tho.. Not much I can do for it or about it...   Well hope my story helps someone .. Good Luck
I live in NIGERIA, AFRICA ,,,,I READ THE COMMENTS AND MOST OF THE COMPLAINS SEEMS TO BE EXACT LIKE MINE. IT WORSE DURING HUMIDITY FOR ME MAKING ME TO BLIV IT HAS GOT SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE WEATHER, I TRIED FUNBACT-A .......IT WORKED BUT ANYTIME I STOP USING IT THE ITCHING ON MY FACE STARTS OVER AGAIN. FOR HOW LONG WILL I CONTINUE TO BE USING THIS FUNBACT A CREAM? FOREVER?.  PLZ MEDICAL EXPERTS AND DERMATOLOGISTS SHOULD HELP US DO MORE RESEARCH ON THESE ITCHING AND COME UP WITH WORKABLE SOLUTIONS.
I also have this weird itch all over my body. Specially in scalp and neck... i hope it will go away..
Oh dear god, why is this such an epidemic that no one is able to cure. My scalp itches like I've not washed it for a month, after 1 day. My neck and face itch like I've been laying in mud for a week my chest abd back itch constantly leaving me with scratches all over, which result in bumps where I then have sore AND itchy spots, my groin (yes, jock itch, despite my sedentary lifestyle) is unbearable. It's almost entirely my entire skin organ. Upper arms. I can wear any sort of clothing, no diffrerence. I have tried medicated soaps, pinetarsol shampoo, tea tree oil, calamine lotion. bicarbonate of soda, vinegar, antihistamines.. nothing eases this god damned itching. I cant shave my head because it is raw with a red rash from scratching, but I cannot have hair on my head because it becomes a nest for invisible bugs. The only thing I could even think that could possible stop this is living full time in the ocean, but then, how will I get anything else done. I am not a fish :( but I am becoming scaled and look like some homeless heroin addict :( If any doctor told me this was in my head, I'd put my itchy fist in his head. :(
I been intchy my ear for past year 3times aday maki g nioses to scratch my ear hen my brain itchess sometimes when I sneeze my ear inches. Omg please help me pleaee sometimes I feel like a bug crawling in my ear. . I di t know sometimes everyomoening I get discharge fro. My ear ease help me I can't take it no more :/
HI...something that is hard to detect is a mild form of Lupus....have you checked for that?
did you ever find out what was wrong with you? With the itching on your face?
Please be sure you do not have an overgrowth of mold in your dwelling or place of work. Mold spores become airborne and are known to cause many mysterious health issues. Most people blow it off because mold is really almost everywhere, but at a certain point it is hazardous to our health. Causing illness which includes yeast infection under the skin which I have on my scalp due to mold illness from it growing in my house. Search mold illnesses and see if you or others that live or work with you have more symptoms on the list. Excessive mold exposure can inflame many illnesses also making them harder to deal with.