unknown reason for hair loss

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

unknown reason for hair loss

I've had the following checked:  Complete blood workup (iron, thyroid, vitamins, etc), hormone panel (free testerone, FSH, etc) and have seen a derm, ob-gyn, and primary care physician.  My hair has been falling out for 7 months, and I've had no major illness, stress, etc.  Its getting pretty thin, and hasn't stopped falling out.  It's got a lovely white bulb on the end, and its falling out all over my scalp.  Noone seems to have an answer to what's going on!

Is there any scalp itching or flakiness, etc? It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for this and then decide the cause and further plan of management.

A number of things can cause excessive hair loss. For example, about 3 or 4 months after an illness or a major surgery, you may suddenly lose a large amount of hair. This hair loss is related to the stress of the illness and is temporary.

Hormonal problems may cause hair loss. If your thyroid gland is overactive or underactive, your hair may fall out. This hair loss usually can be helped by treatment thyroid disease. Hair loss may occur if male or female hormones, known as androgens and estrogens, are out of balance. Correcting the hormone imbalance may stop your hair loss.

Many women notice hair loss about 3 months after they've had a baby. This loss is also related to hormones. During pregnancy, high levels of certain hormones cause the body to keep hair that would normally fall out. When the hormones return to pre-pregnancy levels, that hair falls out and the normal cycle of growth and loss starts again.

Some medicines can cause hair loss. This type of hair loss improves when you stop taking the medicine. Medicines that can cause hair loss include blood thinners (also called anticoagulants), medicines used for gout, medicines used in chemotherapy to treat cancer, vitamin A (if too much is taken), birth control pills and antidepressants.

Certain infections can cause hair loss. Fungal infections of the scalp can cause hair loss in children. The infection is easily treated with antifungal medicines.

Finally, hair loss may occur as part of an underlying disease, such as lupus or diabetes. Since hair loss may be an early sign of a disease, it is important to find the cause so that it can be treated.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.
Hi, I am a mother of a nine year old girl who has been losing her eylashes for about a year now.  She only loses them on the top eyelid and not the bottom.  This happens in both eyes.  She is so aware and embarrassed by this and I have been at a loss as to how to help her.  They will eventually grow back and then she will lose them again, this happens over and over.  She assures me she is not rubbing her eyes and not pulling them out.  Doctors haven't been able to give me any ideas as to why this is happening, her diet is still the same and she is a normal happy, healthy child who isn't under any stress.  I just recently asked my beautician if there was anything we could try.  She suggested rubbing castor oil on her top lids as this promotes growth.  So we have just started doing that.  Will keep everyone posted as to how it goes.  Perhaps it's worth a try.
Kay