upper lip swelling

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

upper lip swelling

I have the same issue only on the upper lip the bumps look larger than before. It swelled up causing the entire upper lip to swell. I searched over the internet but not many results many had the same issue. The swelling lasted overnight and no pain or visible blisters. once again it was only on the upper lip.

This discussion is related to White Bumps Upper Lip -- Possible Herpes?.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

I just need to clarify some things.

You have noted white bumps on the upper lip (is this correct?). Are the bumps found in the inside of the lip or on the outside?

Do these bumps appear singly or do they occur in clusters?

Do they contain vesicles or lesions containing fluid within them ?

Do the bumps contain pus?

Are the bumps scaly?

Are they shiny or do they appear plaquelike with whitish lines above them?

Are they itchy or painful?

As this is relevant to your case, was there any history of sexual contact?

Any known allergies?

yes the bumps were found in the inside of the upper lip. they were in clusters,no pus, no lesions,no fluids,not shiny, no whitish lines not itchy or painful. it was botherirng because of the significant size of the swelling.
no known allergies
there is some history of sexual contact but highly doubt there was any stds.
swelling starts with slight irritation (not sure what started it) and inflates within an hour.
swelling goes down usually overnight and looks normal
havent had this happen in about 4 weeks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This may be an inflammatory or allergic reaction.Would you be able to identify possible triggers (food,beverage?)  which could have caused these?

You have noted that the swelling starts as a mild irritation and you observed them to occur in clusters. Do you have any known allergies?

The swelling appears to be acute in onset and also resolves spontaneously in a few hours. Unless there is previous trauma, an allergic reaction which may be localized is my primary differential.

You may discuss this with your physician.This does not sound like an urgent case.If this recurs you may ask your physician if you can take a trial dose of antihistamines just to note if it will make the swelling resolve faster.Dont take any medications without informing your primary doctor.
Thanks. that makes me happy:) I have tried to isolate the food or beverage but its random and involves items such as pepperoni pizza and diet coke, which i have no known prior allergies to.
Does acne have anything to do with it? I have a mild case of acne for a long time.