Dermatology Expert Forum
vaginal fungus

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

vaginal fungus

for the past few months i have been getting an itch that i assumed was a fungus...the crease area between the top of my thighs and my vaginal lips becomes extremely itchy and red. At one time my doctor told me it was a fungus infection similar to jock itch in men.  i have tried many over the counter fungus treatments such as lotrimin and the generic ones as well, but the itch keeps coming back.  i am overweight and know that things such as moisture and persperation can irritate such conditions, so i am very careful.  after showering i make sure the area is dried completely and then apply corn starch powder to help absorb any moisture.  are there any other medications that can help rid me of this itch and stop it from coming back.
Doesn't sound like fungus or yeast to me, especially if treatment for that didn't work.

Much more likely is irritation, from skin rubbing against skin.  I suggest you try over-the-counter 1% hydrocortisone twice a day.  If that fails, see a doc for a somewhat stronger preparation.

This condition may recir, but it isn't catchy.  And by the way, it happens quite often in folks who aren't overweight.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I went through a severe case of the same thing and tried everything including a dozen different prescription oinments, etc. But nothing worked until I asked for Diflucan pills and that did it! I don't understand why the doctors (yes, more than one) didn't just give me the Diflucan right away. I went through 4 months of burning torture. I now use Zeasorb-AF powder daily to prevent further events and haven't had a problem as long as I don't run out of the powder. Good luck.
I have the same problem every month, the week before my cycle starts. I've tried eating yogurt, monistat and nothing has worked. Just burning and terrible itching for an entire week. As soon as my cycle comes the irritation leaves...my poor husband.