Dermatology Expert Forum
vinegar remove bump/skin tag/wart?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

vinegar remove bump/skin tag/wart?

About 7 months ago I found a small bump on the shaft (top, very close to the base) of my penis. It was a dark mole colored bump that was kinda finger like, about 1-2mm in diameter and maybe 3-4 mm long. It was flexable and easy to move around.  This growth was in the center of a darker area of my skin (which is still there)

After reading online, I found that vinegar could be used to determine if a bump is a wart (by it changing color to white). So, like a stupid guy, I applied vinegar via a cotton ball to that bump and let it sit there for maybe 3 minutes.

Once I removed the cotton ball the 'finger like' dark (mole colored) bump looked like it had shrunk/dried up. Within 24 hours and no further vinegar, the thing had totally dried up and fell off. About a week later I went to the doctor and she viewed the area (darker area - still there) and said nothing looked abnormal and that drying off behavior didn't sound like a wart, and not to worry about it.  I went to the doctor again about 3 months ago for a follow-up, everything still looked normal.

Background: at the time I was jogging about 6 miles 3-4 times a week in boxers. I found another larger skin tag a few days after this 'finger like' bump (the new one was skin colored) in my groin region on the scrotum where it rubbs the leg (had the doctor check it out). After poking/cutting that accidently with tweezers it dried up and never came back.

It's been 9 months and nothing has returned.

Does this drying up with vinegar behavior give any ideas as to what it was. I think it was a skin tag, but on the shaft? Bottom line - do I have anything to worry about?

Thanks - this is a great service you provide.
Vinegar turns warts white.  Unfortunately, it turns a lot of things white that aren't warts, so it isn't a very reliable test.  However, I don't know what would make it dry something up so it falls off.  It wouldn't make a wart fall off.  I think you should forget the whole thing, unless a bump comes back or appears somewhere else.  If that happens, leave it alone and show a doctor.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
Forgot to mention - the bump never changed color with the application of vinager.
Oh - and doctor was from our local STD clinic.  Sorry, just cannot seem to put this out of my mind.
A related discussion, vinegar apllied tirectly to vagina was started.