vitiligo & steroid creams
hey,i have vitiligo & im useing this cream called flucinonide USP,0.05%.but it seems like its makeing my white patchs whiter & more bigger.just wondering if this cream is suppost to make the patchs to stop spreading & bring back the pigement back to normal?iv have been useing it for 2 weeks now & the doctor wants to see me back in 3 months.just dont want this cream to make it worse then it is.it seems like after useing its makeing it spread to tho,so didnt know if anybody has use this cream befor or had a cream that made the vitiligo whiter??please help & thnxs
Hi there!
Vitiligo is an autoimmune disease that causes depigmentation of the skin.UVB phototherapy, PUVA phototherapy are the mainstay of treatment. Topical steroids are useful only in the early stages of the disease. They are not useful once the diagnosis is established. Usually low potency steroids are prescribed in vitiligo.If you think that your condition is worsening it is best to see the doctor as soon as possible. A timely checkup and reassurance will be really helpful. Do keep us posted.
Take care and regards!
Sometimes steroids can cause lightening of skin when applied for prolonged periods.Generally effective as intial treatment for isolated patches of vitiligo.