vitiligo or tinea versicolor

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

vitiligo or tinea versicolor

how does vitiligo and tinea versicolr look different from one another? i have white spots that started appearing on my legs a couple of years ago and now are spreading to my arms thy are small flat with the skin solid white but they do not connect or blend together in other words i'm spotted they do not connect.i do go to the tanning bed although i don't abuse the tanning.please any info is appreciated i know i need to see a dr for postive diag.but really can't afford to no insurance
It sounds like tinea versicolor to me, although a dr would have to make a diagnosis.  You can use an affordable otc cream of clotrimazole. Apply it twice a day. If it doesn't clear up you will need to see a dr-it is a fungus. Best wishes, tmv

The white spots in skin can be caused by a yeast called tinea versicolor, vitiligo, other systemic illness. The tinea versicolor yeasts are always around us, and usually cause no problems. Some of us are more susceptible to the things that can convert tinea versicolor yeast into forms that cause the rash: heat, oily skin, birth control pills, humidity, pregnancy and corticosteroids.

Tinea versicolor yeasts are not contagious.

Leucoderma, also known as vitiligo, is a rare skin disease characterized by white spots and patches. The white patch or spot is called as leucoderma and when it occurs without any preceding disease it is called Vitiligo.

Some of the perceived causes are emotional stress, hereditary factors, worms, sunburns and physical illness. This skin condition can be aggravated due to diseases like hyperthyroidism, diabetes mellitus, pernicious anemia and Addison's disease.

It is best to get it examined and reach an accurate diagnosis so that the appropriate treatment can be initiated.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how he is doing.

Regards

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers