Dermatology Expert Forum
waistline rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

waistline rash

i have had a rash that has reoccurred on my waistline.  The rash consists of tiny red bumps that itches and eventually turns dry and scaly.  It seems to come in clusters. My skin also seems very dry. I went to the dermatologist and he said it looked like eczema.  He took a scraping for a culture.  After 2 weeks he said it didnt do much. He gave me some steroid creme and it eventually went away but it has come back.  I am very worried about this rash because i had unprotected sex 1 year ago and have been worried about the possibility of contracting something. I have been worried that this rash might be shingles, which is a symptom of an std.  What could this rash be? Could it be a symptom of an STD?
I think your dermatologist is correct--eczema.  That looks and behaves exactly the way you say yours did.  Your rash sounds nothing like shingles or any STD.  Eczema comes and goes when it wants, especially in the cold months.  Just follow your dermatologist's advice, and you should be fine.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I had a boss with a B-12 deficiency that had a rash around his waistline. It may or may not be significant.
I went to a different doctor and she told me it looked like scabies!   How could i have gotten this?
My 6-yr old son has red patches of rashes on his entire back, and the back of his waist, upper chest, and also the upper part of his arm. These red patches of rashes will eventually become dry and starts to flake (maybe he scratches it and the skin becomes broken).  And I usually try to gently rub away those flaky skins during his shower. Once all these flaky skin are gone, his body is back to normal (white and soft). But because he is very active and perspires alot, so soon the cycle begins again, and a few days later, you will see read patches on his back, upper chest, etc... again.
I'm so troubled and was wondering what could it be. I have brought him to see doctors. Some said was eczema (probably because it was that stage where it's flaking). Some said it was white spots. But how can I prevent it? I can't just let my son keep peeling every week.... I really need your help and advise.... Thanks so much !
I have similar symptoms. do yours looks like flea bites in clusters? so far I have found that bathing helps with the itching but does not cure the problem. does this sound similar to your problem?