warts

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

warts

I was raised on a ranch and when the cattle got warts we simply gave them a shot and the warts fell of within weeks. Why can't this be done for people?
I have fought common warts off and on for years and when I ask about a shot I never get an answer. Now I seem to have a few in my genital area and since I haven't had any sexual relations for years, I wonder if it is a common wart or this whole genital wart everyone is suddenly so afraid of. Or are they one in the same? I am very confused. Thanks

This would be a common wart most probably because you have no history of exposure.

You should maintain good personal hygiene, keep the areas clean and wear lose, comfortable clothes.

'Home treatment is often effective in curing warts. Salicylic acid, an over-the-counter medication, or even duct tape and patience may be enough to resolve warts.'

If you have stubborn warts and home treatment isn't helping, your doctor may suggest one of the following approaches, based on the location of your wart, the degree of your symptoms and your preferences.

Freezing (cryotherapy or liquid nitrogen therapy); canthardin; electrodissection and curettage and laser surgery are the treatment options available.'

You could read more about this at the following links -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wart

and

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/common-warts/DS00370

Let us know if you need any further information.

Post us about how you are doing.

Regards.