weird rash

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

weird rash

2693258?1206501454
for the last weeks I have had this weird rash that is on my back, buttocks, arms, chin and one cheek. it is small red bumps extremley itchy the doctors says it is a viral rash but unknown why. They put me on hydroxyzine for the itch but nothing help, if this is a viral rash how long do they last? If not looking for help to get ride of it.
Thanks,
Lost

This discussion is related to What kind of rash?.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Your rash does not appear to follow a specific pattern of distribution.

For how long have you had this rash?

Was this associated with any flulike symptoms like a clear nasal discharge, joint pains, headaches, sore throat, eye redness?

Do you have any known allergies ?
I have had it for 2 weeks now, I got strep throat but I had the rash before I got the sore throat. The doctor says its viral rash could last 4-6 weeks just curious if anyone has had this too??
Avatar_dr_f_tn

With a prior history of an upper respiratory tract infection such as a strep throat, I suggest that you have this rash closely monitored. Have you taken any antibiotics for your strep throat ? Were you able to complete the course of your medications?

Although rare, strep throat may cause scarlet fever as a complication.The rash of scarlet fever is usually associated with headache and a fever .The rash has a rough feel to it and may be reddish over the arms and legs.However ,in your case the rash does not appear like this based on the images. A superimposed viral infection is your physician's  primary differential.

Continue to obeserve the rash and note for any scaling of the skin or development of enlarged lymph nodes especially over the neck. Take lots of fluids and eat well.If this is viral ,it may readily resolve in time.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers