what is the cause of these splinter like blood clots in my nail?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

hi i am only 19 years old. i just had a baby about 5 months ago...n i had a c section....anyway 3 months after i had my baby i had been very sick.......i've been feelin fatigue...n when i be on my menestration i have real big blood clots...then one day i woke u n i happen to look at my nails and there where these spliter like blood clots in my name....i was very terrified....i had asked around but i didnt get no answer......now recently i happen to look at my toenails and now i have it n both of my big toe nail.......can me having a c section be the cause of this? n i had searched online to see if i can see whats wrong with me n it said the splinter like blood clot can be caused by endocarditis....can i have that...beacuse ive be shortness out of breath but i also have asthma n my body is always and forever aching especially eversince i had got the epideral my lower back has been hurting and i mean its my spine....pls can somebody tell me whats going on with me....

This discussion is related to Splinter hemorrhage vs subungual melanoma.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Splinter hemorrhages are small areas of bleeding under the fingernails or toenails. They are associated with  trauma to the nail, infection of the heart valves or endocarditis and may be caused by vessel damage from swelling of the blood vessels or tiny clots that damage the small capillaries.

Endocarditis is inflammation of the inside lining of the heart chambers and heart valves. Endocarditis can involve the heart muscle, heart valves, or lining of the heart.  Risk factors usually include injection drug use, permanent central venous access lines, prior valve surgery, recent dental surgery or weakened valves.  It usually presents with abnormal urine color, chills, excessive sweating, fatigue, fever, joint pain, muscle aches and pains, night sweats, weight loss , weakness or shortness of breath with activity.

It is best that you see your doctor for further evaluation and proper diagnosis.  Laboratory tests such as CBC , Chest x-ray, ECG or  Echocardiogram may be done. Take care and regards.
Dr. Santos,

I have 3 small, dark splinter looking marks under my small fingernail (maybe splinter hemorrhage?).

I also have about 15 bright red tiny (about the tip of a ballpoint pen) dots in various places on my abdomen, legs, etc. (is this petechia?).

The skin on my arms and upper legs appears pink/healthy, but if I put light pressure on it, the blood seems to leave the area that I touched for several seconds and the skin appears yellowish.

Several months ago I was in the E.R. and was given I.V. solumedrol. The following day the pink was gone and I appeared yellowish (the nurse thought it might be the lighting in the room).

I have mild dermatographia (redness but no wheal).
I have been having problems with high blood pressure, headaches, and dizziness.

Do you know if these things related?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Was there any trauma to the fingernail? Petechiae are pinpoint flat round red spots under the skin surface caused by bleeding into the skin.These are blood that has leaked from the capillaries into the skin and they usually do not blanch when pressed upon.

There are many conditions in which petechiae may be seen. These conditions range from very minor to very major. The common causes of petechiae include local injury and trauma, allergic reactions, autoimmune diseases, viral infections , thrombocythemia  or very high platelet level, certain medical treatments and bloodstream infection.

What were the results of the laboratory tests done? A complete blood count would help in identifying  problems in the blood such as anemia. The symptom of most types of anemia may include: weakness, pale skin, fast or irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath, chest pain, dizziness, or headache.

Take care and keep us posted.

No trauma to fingernail.
My tiny red dots do not blanch and I have had them for many months.
How long do petechiae and splinter hemorrhage remain visible?

My platelet counts this year have been 221, 196, 51, 168 (range 150-450).
When it was 51, the lab noted occasional giant platelets and a few large platelets.

My have been pale and my the palms of my hands are sometimes bright red or my fingers appear blue. I have been having periodic hipertension, palpitations, chest pressure, dizziness, and headache. RBCs have been 4.17and 4.38 (range 4.2 - 5.4), and 3.96 and 4.11 (range 3.8 - 5.1).
Ferritin - 28,  30  (range 10 - 220).

I just received results in the mail from a screening company:
Carotid Artery ultrasound - plaque within Normal range
Abdominal Aorta <3cm (no sign of aneurysm)
Ankle Brachial Index:  left 1.32,  right 1.3 - Normal (.9 or greater).

I looked this up online and I see that 1.3 or greater is a sign of a problem.  
Is this right?
About 10 months ago, I noticed my big toe was very sore for no reason.  I realized that it started when I wore a specific pair of sneakers I had and went for a power walk.  A week or two later, I noticed a large purple/black "bruise" under my big toenail.  It remained sore for a little while longer, but then the soreness stopped.  I assumed the discoloration would go away.  It got a little lighter but, the next time I wore closed toe shoes, (even though they weren't tight at all), it got darker again and felt sore.  Now, 10 months later, it's still dark and hasn't gone away.  I had read online that it would probably grow out, but it didn't.  It doesn't hurt anymore, but it's unsightly, especially since it's sandal wearing season.  Now I have to keep my toenails painted all the time, which I don't think is healthy for them.  Are there any suggestions as to what I can do to get this to go away?  I don't think it's a melanoma since it got slightly lighter and then darkened again and, besides, I don't think I've been out in the sun at all in 25 years.