white bumps on scalp

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

white bumps on scalp

i am 21 yr old boy, in the center-back of my scalp there are small non itchy white bumps, seems like layers of dandruff , when i harshly comb at tht part then a lot of dandruff gets created, i use zpto and ketoconazole shampoo but these non itchy bumps remain. when i use a fine toothed comb on the bumps then the bristles just seem to go around the bumps,if i put pressure then it leads to the generation of huge amount of dandruff as mentioned earlier,along with 2-3 mins itch and burn, the bumps are still their with some oil around it,besides i dont use oil or conditioner,neither any gel.if i just dry massage my scalp then i find fine hard thing just coming out of the skin(like small dandruff hard particles), sometimes my hair falls with a white thing at the bulb.kindly tell wht these bumps are and how can they go?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The bumps on your scalp may be due to folliculitis, dermatitis, viral infections, acne or blockage of ducts leading to sebacious cysts. To be able to reach a diagnosis, direct clinical examination is important. Have this evaluated further for proper management. With regards to your dandruff, daily washing with an antidandruff shampoo may help decrease oil and cell buildup.  There are plenty of dandruff shampoo available in the market today. Not all dandruff shampoos are alike, so you may need to experiment with them to find the one that works best for you. When shampooing, it is important to rinse well. If it still persists, stronger prescription shampoos may be indicated.

Take care and keep us posted.
hi

actually the layer of dandruff( the bump i presume) gets very hard, thus simple shampooing with tip of my fingers doesnt disturb the bump, hard combing leads to breaking of the bump and usually a chunk of dandruff(skin) comes out,but the bump seems to reappear the next day, so are the bump bcoz of dandruff? ZPTO & ketoconazole shampoo made by different companies are different ?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Some over-the-counter dandruff shampoos are: coal-tar preparations (Neutrogena T/Gel, Tegrin) ; Pyrithione zinc (Suave Dandruff Control, Pert Plus Dandruff Control, Head & Shoulders) ; Salicylic acid and sulfur (T-Sal, lonil T, Sebulex) ;  Selenium sulfide (Selsun, Exsel); and  Ketoconazole (Nizoral A-D). (ref: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/understanding-dandruff-treatment)If these do not help, you may need stronger prescription shampoo from your doctor.

Take care and regards.
i have the exact same problem. It seems related to dandruff, but the shampoos that I use that work for dandruff don't work for it.