Dermatology Expert Forum
white patches caused by the sun

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

white patches caused by the sun
whenever i go under he sun, my skin egts blotchy and there will be a lot of white patches. i use sunbock whenever i go out but it does not help. is it caused my the sun and wht can i do and how long will it take?
Joyce:

You don't mention where on your skin you get the blotches and how long they last.  Perhpas they are a superficial fungus infection.  Sunlight, even with block on, will darken normal skin and highlight light spots.

You ought to show the spots to a doctor once, just to see what they are.  I'm sure thay aren't serious, and perhpas can be treated and made to go away.

Best.

Dr. R
my boyfriend has white patches or blotches on the top of his head. sometimes they go away or get smaller but sometimes they get larger and seem to be all over his head. Now he does use a shaver to shave his head, could this be the problem or is it somthing else.

concerned sarah
I WAS TOLD THAT THE WHITE SPOTS I GET ARE SUN SPOTS BUT I CANT GET RID OF THEM I WAS GIVEN A CREAM TO PUT ON BUT IT DIDNT WORK, I GET THEM ON MY ARMS CHEST AND BACK THEY HAVE BEEN THERE FOR A FEW YEARS SOMETIMES THEY GO AWAY BUT NOT FOR GOOD THEY ALWAYS SHOW BACK UP ANY SUGGESTIONS I WOULD APPRECIATE THANKS
i get the white spots on my back in the summer , what i get a type of skin fungus and you can get rid of it with a topical lotion called "selinium sulfide 2.5%"  but it is prescription.
I also have something my doctor said are sun spots. I have them on my legs inside of my thighs and on my feet , the backs of my hands and arms. They are raised a little and most have no color or are white, and dry. I have a ton of them and they will not go away no matter what I do. Does this sound like "sun spots"? I am 27 years old and used to tan but dont anymore. Please let me know this is making me crazy. Thanks, Amy
What is the followup
I have the same spots but,..i think i have found a remedy for it. I use to have this white patches on my legs and I was told to place selsun blue (the shapoo) right of it after showering or even anytime of the day. The shampoo contains a certain chemical that helps bring back the loss of pigmentation. So, I tried it and it worked and the spots went away. So, now i have been doing to the areas of my stomach where i have the spots and they are slowly disappearing.
Dear Carolyn,

Could you please help me in getting Selsun Blue Shampoo. What will be the cost in USD and qualtity.

I am from India.

Please reply.

Anita
E-mail:***@****

Comment By: carolyn on Sunday, April 09, 2000

I have white splotches on my face now.  I've never had it before, but here's the whole story.  I put vaseline on my face cause sometimes it gets dry, then I washed it with Benzoyl Peroxide later on.  Now I have white blotches on both sides of my face.  The water was kinda hot to so I might of burnt myself.  What do you think it is and how should I treat it?
Every Summer I get tiny red spots on my stomach, back, chest, an darms.  These red spots then turn to dry skin and peal in a tiny circle leaving white spots.  Durring the winter they go away, but return as soon as summer arrives and I start going out in the sun.  They are very annoying.  I am going to try the selsen blue.  thanks!
Could be these spots are tiniea versacolar, a skin condition I've had for years. My dermatologist prescribes Nizarol and it works for awhile but it alwaays comes back. I don't think there is a permanent cure.
Our 4 year old daughter has white spots on her skin, primarily on elbows and knees, but also anywhere else she has previously damaged. They seem to stay forever, but are much more prominent when she tans, as they do not tan. They are all of different sizes and shapes. One in particular, in the middle of her back got a sunburn on it, turned red, and stayed red since(about two weeks now). You can still pick it out easilly, as the skin around it has tanned.Short of doing a skin biopsy, the doctors have not been able to give us a real answer so far.Can you help us look in a good direction for an answer as to what they may be??
A related discussion, white spots was started.
A related discussion, sun spots was started.
Me and my three sisters have the fungus that makes those little white spots. If you don't want to get the perscription you can use selson blue dandruff shampoo. It has 1%selinium sufide. Just leave it on for as log as you can then rinse. Do as offten until they disapear.
I have white spots on my face, arms, and leg people have told me to use selson blue but I have been using it for months and it hasn't helped at all. I have the spots for years and I'm only 13 and they won't go away. What should I do?