white spots in corners of mouth

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

white spots in corners of mouth

Hey doc,

Recently i discovered that i had these small pimple like white heads at the corners of my mouth.  every morning i have been able to "pop" at least one of them and a white pus will come out.  I do get the occasional cold sore (3-4 per year), but i dont get them at the corners of my mouth.  Additionally, the corner of my mouth seems a bit reddish and irritated. You cant notice the white spots or the irritation when my mouth is closed.  I am wondering if you had any idea what this could be and what would be a possible treatment.

Thank you for all of your help
Tags: irritable

Perioral dermatitis, a condition related to acne vulgaris, consists of red papules that may appear microvesicular that typically affect the nasolabial folds, perioral area or perioccular area. It usually affects women between the ages of 20 and 45.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perioral_dermatitis

It is commonly caused by the use of fluorinated topical glucocorticoid steroids to this area.

It is treated in a similar manner to acne vulgaris with tetracycline antibiotics or erythromycin but, without the use of topical steroids.

Recently, photodynamic therapy (PDT) has been reported to be helpful, although large studies have not yet been performed.

Roaccutane has been used in patients with severe perioral dermatitis with some benefit. Do consult with a dermatologist regularly.

Let us know if you need any other information.

Regards.