white spots on arms that itch

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

white spots on arms that itch

I have been in the sun a lot this summer. I have been sun burned a few times but never on my arms, usually just my neck and shoulders. About a month ago I started getting these white spots on my arms like the size of a nickel at the biggest. Some of them itch and some of them dont. Is this skin damage or is this eczema? I have dry skin preferably on the sides of my feet that itch every once in awhile but are always a pink shade reguardless if they start to cause me a problem or not. Some of these white spots on my arm itch and feel a little bumpy. I have one spot that is really white while the others on my arms are white but not noticable unless someone really starts looking at my arms. I put a lot of lotion on my skin to help this it does a little bit but they wont go away. I have thought about going tanning to make them darker but haven't went yet because I am unsure of what to do. Please give me some advice!

This sounds like a heat rash or milaria , though nothing can be said with surety without having a look at the lesions.

'Miliaria (miliaria rubra, sweat rash or prickly heat) is a skin disease marked by small and itchy rashes. Miliaria is a common ailment in hot and humid conditions, such as in the tropics and during the summer season. '

'The prevention and treatment of miliaria primarily consists of controlling heat and humidity so that sweating is not stimulated. Measures may involve treating a febrile illness; removing occlusive clothing; limiting activity; providing air conditioning; or, as a last resort, having the patient move to a cooler climate.'

You could read more about the condition at the following links -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miliaria

and

http://www.emedicine.com/DERM/topic266.htm

Let us know if you need any other information and post us about how you are doing.

Regards.