white spots on arms

I am currently 22 years old and about 4-5 months I noticed a large number of little white spots all over my arms. I ignored it because I thought it would go away. However, about a month I noticed that they have increased in size and are now actually much larger in size making them more noticeable. So I visited a dermatologist and she said that it was fungus and that I should use Nizoral shampoo as a treatment, but it would go away in year! My question is that what other possibilities could there be? Is there any other treatment that could make it go away faster? What causes it? I like to think of myself as very hygenic, so I'm surprised I even have to deal with this.

Thank you for your help.

White spots may be found in pityriasis versicolor,pityriasis alba or vitiligo.

Pityriasis versicolor is caused by an overgrowth of a yeast fungus and are found mainly on sun exposed areas. Pityriasis alba is a common hypopigmented dermatitis that occurs primarily in preadolescent children and sometimes in adults. This is a self-limited disorder that usually resolves by adulthood.Severe cases may benefit by Psoralen plus ultraviolet light A photochemotherapy (PUVA).

Vitiligo also causes pale, white patches to develop on the skin. This is because that particular area of skin has little or none of a type of pigment called melanin.It is also found mainly on sun exposed areas.It can be hereditary and often runs in families.Diagnosis can be confirmed by external examination, blood tests to check skin cell count  for melanocytes and biopsy of the skin patches.

I feel that your dermatologist is right in diagnosing it as caused by a fungal infection(pityriasis versicolor).Mostly people have the fungus causing it on their bodies normally.When they start to grow excessively that problems arise.It is not related to hygiene but profuse perspiration and high production of sebum (oil) by the skin make it easier for the fungus to multiply and spread.Diagnosed by external examination,wood lamp examination and KOH wet mount microscopy.Traetment includes ketoconazole (nizoral) or selenium sulfide shampoo.Severe cases may need itraconazole capsules (Sporanox).

Hope it helps.take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing and if you have any additional queries.

And these people think they are doctors.  It has been proven that you need at least 2.5 percent selenium sulfide to get rid of this problem.  You need a prescription for that.  There is also a product called Terrasil that will quickly remedy Tinea if that is what this truly is.