white spots on my upper back

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

white spots on my upper back

After returning from a months vacation and tanning perhaps 10 to 15 days on my own, I notice now some white spots on my upper back.  Obviously this was where the back was open to sun exposure.  I am going to ask the question, is it sun damage or fungus?  I have not attempted to scrape my skin to see if it goes away nor have I applied a special cream.  Although I do have an expensive cream my dermatologist gave me for acne and skin lesions.  I forgot the name of it but will post when I remember and am home.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Arlene,

Are there other signs or symptoms present? Tinea versicolor, a relatively common skin infection caused by a fungus presents with patches of discolored skin with sharp borders and fine scales that may appear lighter than surrounding healthy skin. The most common sites are the back, underarms, upper arms, chest, and neck.  

Diagnosis is microscopical analysis of the skin scrapings. If over the counter topical anti-fungal medicines does not improve your condition, it is best to see your doctor for further evaluation and management. You can read more about this through this link: : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinea_versicolor

Take care and keep us posted.
I started to look up this condition in images on the internet.  Although I have a loofah and even when on vacation used it all over my body.  Took showers 2 times a day cause of high humidity and just heat!  I did look up the Tinea versicolor you mentioned and it seems like something minor.  I don't know how to take this because I aim to take good care of myself.  Also I read somewhere that perhaps my skin can't resolve this issue on its own, is that true.?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The fungus that causes this is part of the normal adult skin. Factors that can cause the fungus to become more visible include high humidity, excessive sweating, oily skin and immune or hormone abnormalities. It often recurs after treatment, but usually not right away, so that treatment needs to be repeated. It may take several months for overall color to even out but it does not leave permanent skin discoloration. Take care and keep us posted.
i have been out in the sun alot n very burnt on my back. now i have white blotches on my upper back n rashes on my chest. whats happenin to me !