why do dark mark take so long to lighten

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Why do my skin always keep dark marks. I have alot of allergies so anytime i get a rash it leaves a dark mark. whenever I am brused it leaves a dark mark.
I have noticed that these marks can stay for a year and more. This is especially the case with my legs.
I've tried lightening creams but by the time a few marks get lighter I get more to replace them.
I just want to know, why do the dark marks I get take such a long time to lighten.
By the way, I am dark skinned and live in the Caribbean. Any suggestion would be appreciated
The knd of marks that you have are due to post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is a condition where there is an excess amount of pigment following a disease process that affects the skin.  Without treatment, this usually takes about 6 months to resolve and for the skin color to go back to its normal color.  Topical treatments with acids and chemical peels can be effective but can take a while for the skin to totally revert to its normal color.  

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.