Aa
A
A
Close
why do dark mark take so long to lighten
Why do my skin always keep dark marks. I have alot of allergies so anytime i get a rash it leaves a dark mark. whenever I am brused it leaves a dark mark.
I have noticed that these marks can stay for a year and more. This is especially the case with my legs.
I've tried lightening creams but by the time a few marks get lighter I get more to replace them.
I just want to know, why do the dark marks I get take such a long time to lighten.
By the way, I am dark skinned and live in the Caribbean. Any suggestion would be appreciated
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
563773 tn?1374250139
Hello,
The knd of marks that you have are due to post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation is a condition where there is an excess amount of pigment following a disease process that affects the skin.  Without treatment, this usually takes about 6 months to resolve and for the skin color to go back to its normal color.  Topical treatments with acids and chemical peels can be effective but can take a while for the skin to totally revert to its normal color.  

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Dermatology Community Resources