wierd skin rash in tattoo
for about 6 months now i have had this itchy spot on my upper right arm within my tattoo. once i start scratching it gets worse and i have to stop myself or else ill bleed.once i started scratching the first spot it has now turned into 5. there is one now that is not on the tattoo. i have had this tattoo for over 7 years without a problem. its seems to itch once or twice a day and doesnt go away even if i cover it with creams and bandaids. ive researched it but cant seem to figure out what it is and now im worried becouse it seems to be spreading but only on the skin in and around my tattoo. these spots look like if you had a mosquito bite that you never stopped scratching. my skin around it seems to feel a little thicker and kind of numb. they are flat and not bumpy. anyone have anything like this or any idea about it. im stumped
What youre all experiencing is indeed a fungal infection of the skin and all the A&D ointment and hydrocortisone in the world wont help. I experienced the same "rash" however its very similar to the fungal infections infants get in the diaper area. NOT DIAPER RASH! which Desitine clears up but a FUNGAL skin rash. simple over the counter fix is Miconazole cream also known as micatin or monostat. yes monostat like for yeast infections. apply it twice a day for a week and it will go away. the fungal infection may reoccur as most fungal infections live in our body in a dormant state. just like athletes foot comes back so will this but at least you can mamage it and treat it easily and without costly Dr visits. GOOD LUCK my ink loving friends.
I had a tattoo on my ankle redone. It's been over a year now and immidietly after getting the tattoo the heart which is red, had gotten infected almost like a huge pimple, I tried popping it nothing would come out finally after a few weeks of intense scratching cause it itched and hurt so bad I scratched out the bump. Went to the Dr. Imidiately with the cork like thing that came out of it the Dr took a test of it but showed nothing. I now have a hole in the tattoo and all around it has constant raises bumps that itch so bad it hurts to scratch. So if anyone can help me please please give me some help!
Hey guys im 14 and i went and got a tattoo from my friend(not profecional) but i seen him take the needles and everything out of the package brand new & everything now its 2 days later and i have these red&pink small bumps all over my body .. is it normal ? Please help
I had this same problem and it was horrible i have a tattoo covering my entire back and I had a reaction all over my back and i went to the doctor and nothing they gave me helped. so she said it was due to too much mercury in my body b/c i have 5 other red tattoos and my body was rejecting this one b/c it had nowhere to store the additional mercury. so i just decided to do a heavy metal detox and IT WORKS! OMG I THOUGHT THIS RASH WOULD NEVER GO AWAY! The detox was $12 and it took about a month and 2weeks. so try the pills or for faster results do a clay bath. i really hope this helps
Wow. I too was surprised to find so many folks with the same experience. The tattoo that is itching so much is about 10 years old. The same thing happened last summer - I didn't have insurance so asked my sister and brother-in-law (the nurse practitioner and dermal pathologist), and they said steroidal creme. Not able to get a prescription, I picked up some 1% hydrocortisone cream and endured until things cleared up about a month later. Now I've got insurance, and am experiencing the itching rash again. First doc said the same thing - more potent stuff but still a topical steroid, and also antihistamines for bed time to keep me from itching in my sleep.

A month later and I'm still itching, so I went to a dermatologist. It had cleared up a bit (and most of the affected area is under heavy blackwork), so the derm couldn't get a good bead on what could be going on and prescribed a heavier steroid and more antihistamines... Kind of a blow-off really. Not very interested that it seems localized to the tattood areas of my body.... oh - thought maybe bed bugs even though I live with my sweetheart who hasn't experienced bedbug bites. Waste of a visit really....
Ok, mine started today, on the red area of my tattoo. This Lichen thing you all talk about is similar to eczema. When does my eczema and most people's happen...when we are stressed. The birthday of my son who passed away is this month and just like every other time in my life...when life gets crappy, something happens to my body.
Maybe we need to relax more than meds. Since it is my first day with the bumps, I am just starting, but am hoping that you all find peace from the itch and inner peace!
i got a rash on part of my tattoo after being in the sun, just wondering if you put anything on it that made it go away. i've tried Caladryl and it makes the itching lessen, but if i rinse my arm off for any reason it starts itching like mad again. not sure what to use on it
I have the same thing you all are talking about that i too have red bumbs all over my body. I have a tramp stamp (tattoo on my lowerback). It healed fine that within the months it got bad to really bad in these 3 years. Red bumps that look like heat rash and itch like crazy, i went to the doctor and tried all these ointments still i have it. Will it make a difference if i get it removed?
I am having the same issue. My lower back piece which I had done a while back has small bumps that are itching like crazy. I have used Tea Tree Oil in the past for other skin irritations, and it has worked when nothing else did. I have been using it for this problem, and started seeing/feeling results immediately.
I'd love to know what's causing this. I spoke to a guy who works in the local convenience store, and he had the same problem with an older tattoo on his arm after being out in the sun. My problem seems to be in the green areas of my tattoo. His was isolated to the blue inked areas.
Hi guys, when the itching happens wash it with cold water and mild soap.
the tattoo blocks the skin pores and when you sweat it starts to itch. Keep it clean, wash it frequently with cold water.
Build up of sweat and bacteria causes it to itch and swell.
Wash your tattoo frequently and keep it clean.
Cold water and mild soap soothes the pain and don't touch it if it itches.
Also keep your immune system strong and drink lots of water, so your sweat won't be salty.
whats the cause of white spots in my new tattoo??? its been 2days since i have my tattoo then now ive got white spots..
I have the same problem, only in the summer time. A lite cover of pure Emu Oil Twice a day does the trick in about two weeks the bumps are all gone.
If you put it on to thick you might get red blimeses so just a lite cover will do best
i got a tattoo on my foot a few weeks ago that has loys of red. it has become bumpy and verrrry itchy suddenly.  i found that washing it with original dial antibac soap twice a day in cold water, let it dry for 45 mins, then put gold bond max relied itching ointment on it has helped a ton!  the bumps go down, it doesnt itch and it helps you to let it heal
I came down with the itch about a week an a half ago and then the bumps/rash came out on Monday this week. The tattoo that it has attached to is about 3-4 months old and I have 4 other tattoos that have been fine. This rash thing is only on the inner part of my arm between my elbow crease and armpit, and the colors are blue and grey. After reading all of the comments here yesterday, I noticed a trend of people using tea tree oil. I ran out and purchased some last night and have applied twice so far. Can anyone shed some light on how long I should use this, or how many times a day I should apply to get the best results. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
ive had my lucky cat tattoo on my fore arm for two years now and just in this past week ive been getting 2 little spots in it,i scarathed it earlier and when i broke the skin it started to sting quite abit for a while. dont undertand it as i have 7 other tats without any trouble just this one in paticular.
Just wondering, you said you get your rash in the summer...is the rash contained only to your tattoo, and what color ink? and does it clear up after a week or 2? The only reason I ask, is b/c it seems i am having the same problem. Pretty much the only thing I can relate it to is the sun. I get the rash on blue portions of my sleeve tattoo, usually a couple of days after sun exposure. I keep my arms covered while I have the rash, and once cleared up I wear short-sleeves again in the sun, and wallaaaa! the rash comes back! My rash has cleared up since the last "break out" and I've been holding off being in the sun....gonna see if it makes a pesky reappearance.
(also I should note, I've had this tattoo since December, had it touched up in February....didnt have any probs with it until sunlight exposure)
Just wondering, with regards to your reaction to blue ink, did the reaction only appear after sun exposure, and was it a raised, itchy rash that cleared after a week-2weeks? Seems I have developed some sort of allergy to the blue in my sleeve tattoo....the only thing I can connect it to is sunlight.  Last time it appeared I had been camping for 5 days and had gotten a lot of sun.  Two days later, the rash appeared again, in particular blue areas of my tattoo.  
I too experience a rash in the blue colors of my sleeve tattoo. I've experienced it 4 times now, only over the summer.  It has been most worst in the area near the crease of my arm....why I am not sure....maybe the skin is more sensitive there.  Been to 4 Docs. All, have diff opinions as to what is causing it. The last Dr. I saw gave me PhisoHex (antibact. soap) to use and Clindoxyl gel. It has cleared up again.... I am holding back from exposing it to the sun to see if this really is what is causing it.  One Dr. did tell me that you can develop a photosensitive reaction to metals in particular dyes, and the may only appear upon exposure. Just wondering if your reaction in the blue dye cleared up after a week or two, and has it come back???
Woah! Totally my issue! I got stars tattooed rounf my arch n by my big toe. Purple ink totally fine for months- I shld also mention that, that same day I got 3 circles done on my chest with same ink n same gun. The stars on both my feet- but not by my toes- have started making dry blisters, pealing, itching- so much so that I over scratch n often bleed. My artist said use lotion, my dr said I've never heard of this. I've been uusing cortizone cream that was prescribed for my eczema.. So far it hasn't helped. Its been a week since I started with the cortizone. I'm sorry I'm no help- but I thought I'd share my experience! Goodluck! I know I'll need it hahaha
I too share the excruciating painful aggravating itch from these many little tiny blisters of clear fluid on my fingers. I do hair and have kept a few here and there for many many yrs but recently have had a terrible outbreak. Another coworker at the salon has it too. She is using some cream from dr for dry skin that she had from another issue. The bottle she had said: triamc, ureac, menthol, camphor........whatever that is..lol. My mother and I came up with the idea of using desitin cream..works but still too moist to heal all the way. Tonight i'm trying moist at soothing care powder for chaffing and irritation..has zinc oxide like desitin but will keep it dryer since its a powder. Hopefully this will do the tric! Will repost soon to let u know.
Im so glad I'm not the ONLY 1.... I was freaking out. I went to the ER twice, the first time they told me I had poison ivy or poison oak. Gave me prednisone, benedrly tabs, and told me to use calamine lotion for itching. Well no work, it was ITCHING like CRAZY... I had to got back to the ER, at least this time the guy was like " good thing you don't have bugs" yeah I'm so excited, but WTF do I have, NOT poison oak or ivy. He don't know I'm having allergy to somthg. Long story short went to specialist, he don't even know. So now I'm taking Zyrtec 10mg, fluticasone propionate cream...... Steroids I'm assuming. But I've tried it all neosporin,, alcohol, toothpaste, benadryl pills and the cream,hydrocortisone cream, cortisone creams, lotion, no lotion. Itch x, lotramin, triple paste, desulym, you name it I've tried it..... NO JOKE... I know hott water is not good but I let it burn it in shower and I get about 7-10 min of ITCH relief... But other than that I have found NOTHING ARRRRGGGG.... I'm sending away for Advandan cream. Fingers crossed. Good luck all. If I find somthg I WILL SHARE...
Guess What? i have the same problem a year now i have a tattoo to a piece of my back and to the half of the hand and if i scratch it it itches like crazy it doesnt stop . i have noticed that hot showers make it worse. i am really thinking of removing it but will it make it stop or it will make it worse.
a tat i had gotten in February started with the same symptoms, only a part of the tat area was itchy and swollen, i have mild case of psoriasis so i have some Halobetosol Propionate Ointment not the cream so i put some on the area that was itchy after three days there was a big difference much better. my two cents is that i think once the itching starts via a scratch, insect bite or something and you start to scratch your body also starts to combat the ink as a foreign matter hence the itching. I'm not a doctor but that's what makes sense to me so its very important not to scratch or touch the area.
Like a number of you here, I came up with a rash of bumps in old ink, in my case several years. I had never had any trouble with my tattoos. I have a traditional Japanese half sleeves which extend to the chest. In my case, the tattoo bumps occurred only on the inside of my arms. They did not itch, though I know for many of you they can. The rash was widespread in that area and the bumps only occurred inside the ink. There were no bumps in the inkless areas around the tattoo so I knew clearly that the bumps were being caused  by the ink itself.  [By the way, just as an aside, I must have had the absolute WORST time to discover these bumps—at the Olympics, at the London Athletics arena, right before the women’s 400 relay, the one where the US women set a world record…. Kind of hard to pay attention to the what should be an amazing life experience when you just looked down to see that  someone has injected you with smallpox.]

But I digress….

Because they only occurred on the inside of my arms and in summer made me think that it must be down to a fungal infection caused by sweating and perhaps an inability of my skin to clear itself due to sweating, etc. etc. Some of you suggested Flucazonole and I tried that first. And…no effect. In a way, I was okay with that, because I wanted to rule things out. So no fungus. But what was it?
Continued (sorry)
The next thing on the list was a strong steroid cream. So I went to the doctor, warned her in advance about the scary tattoos she was about to see (new doctor for me) and she had a look. Going to the doctor was a very good move. She echoed what many of you have experienced, saying that it is possible that your skin can have a reaction to the ink even after many years of no reaction at all. I mentioned that some people on this site had had good experiences with steroid creams and suggested Dermovate as one that someone had used here. She agreed that would seem to be a good choice and wrote me out a prescription.

Time for the mini experiment. One arm got the Dermovate, twice a day, the other didn’t. The result? The arm that got the Dermovate showed signs of the bumps disappearing in a matter of days. In a week it was almost all gone. The other arm was ALSO starting to disappear (both arms had shown improvement before I even went to the doctor). It has only just gone completely, about a month later than the Dermovate-applied arm.

So what is the upshot of all this? It’s a temporary skin reaction, not a permanent situation or dangerous condition.  In my case it took about 6 to 10 weeks to disappear (6 in the arm that got the cream). Steriodal cream will hasten the process and for some of you who have this a long time, it might be a real help.

When I continue my tattoos, I’ll be armed (no pun intended) with the knowledge that it WILL go away though it may take longer in some people and with some colours. Just one of the prices we pay to have something that gives us  such meaning and self-definition. Hope this helps.
Use sudocreme it seems to work pretty well I've had the same thing it's driving me nuts, seems to flair up in the warmer weather not all the time just every now and then but it does go away! Good luck and try not to scratch.
Its called Contact Dermatitis.Doesn,t matter what colour the ink or area is its caused by the skin being previously scarred & coming into contact with nasty stuff ,like oils,greases,washing powders or liquids etc.I was diagnosed today.I normally get it on my hands after contact with Hydraulic oils & chemicals etc.It seems that since my Tattooing(inside of wrist & finishing a sleeve) was freshish & it got dirty it got the infection instead of my hands.Doc,s prescribed Advantan & Stopped the itch immediately.Sweating inside clothes that have been harshly washed will cause it as well.It,s never gonna completely go away & will reoccur.Gotta change your washing & working habits to avoid it.Hope everybody is feeling better now cause I thought my collection would end with just 2 sleeves but now i can continue my Tattoo Journey.
I recently came back from sxsw here in Austin tx. I have had a sleeve of four major big stars for about 6 mons When I came back from the long week of being out in the sun which i did use sunscreen the whole week, yesterday afternoon I was heavily cleaning my car and everything was fine until when I came back from vacuuming my floors, pulling up to my lot I noticed my lower black and turquoise star was raised with bumps and started itching. I'm not an itcher or a scratcher I just have been using oatmeal lotions, benzoyl creame and vita e lotion but it still itches. It's pretty big and swollen and bumpy. What do I do???
that's happened to me now
I have my dogs paw tatted on me in black ink and I got a really annoying white bumpy rash around the tattoo
then I noticed that I have the same thing on my hand tat
it looks kinda like flea bites but it falls under the same description that everyone else was talking about
I have had my hand tat for 2 years
and my arm tat for about a year and never have had an issue with my tats until now
Did you ever figure out what was wrong?
I know my tattoo artist and I got both done by her at a shop.
Just like you, I know there were no dirty needles used, and the ink was fine
same hell I'm going through... ugh
I had a Stargazer Lily done on my foot almost two years ago.  After a year the darker purple dots on the petals raised up and itched like mad!  The only thing that has helped is after showering I put coconut oil all over it a couple of times.  I also wash my feet at night and do the same thing.  After doing it for a week straight the bumps went away completely.  Life got a bit hectic for a couple of weeks so I haven't had a chance to keep up with it and they came back.  As long as I keep on top of it they go away.  I read the "red ink" comments and scared myself but the rest of the flower is pink/purple which has red in it and that is totally fine.  At first I thought it was because that was the only place that the artist used one needle but then it clicked that the stamens aren't raised at all.  Weird.  Try coconut oil, If it doesn't work for you then at least you can use it for a bunch of other stuff!
i have the same problem i have had these tats for years and now i have these bugs on my tat in different spots they itch like hell and the ones on my leg turn to sores! ive scratched my arms so much that the tats are sore! and its not all of them. after you scratch them the top of the bumps come off and makes holes and you can see the ink and sometimes they bleed. iwent to the doctor and he gave me a script for an antibiotic called cephalexin but its not working and its starting to spread around my tat on my leg when i scratch it, it looks dry and flaky do anybody know what this is?
I have the same problem! The red ink area of my tattoo looks nasty with those huge bumps.. Itches so much.. That's almost orgasmic! Once you start scratching it, good luck trying to stop it.
Like everyone here, i've tried every single thing with no success. I went to My MD and to the best dermatologist in NY area.. After a biopsy i was diagnosed with Lichen Planus. This condition comes and goes with stressful situations in your life.. Well, they prescribed me very expensive ABs, lotions, etc.. No results. Lately i've using oral novacaine gel on the area just to numb it so i stop scratching it.
There is a new infection spreading around NY area, related to grey ink tattoos. Its a very resistant type of mycobacteria. This is related to those cases that the tattoo gets small little bumps.  

It was my very first and also last tattoo.

i have been on a clean diet for over a year now and i got the rash also dont think its what we eat
hey Dreberry i was wondering if u got the name of the cream ur were prescribed because seeing these rash is making be CRAZY lol
Omg this explains the same problem that I am having a got a tatoo 5 years ago with a big red rose and now it has a itchy rash in the center of it. I thought it was an allergic reaction so I took benadryl however, the rash is still there :(
Ok, so 4 years later here I am still suffering.

I can shed some light to many unanswered questions.

1. The blood curdling itch on the tattooed area is from cadmium contained in the red ink. It's the body's immune system recognising that the cadmium in the ink is a forgein body and fighting  (hence the rash). My rash started after laser, the drs explanation was the ink reacted with the laser changing the chemical compound in the ink hence the rash.

2. The body rash is a result of the reaction to the red ink, also known by dr as a kinch reaction.

3. Treatment varies; I've been through 2 dermatologists the later being Sydney's best professor....he prescribed steroid based creams, and steroid injections. I've had both treatments...the later only helped for 3 weeks after that the reactions started up again. The skin became so fragile that I've had to stop all steriod treatments.

Then I went back to tattoo artist/removal.  Who suggested I go back for tattoo laser removal. This is my second week after treatment, so far the results look promising. The itch in the tattoo has stopped, the body itch has recently just started up again.

So after trying all remedies from natural to steriod injections. What do I recommend....

Get it removed.  The tattoo area will never heal using any treatments above.
So long as the body's immune system detects the cadmium in the red ink as a foreigner it was never stop trying to fight it.

i have this too... mine is mainly in the black ink. and in lesser degree in all  colors. its a series of micro pinpoint bumps ive learned not to scratch. ive noticed its only on the inside of lower arm from wrist to elbow on the tender skin (full sleeve tattoo) the front or outside of arm unaffected. i soak in Bragg organic unfiltered vinegar. and expose to sun light, gold bond foot powder soothes the burn a bit, I switched soaps to dr. bronners pure hemp oil castile soap. .  i believe it to be fungus based. deprive it of oxygen with oils vitimin e oil, pure orange oil, tea tree oil and expose to sunlight... make high acidic vinegar soaks daily. this knocks mine down but you must be continuous and regimented even after it goes away continue for a while like an antibiotic.
So this same lumpy, itchy rash has just appeared on my ankle. I did have a lot of sun on the weekend and am curious if many of you have had more sun than usual on your tattoo before it happened ?
Not sure if it is related, but I have also lost my appetite and become quite nauseous over the last couple days, about the same time the rash started !
I put Soov on it, which is an antiseptic pain relief cream. Took away the itching straight away but it came back after a couple hours. I've only been using it for a day, so I'm not sure if it will clear up the rash, but I will also try the tea tree... Hope you're all doing okay ❤️
Ive had a lot of tattoos done over the last few years. Most of them full colour. I have never had any issues with any allergies or anything and have quite a lot of red inks (which are the main culprits apparently).
However I have been under a lot of stress at work lately and developed some crazy rash on the backs of my hands and arms. I had near the time of this, got a new piece tattooed on my arm and after a full colour thigh piece. Both of which seemed to go weird and flaky even when healed. The rash on my hands was diagnosed as Lichen Planus and the doctor said it was triggered by stress. As this Lichen is basically your immune system overworking, it makes it start to attack skin cells, causing the flat topped bumps which are itchy in most cases. They then said as the tattoos were fairly new, the Lichen would be more than likely attacking them more causing them to appear red and very dry (appearing to be an allergy). I dont think it is an allergic reaction, just a side effect to this other horrid stuff which can last 18 months to years! Wheyy! :(
Anyone with these flat topped bumps that look quite dry on the top, get it checked for Lichen Planus. Im now using steroid cream on my tattoo that is efeected but have to be patient and let the other bumps (now all over my legs) go away in time.
It ***** and I am very sad that I may be too scared to get tattooed again. But hey ho! Hope this helps guys.
This seems to be something a lot of us have dealt with and that none of us have a ton of answers to. I'm not even sure we're all battling against the same thing even though we've all got remarkably similar symptoms, in the grand scheme of things an persistent itchy rash isn't so rare a symptom all things considered.

My most recent session on my sleeve (black and grey) was to put color in on the outer forearm. Same artist and ink as the previous sessions. Healed beautifully, about 3 weeks after fully healed is when I got my bumps. Artist suggested an ink allergy but I don't buy it, the whole piece is in the same ink. and only the newest sessions work is showing symptoms and only on the outer and inner forearms where I would put the area under pressure more often. The work on the triceps and elbow are both as smooth as any other part or my body.

I wanted to go to see a dermatologist but I currently live in an Asian country where "Dermatologist" really means "skin tightener and whitener". Hundreds of dermatology clinics near by, but all of the "spa" variety and can't afford to get into an international hospital to have it looked at. Bought a corticosteroid called Betnovate-N (.5% Neomycin Sulphate BP and .1% Betamethasone valerate BP in the event that brand name doesn't pop).

Immediately stopped the spreading of the bumps, knocked the itching down a ton and what' still there is beginning to shrink down and fade away. It's only been 3 days. It's not back to smooth and I don't know if it will get there, I was told not to use the cream longer than 7 days, but at least it's progress instead of worsening and I'm not so afraid to finish up my sleeve either. Has definitely given me reservations about future work but not enough to make me want to the pull the plug on my sleeve 2 sessions short of finished.

I know some of you have been trying (and to no effect) corticosteroids for your bumps, but just wanted to share, this is seemingly the only good thread of information on the internet about this issue.
I got a tattoo about 2 weeks ago, and about a week later had a major allergic reaction to what I think was the red butterfly I got (I have 13 other tattoos but none with red ink they were all green, blue, purple, pink...ect..) anyway I broke out in hives that ITCHED like crazy, went to the doctor they put me on Prednisone for 10 days, so the rash stopped itching and went away around my tattoo, BUT now I have a rash of small bumps all over my underarm (same arm of tattoo) chest, and forehead, it doesn't itch at all, just looks like I am breaking out, is this the same thing, does it spread, when will it go away?! please help! I don't want any more of the Prednisone it affected me too... blurry vision, feeling very very loopy... any suggestions are welcome please help!
I have had this tattoo on my sternum for approximately 12 years or so and about a year and half ago I had it touched up and last week Wednesday or Thursday after sleeping on my belly for awhile (cant sleep long on belly anymore) the next day I had this rash and bumps only on a portion of the tattoo.  strange - I did start using Goatmilk cream  - so not sure what it could be. yes very itchy and bumpy sort of like poison ivy - I've been pretty good about not scratching it but i have moments... I am using hydrocortizone cream but so afraid of it peeling off yikes...and leaving a hideous scar.
Matty I too have a tattoo on my right forearm and the whole background is done in the light teal blue color, and that is where mine bumps are.  Specifically on the edges of it. It is about a year old and I did not notice anything different about its healing until a month or so later, then the bumps started rising up and the itchy really got my attention. I also have other tattoos on my body and never had any problem with them either.  I asked my artist and his opinion is that besides the skin on the forearm is very much different than anywhere else on the body and therefore takes ink very different from anywhere else on the body, but he believes my body is rejecting some pigments in the ink. Why only this tattoo, I don't know. Why only this "blue" color on this tattoo, another I don't know.  I sure wish I did.
I have dealt with this in the past one year on from having a tattoo on my forearm itchy bumps all over it. eventually cleared up on its own after approx 6 months ( sorry i know 6 months isnt what you want to hear ) that was around 10 years ago and never had problems with that tat again. Anyway now started again on a recent tattoo approx 1 year old itching like crazy, heres to another 6 months of annoyance.
I did my 6th tattoo last week and I have a lot of red dots and fluid-filled rashes, but not on the tattoo - only around it. And it itches like crazy! Thing is, my tattoo artist (one of the best in Sweden) told me to heal the tattoo with wrap on it for the first 3-4 days (plastic) and I think this might have done something.

I've tried to find what it is but no luck. I don't even know if the thing you get is the same - my rashes are not on the tattoo at all. This is the second time I've had color in the tattoo but my first only has very little red and blue. This one has blue, brown, yellow, green, red and orange.

I don't know what's happening and I've never had a bad reaction to tattoos before. So I think maybe this wrapping thing's really ruined it for me. I just hope my leg isn't ruined...
I got a tattoo on the lower part of my back about 10 years ago and now for the past 6 months I have a rash that is only in the area of the tattoo.  looks like a lot of raised bumps that itch like crazy.  These bumps don't appear to be filled with any kind of liquid.  My tattoo is primarily made up of a bluish color with some black.  It is absolutely driving me crazy.
I got a huge forearm sleeve and weeks later it broke out in a huge rash. My advice to you guys is go to a dermatologist and they will most likely prescribe clobetasol. It is very pricey but it works. You can Find coupons for it on line though might cost you like 35-48 bucks with coupon. 90-200 bucks without. It works, its the only thing that works. But you need a prescription.
Has anyone found the answer to the problem? I have a tattoo that is over 10 years old, and out of no where two raised blister like bumps have a appeared. Some times theyll itch and look like a dry patch if I dont put some kind of moisturizer on it. What is it?