wierd skin rash in tattoo

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

wierd skin rash in tattoo

for about 6 months now i have had this itchy spot on my upper right arm within my tattoo. once i start scratching it gets worse and i have to stop myself or else ill bleed.once i started scratching the first spot it has now turned into 5. there is one now that is not on the tattoo. i have had this tattoo for over 7 years without a problem. its seems to itch once or twice a day and doesnt go away even if i cover it with creams and bandaids. ive researched it but cant seem to figure out what it is and now im worried becouse it seems to be spreading but only on the skin in and around my tattoo. these spots look like if you had a mosquito bite that you never stopped scratching. my skin around it seems to feel a little thicker and kind of numb. they are flat and not bumpy. anyone have anything like this or any idea about it. im stumped
well although rare it is possible to become "allergic" to the ink....Most commonally with RED pigments. It could also be your skin is trying to reject the impurities of the ink. However if you are experiecning a reaction to the ink, it can last a long long time.

It is common for people to experience they're tattoos become raised, and bumpy, it usually only last a few minutes to an hour, and that is the fact that the scar tissue of the tattoo is "inflamed" (any scar will tend to do that) which usually happens if youve been in the sun for too long, or in hot shower.

Also your skin maybe reacting to what your putting on it, most of the time if your tattoo does break out in itchy bumps its usually the lotions/creams your using, when you do have an outbreak any tattoo artist will tell you to stop using all ointments/lotion, and let the tattoo "dry out" and do its thing.

My best advice would be to see a dermatologist and make sure its something that is not serious, or even unlrealted to the tattoo....

good luck
thanks for the reply. i wasnt putting anything on it but i tried bag balm and a few other creams. i have been putting neosporin on it and it seems to help. i still have the 5 spots but they dont itch as much and they arent such big "holes" like they used to be.
I have the same problem and have for some time.  I have a large tattoo on my leg with a red flower in the middle of it.  There are many different colors in this tattoo but only that red is giving me the problem.   I've had this tattoo for years without any problems and now that one flower is pretty much ruined.  I started out using neosporin and that did not work.  My doctor then had me try Lotrimen cream.  That seemed to help with the iching for a few days but it always comes back.  I'm going to have him send me to a dematoligist.  Do you have any new information since you posted this?  
This itching may be a form of skin fungus which does itch a lot and is hard to get rid of,  I suggest you try tea tree oil, use a cotton ball to apply the oil.  There may be a burning sensation but it will subside.
Thanks.......I'll give it a try.
I have this exact same problem. I first noticed it approx 6 months ago and it has slowly gotten worse and spread over that time. Everything mentioned in this thread matches my symptoms perfectly athough i have not been able to find any information personally.
  Both of my legs and arms are sleeved and I have never had a problem with any of my tattoos. I have'nt had any work done in several years and this particular Tattoo with the symptoms is probably 6 years old. It has never itched or looked like a problem before. It healed normally when I got it.
The infected Tattoo is  basically all of the light blue on my entire right sleeve. It started out as a few small bumps that itched like crazy. I dont us lotion or anything like that but thought it may possibly be the soap I was using so I switched brands.That is obviously not the case.
  I know that I need to see a dermatologist but I do not have an insurance that will cover that. If I had some type of idea of what it was and how serious then I could better decide whether I should go to one anyway or just learn to deal with it. Either way.....Not knowing what is going on is the most frustrating part. I have asked several artists who all same the same thing "The lotion you are using is causing it...Stop and let the tattoo dry out" Thats a load of BS. First of all, if ive had the tattoo for 6 years ive had pretty much everything on the tattoo that could possibly be on a human body. Every temprature, condition, lotion, weather. Why all of the sudden and why in just one particular color done in one particular session.......6 years ago!!!!!"
  I'm sorry i do not have more information to add to the thread. My point in posting was basically to tell you guys that you are not alone and hopefully we can all get some helpful answers.
I tried the tea tree oil and it did stop the itching for me.  It's not the greatest smelling stuff but it was cheap and stopped the itching.  If you get more information please post it here.
the rash that i am getting started only in the red of my tattoo. The more i scratched it the more it spread. its little blister like bumps and itches like crazy. I have had this tattoo for about three years without a problem and my other tattoos with the same color in them don't do this.
i got a swallow tat and 2 days later i had a few bumps that itched and it jus keeps geting bigger the tat has pink ,dark pink ,blue and green the artist who did it said it was the A & D clogging my pores but i stoped using it and its getting worse

I got a tattoo done on my whole back in black ink a year ago. Two weeks later I was going to sleep and i thought i felt what seemed to be some kind of bugs crawling around in my back, they were itching the hell out of me, and ever since then I know have these itchey red bumps and a couple of little blister like bumps. It has also changed the skin on my face a little as well. It isa not as bad as it sounds but it is uncomfortable at times and I was just wondering if anybody had sucess in getting rid of there syptons or had what im talking about and got rid of that also. Ive been to three dermatologist and two said it was falleculitious and they're medicines did not work. The other gave me cortizone cream that did not work either. I also had one of them write me a perscription for mites because of the bugs i thought i was feeling in my skin and that did not work either. Im gonna try the tea tree oil. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The symptoms began a year after the tattoo was done. An allergic reaction may still be a differential here. However this is not very likely now, as the symptoms appear to be far delayed. This sensation of crawling bugs on your back may be nerve related. These blisters may be herpetic skin lesions. This is the differential I can readily think of given the symptoms and presentation.

Have you had chicken pox before?
I am expeirencing the same thing. I am glad I'm not alone but I'm sorry others have to endure this pain in the butt. Same thing, I've had tattoos for year and all of a sudden, I got the itchy little bumps. I went to the dermatologist. He seemed more interested in the the 40 year old girls that were getting Botox injections. Whatever... Anyways, he prescribed me some Dermatop cream. It's a steriod base cream. It helps a little but I still deal with it damn near hourly. OTC Max strenght Hyrdocordisone cream seems to be just as effective. PLEASE!!!! Anyone whom finds success with a product, PLEASE LET US KNOW!!!
I just got this tat last week on my leg. I had an allergic reaction to the yellow colour, so I went 2 the doctors and got sum antibiotics..everything was fine for a few days, my leg was healing and it wasn't swollen anymore.. BUT 2day I got this awful red rash around the tattoo.. and it itches like crazy. and when i itch around the tattoo i get these bumps,.... is this normal or should i go to the doctors again?
everyone seems to be really interested in stopping the itching and not getting rid of the rash, has anyone rash completely cleared up? i've got the same thing on mine half of it has dried and is flaky the other is still spreading, its come up pretty quickly over the last week and a half.
i've had the tatt for 7months now, and like most of you i've been getting tatts for several years which are not affected at all.
i'm seeing a dermatologist on monday, so ill let u guys know what is suggested to me.
nice to know im not alone :)
I have had my tattoo on my leg for years. now all of a sudden I have the itchy, raised bumps within the tattoo. I have all colors in mine. It is weird because it is following my tattoo around the leg and not on my regular skin. So that tells me its the ink and I am having a allegric reaction or the ink is bad for us.  It feels like I am turning into a reptile!  I have been putting rubbing alcohol that's 97%. It seems to stop the itching for awhile.
I have the same sort of rash as you guys seem too. Just as some of you have mentioned it seems to appear only where there is ink in the skin. It seems to be slowly spreading and I want to at least stop it or hopefully clear it up. Anyone who knows of a definite diagnosis or treatment PLEASE help me!
sorry guys i completely forgot to inform you what happened at my appointment, 3 dermatologists from the same clinic advised me that the rash was not serious an that due to the fact i am tattooed all over my body it can not be due an allergy.

i can't remember the exact term it was a lychin or lykin based disease, he gave me a cream which worked in a week the bumps where gone , i have to continue use till my next appointment.

give me a day and ill get the name of the cream for you guys it is prescription medicine so see what you can do
i got that same problem , i've got 3 tat's and about a month ago we , got a kit from ebay, the ink came with it , so my husband , which has done lots of tat's , put a flower on my leg. 2 days later , i started iching. then got res spots and very dry skin, flacking and all the good stuff , then i got bumps ,little red ones , some of the color had even faded,i wash it real good and add a little a&d , but after reading this i think i'll just wash it and let it go , too see what happens , i think it's in the ink and so does my husband , they say sometimes ink is cut with mouth wash , even befor you get it , so iam thinking that is couseing the problem., we got new ink now all made out of organte , nothing added . we are going to do a small tat and see if i have any problem with the new ink .. i'll keep you posted... ***@**** PA
I have read the thread but I hope someone can help me. I got my first tattoo Sept 19. Yesterday I woke with pink rash (not itchy or painful) all around the tattoo (the tatt is fine just still sore). I was using Lubriderm unscented & the artist told me to use Neosporin cream. It has only been about 14 hours now so I guess it takes time. Looks like the bumps have stopped spreading but it turned a brighter red. Should I go to the dermotologist? Or my regular Doc? I feel really ingnorant that I didn't think or read about the possible side effects of tattoos :-(
I've had this darn thing on me for going on 25 years and just noticed the bumps without itching. It does not have color except dark blue.  I suspect it is a form of  "lichen planus". I just rubbed liquid vit.  E into it Its has only been about a week that I noticed the "bumps" Bag balm seemed not have any effect.  I'll stay tuned to the site .  I'm going bath it with "Chlorhexidine Gluconate(12%) that I got from the dentist for suspected oral lichen planus. I have HepC and the usual array of related symptoms (migaines, sore joints and the like) Just when everthin' seemed to be going good this has to fall on you.  Not to make light of the condition or any other.  I just want there to continue to be hope in this world. Mixwill
i am so relieved to hear im not the only one this has happened to.
Ive had this tattoo for almost a year now and never had a problem with it..and all of a sudden only in the purple of my tattoo it will get puffy and itch..and when i start to itch it spreads and feels all tingly. IT FREAKS ME OUT! So.. this is prob. just a allergic reaction to the ink ..that will eventually go away or no?
I am currently dealing with the exact same thing you are all talking about, and I have been researching it as much as I can.

Here is something I found that may help you all:

Lichen Amyloidosis

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1123423-overview

It seems like what we all have.  I could be wrong, and I know only a dermatologist can correctly diagnose us, but I, along with many on here it seems, do not have insurance.  I will keep watching this community in case someone has more insight, and I will update if I do go to the doctor for treatment...
I have had the same problem for the past 2-3 weeks on my tattoo. I have had this tattoo for 10 years with no problem till now. In my case I did the tattoo myself and I know the needles were clean and the ink wasn't cut. It is only on the black ink in my case.

has anyone here figured out yet what the cause or cure if any. I itch like crazy and stated off with a few small bumps and now have 30-40 little ones in a cluster.

Need more info and help please, anyone!
I also have this problem.  I have a half sleeve and the rest of my arm is fine except for one part on the top.  It is extremely itchy and bumpy.  I always use rosebud salve on my lips and realized its pretty much a multipurpose skin moisturizer to so I figured why not slap some on my arm.  I did that about two weeks ago and it provides immediate itch relief and I have noticed my bumps start to shrink and basically just become dry skin.. hope this helps...

you can find this stuff at sephora(6 dollars) or bath and body works(5 dollars). its in with the lip care stuff. i suggest the kind from  sephora because it is thicker and works better.
http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P42204&categoryId=B70
i'm going through the same  tattoo is ten years old now but sure enough i've got the same rash and burning itchy sensation my tat is one colour blue/black its driving me crazy soi'm going to visit my doctor i'll keep you all posted
i did visit the doctor but had to endure the cold shivers at night first and hot sweats during the day i was off food for five days anyway it turns out it has turned into a skin infection needing seven days of anti biotics 2 days in and it is clearing up hopethis helps some of you regards Al
Pheeewwwww.......i was totally freaked out when i saw my tat all bumped up....with the small itchy bumps i thought it was some type of reaction but the tat is atleast 8months old......i used some cream that was prescribed to my 14month old daughter for diaper rash....and so far (2 days now) the itch has almost completely stop and the rash is starting to dry and clear....ill find out exactly what is called and let you all know.....
I have read several peoples post in this thread and offering their own solutions. But when a new person posts they dont seem to mention anything about any of them. I'm just wondering if any of yall have tried the other peoples options?
hey i got a tattoo about 2 weeks ago and it is a red star on my forearm
and now i hage a huge what looks like to be a rash all over my arms, it is so itchy , ive been using gold bond anti itch cream and it takes the itch away but it made it worse i am going to a docter today
any advice please ***@****
I am having the same problem. I am on process to have a sleeve done, my back ink tatoo is about 3 months old. Last week it started off witha few redish bumps...they ar espreding a little bit, they are no itchy tho. I am putting a lot of moister cream, and i satred using Polysporin ( the artist gave it to me to heal the tattoo) without any help. Today i put on Hydrosone, See if it works....

Im Freaked out
Yeah after a few weeks it has bes spreading, although has gotten better too. I stoped using Hydrosone, and put on an antibiotic cream called Fucidin ( preinscription).

Afetr a few weeks a used " Doctor Burt's Res-Q Ointment" wich seems to be helping..

hey guys
I had a tatto done on my right arm 10 days ago ...and 3 days after i got the tattoo done , i started developing rashes all over my body...from neck to my feet.
My tattoo yet looked awsm but the surrounding area,my chests,stomach area n legs were covered in rashes.
I visited the dermotologist n he suggested my to use moisturizing creams to stop the skin from dryin, sm seroid tablets for anti allergy and sm other tablets to remove the rashes completely.
Its just been two days since iv bin under this medication. I shall let u people know if my rashes dissapear n if it does, i shall give you the names of the meds.
Iv bin goin thru hell cuz i tght i wuz suffrn from some sorta HIV.
Anyways hope this helps you all.
Cheers
I got my tat 'bout 2 months ago on my forearm that has red ink and have the same rash. One thing I know is my brother doesn't use an auto clave to sterilize his needles, he is a 'scratcher'. I saw him open up fresh sterile packed needles so I'm thinkin' what ever gave me this rash may have been in the barrel. I have a tatto on my ankle done with red ink that's 'bout 8 years old and there is absolutly nothing wrong with it.
I too have these itchy bumbs within my tattoo on my lower leg.
I have been to a dermatologist three times now and he gave me a cream called Dermovat, which helped the itching and reduced the bumbs, but whenever I stop using this cream the bumbs comes right back.

I do not know what to do, because it is clear to me that I am allergic to the ink
.
What options do I have besides getting it removed (which I really dont want)?
I went to my dermotologist once more and asked him some questions regarding this ink allergi.

He told me that it will go away eventually, but in rare cases it does not.
He also told me to be very careful with tattoos in the future.

So basicly if you have itchy bumbs within your tattoo, the only thing that really works is to ride it out.
HOLY ****!!! I have this EXACT same thing! Ive had tattoos for over ten years now and these weird raised bumps within the tats stop by to say hello every now and again. Have no idea what they are but they itch like CRAZY! I just went and bought some benadryl and some cream to rub on them to help the itch. Not really working. So strange. The bumps follow the ink lines and spread to other areas of the tattoo if I keep scratching. WTF??  Glad I'm not alone in this. Maybe we shouldn't be putting ink under our skin! hahaa  

Please let me know if there is a cure to this madness thanks
gm
p.s.

It's not just in the red inked areas, it's everywhere! This one time it got so bad that I had to go to the hospital. They gave me a shot of some sort and then it was magically better for a few years. I need another shot  :/

gm
thank god im not the only one going thro this. except my bumps dont itch there really big red painful and pus filled. i have been wasing them w dial a few times a day my ankle is all swollen and very painful. im to embarrassed to go back to the tattoo shop i dont want them to think im a freak but this thing hurts. idk what to do!! my tattoo has no red in it its all black and i have a tattoo on that foot and a few others idk why this one is doing it. i dont have any health insurance and i cant afford a dr bill idk what to do!!! any suggestions?
i am having the same problem with a tat on my foot that is four years old. but like some it is only in the purple ink. im using 100% tea tree oil and it helps. the same thing happened to my friend and thats what they used to clear it up. so i hope this helps. good luck~
I got a tattoo three weeks ago, i scratched it because it was itchy then that morning i seen pimple like bumps on the outline and in the middle of my tattoo. But might i add that my tattoo is done in all black. And it is on my foot. But this isnt my first tattoo its my second. but i got the artist to also fix my back strange this is happening because it never started on my back. Now on my legs there is hive like rash thats traveling up my stomach to my arms and on my face pretty much my whole body. My friend also got a tattoo done by the same artist and she had the exact same thing. Docters told her it was an allergic reaction to the ink. Now i went to TWO docters. which they both gave me a prescription for steriod cream. She went to the docter got cream/pills & 5 needles in her tattoo tell me something isnt wrong here?
Im very worried and really need some advice
I am SO relieved that I am not the only one out there! I thought it was suspicious when my tattoo of over 10 years developed a rash, with all the same symptons everyone else has described.  I have yet to find any sort of relief for it.  Before that rash came about, I had a newer one on one of my wrists that developed a rash. My tattoo artist told me that wrists, and top of feet commonly try to "reject" the tattoos.  I had that rash for over a year, and one morning, it disappeared.  THe color in the tattoo (blues) appeared scarred and miscolored...but in another year, that in turn fixed itself as well.  Now you cant tell I ever had a problem in that tattoo.  Which seemed great, until about 3 months later my older tattoo broke out (the one described above).   I have no treatments to offer, but I suppose there is hope now.  Think I might try that tea tree oil...or possibly wait it out in hopes it will eventually fix itself.  Thanks everyone for all your posts out there..I was getting pretty worried about my tats!
I forgot something I wanted to add...those of you adults using neosporin...stop!  I work alongside a couple of doctors and I have recently learned that a studay was put out a couple years that proved that neosporin does not work on adults.  Instead use polysporin.  That is all that our hospital provides anymore.  Neosporin would still be useful on children, but something in it can actually slow the healing in adults.  
Thanks for all this advice. 3 weeks ago I got my second tattoo, a large portrait of my two dogs that passed away... it was horribly painful (I am a wuss) but means the world to me. I flipped out two days ago when I developed an itchy hive-like pimply rash on my tattoo. I have been taking Benadryl, applying A&D ointment and hydrocortisone cream sparingly, and laying off the lotion, etc. It doesn't seem to be getting better and I am terrified that it will scar my tattoo. I am far more worried about that then dealing with the incessant itching. At least some of your posts give me hope --- that if I ride it out and don't scratch it maybe my tattoo will be okay. I am worried now mostly because my tattoo is newer than most of the ones discussed here, so perhaps it is not as healed and therefore not as protected from marring.....

I will go and try some Tea Tree Oil & Rosebud Salve ASAP!!!

I will definitely chime back in here if I find a miracle cure.

-Julianne
My tattoo is on my leg, all black ink, only a few months old. I have the same itchy bumps on my tattoo, it stays on the ink only and spreads all over. My tattoo is about the size of my hand and it may clear up in one area but still be bumpy in another spot. No cortizone creams work, no benadryl. This itches like crazy and i scratch til it is super red and near bleeding, usually in my sleep. I have 13 other tattoos and no problems with them ever. I definitely plan to see a dermatologist soon, can't take this anymore.
my tattoo was about 3 weeks old when the rashes appeared. liitle bumps on and around the ink. i tried letting it dry out, lotioned it more, but neither of these worked. So i used the hydrocortisone i had from a previous skin rash on my leg. i used it for about a week and was ready to give up. i tried for another two days and noticed the bumps were drying out and getting smaller. i used it for another day and let it dry out for about two more days. the bumps were flattened out and dry. i started lotion back up and after two weeks from day one of the hydrocortisone treatments my tattoo and skin is finally healing over like my other 10 tattoos on various parts of my body.. patience and not panicking is vital.  Hydrocortisone worked for me. i hope it does for you... make sure you monitor the progress and see a doctor if it doesn't get better. i am so relieved...
i have the same prob...but mine i just got about two weeks ago. My red bumps first started a few days ago it started with one and now I have a few. So I stoped putting anything on it but it just wont go away. Do anyone knows if it would disapeare on its own?
This is the strangest thing I have ever encountered. I feel as if there is an epidemic going on! All I did was enter new rash+tattoo into the search engine and I found hundreds of responses of people who know exactly what I am going through. It's really weird because I just recently moved from the southwest to the midwest with my boyfriend and our rashes didn't start until we moved so we figured it was related to the different pollen in the air. The rash I have is not that itchy but it is tiny pimple like bumps that started on my newest tattoo (which I got five months ago) and it has spread to my boobs! My tattoo is on my chest just between my boobs. But I also have two other tattoos just below my collarbones on each side of the infected tattoo. And I have 5 other tattoos. This is the first time this has happened. My boyfriends tattoo is about 6 months old and his bumps are much redder and his tattoo is extremely itchy. My tattoo is mainly purple with some yellow and black and his is just an outline with turquoise and black and a tiny bit of red. He has like 12 other tattoos and this has never happened to him either, and it's even stranger that it is happening to the both of us at the same time. We didn't even get our tats from the same place!

So far hydrocortisone cream or lotion hasn't worked for us either. I also tried Amlactin lotion and it didn't help. It kind of just looks like I have eczema all over my chest but it started with my tattoo and just stayed on my tattoo for like one month straight and didn't spread until I kept touching it. I looked at pictures for Lichen simplex chronicus and I definitely do not have that. I fear that it really is just an allergy to the ink which is a major bummer. I will try the rose salve so thanks!
Hi All,

I think I've had some sort of irritation since my last session. My tatt is black and grey and only has a problem on the black  relined parts of the outline. I've got bumps within these parts only and it does seem to only affect these parts. I'm not itchy (anymore) but just bumps that hurt a little when you push against.
I think weather/diet/lotion have all taken a part of it and I will see what the parlour says about it. It's the only part of the tattoo that constantly needs moisturising as it gets v dry over short period of time.
I'll also come back to let you know what the Doc says. I also don't think its one silver bullet for all your symptoms. So don't freak out just be patient with what's on offer. A dermatologist is your best bet straight off. I'll let you know how I get on.
PLEASE HELP!
I got a tattoo roughly six months ago and not my first.  It's a back piece, tribal, all black.  VERY SIMPLE.  About 2-3 months ago I was taking a shower when all of a sudden this HORRIBLE, BEYOND ITCHY feeling came over the center of my back (center of tat) to the point that I was screaming for my bf to come and help me (i can only compare it to a feeling of ants all over my back biting me - though it was more itchy than painful)  Since then, it has become a somewhat regular occurrence, happening 1-3x a week - and only in the shower!
It's not my first tat / there's no red, or any color other than black / and I swear if I have to endure this much longer they're gonna have to lock me up somewhere .... it might sound stupid and like a lil punk, but some of you know exactly what im talking about, others im not so sure are to this degree of severeighty yet - ANY AND ALL ADVICE WELCOME, THANKS
Oh man! I'm so glad I'm not alone..I've had a Hawaiian tribal around my forearm for about 6 months now and the rash started in a small area and has now grown to half the tat. When you say "maddening itch" Holy COW! I've NEVER had anything itch this bad. I've tried every cream known to man! What I found that will actually stop the itch is regular baking soda mixed with water to make it a paste and putting it on will subside the itch, but the rash won't go away. I'm going to try the tea tree oil bit to see if it helps.
Its pretty ironic that we freak out about a skin rash but not about scarring ourselves with ink til our end of days.
anyhoo
Ive had the same prob with a 3 months old tat. tried all sorts of creams (antifungus, bacteria. etc)
I finally went to the doc the other day and was told its some sort of allergic reaction . I was prescribed a cream that treats eczema and psorisis -a topical cortiscosteroid cream called "Advantan" (Im in Australia btw so its probably named different in the states and other countries). ive been using the cream for about 4 days now and it seems to have done the trick. the rash has nearlly disappered and hopefully in a few more days it should all be completley gone.
i cant stop touching my tat it feels soo good that its finally back to smooth skin again!
hope that helps
I'm so relieved I am not the only one suffering with something so uncomfortable and really irritating. I am in the same condition and I feel so embarrased. I can't sleep or function properly like I used to. It seems everyone is saying tea tree oil works and I'm willing to try. Had I known this would happen, I would have never gotten a tattoo. I should've read these posts before I went and got it. I so regret getting one not because it's permanent but because of what I am experiencing. I thought it was because of the things I was doing but it turns out people have the same reaction I am getting. I just hope all these red bumps will not scar me for life. I'll keep you all posted if tea tree oil works because I've gone to the doctor twice and they prescribe me pills that I think is not working. It should be for 10 days but I'm now on my 6th day taking it and still I don't see results. My tattoo seems like it's healing but my bumpy, itchy, rash-hive like condition is spreading and really itchy all over. Let's all hope for the best!
I too have had the exact same issues as everyone else. I've had my tat for like 5 years and had it outlined with some blue like 4 years ago (its a name, my sons) and it has suddenly started itching like someone else put it a "maddening itch"! I've tried all the creams as well, including antibiotic creams. Their are little bumps within it also! Its driving me crazy!!!!! Will call the doc on Monday!!!! Or walk in in the morning if they're open!
i got a tattoo (sun flowers, just the outline and grey-wash on my R ancle) on memorial day 2010 and the day after there were a couple red spots above the tattoo i hardly noticed them b/c my foot & ancle was so painfully swolen that i couldn't stand on it, the swelling lasted a week. the next day (day 3 after the tat), there were hundreds, and the older ones had a white center, the 4th day, most of the rest of them had a white center too. i feared that it was spreading. the itching was** HORRIBLE** and i felt that crawley sensation, like fire ants, the bumps were/are painfull to the touch.i started useing cortozone 10 gel immeaditly!!!! WHAT SWEET RELIF!!!
i went to the doctor that monday. she labeled it folliculitis, gave me orial 1)prednisone 20 mg tab 2  po qam x3d.
2)nystatin/triamcinolone cream TID
basically to cover all the baces, she gave me rx antibiotic cream to treat what might be growing in my skin, and the prednisone, in case it is an allergic thing. telling me she dnk what it is.
i have been on the rx for 2 days, no change and i am sure it is spreading to my L knee and on the outside of my L wrist,
i have pics on facebook of the whole process, my name is Amanda Thurston send a friend request and look at the mem day tat  pic folder
my artist and i would love to find out what went wrong and what caused it he is extremly stressed that he might of done this to me, or is it an auto-immune thing?
hey everyone.
i think i may have some sort of solution for this.
i got a sleeve done and aout 5 onths later a upy itchy rash formed and was slowly gettin larger and spreading. this lasted another few months.
at the same time i was having some nerve problems and seeing a neuroligist, he prescribed me with some strong anti-infammatry medication. it could just b a coincindence but after 2 days on the medication the entire rash had dissapered. the medication was called prednisolone tablets 25mg.
not sure if a normal gp can prescribe this but it may be worth a try after all i do beleive it cured my rash
I have a thought.  How much soda and fast food does everyone put in their bodies?  I'm really just asking because for some reason I get this feeling like it might be important.  I certainly am no health nut myself, but I have this same damned rash myself on my tattoo.  Thing is, I've gotten it before, but I remember it being there for a couple days, keeping it cool by running cold water on it, and drying it (pat dry!  always pat, don't rub, that's makes it worse!)  A&D certainly has helped, as well as lotion.  I also have no doubt that the Tea Tree oil would help as well.  But I'm curious to know, if anyone else will try this besides me, and I can try to remember to let you all know how it goes for me, try drinking only Water for a few days.  maybe a week.  its gonna suck if you're really used to caffeine but its worth it if it works.  I will try it and try to let you all know.  I know it seems silly, but I really have a small issue with medicating for everything.

Now, I can also tell you these couple things about my own rash.  One, I had gotten a lot of sun where the rash is, the rest of my skin on that arm, while it isn't all broken out in raised bumps, is threatening to do the same thing.  I feels like boils or God only knows what. Its really unpleasant, and for those of you who know, that's putting it lightly.  The best thing I can say is pay extra careful attention to where the rash is, what you might have been doing the last couple days before, what kind of weather it happens in, all that.  I've only had my tatt for 3 years now, and its happened every summer so far, but it got a whole lot worse this year when it was not only the head, and the sun, but I think it might also have been the added toxicity in my own system.  More fast food than usual, more soda than usual, I actually am a firm believer that coffee isn't so bad for you.  But these are just some ideas.  I'll let you know what I figure out.  If I can get to a doc I'll let you know what the out come there is as well.  It just seems a lot more simple than we all might be thinking.  I mean, we sweat through our pours, right?  The ink in our skin is partly injected into those pours.  It would make sense that there would be heightened sensitivity in the tattooed area, that the pours would clog more easily, and the more junk we put in our bodies the more junk there is to try and get rid of, and a good portion of our sweat that just as much waist in it as our urine.  True story.  If we're trying to get rid of waste that way, then there's more there to clog our pours.  If this helps, great.  But I certainly don't think the answer is to let it dry out completely.  And I don't think its something we should super moisturize for all the time either.  A happy medium should be enough, and lots of extra water might just do the trick as well.  Like I said, though, I'm no doctor.  I'm as much in the dark really as anyone.  Its just an intuitive guess... At best...
my tattoo is 3 months old. I have never experienced this rash before (altho I do have one tattoo that gets itchy with no bumps, I have 7 all together
at first I thought this rash was a heat rash contained only in my tattoo. it developed after the hottest day we had so far this summer. first it developed only on the outline of my tattoo, and it has now spread to the entire tattoo, that has all colors.  It is extremely itchy and has tiny fluid filled bumps. keeping it cool does help the itch. but it does not seem to be subsiding :(
I will try the tea tree oil and rosebud salve.
also, my gf got the same tattoo by the same artist right after me and she is not having any kind of reaction.
I have the same problem. Initially the rash was contained in the red of my tattoo for about 3 weeks, then disappeared. About 2 weeks ago it returned but on the blue of my tattoo. The itching is driving me insane. I've tried to look for solutions but I haven't had any luck. I asked my brother in law who has been tattoing for a few years now and is my tattoo artist, has never seen anything like it if anyone has a solution please help us !!!!
Advantan has worked for 2 people so far FYI that is a generic cream which is the same as prednisolone pill according to the research i have done, so that is what im going to try. I have had my sleeve for about a year and half im 25 and had small clusters of bumps that spread like a rash on the upper part of my arm, tea tree oil did however make those go away but it has since popped up worse on the bottom half of my forearm inside part of the black ink only and the tea tree oil doesnt seem to be much help since . im going to try the cream first since it is cheaper, then the stronger pills if that doesnt work.
greetings all!

DONT SCRATCH! I know its almost orgasmic when you start but I stopped itching the first patch I got on my sleeve that arose about 1 year after the tattoo had been done.  The pumps were centralized in the red inks which consists of Cinnabar (HgS), Cadmium Red (CdSe), Iron Oxide (Fe2O3) and Napthol-AS pigment in most cases.  I work in a tattoo shop and have seen a lot of skin reactions from clogged pours all the way to staph infections.  But nothing like this weird jock itch-like rash we all seem to be suffering from.

Once I stopped or refrained from scratching, the itching subsided and eventually after about 2 -3 weeks, the bumps went down and cleared up.  HOWEVER, now I have the ******' **** on my wrist that was healed and fine 6 months ago and its in the greens this time. Im using tea tree oil and have been strong mentally to not start scratching and it appears to be working again.

The main thing thats worked so far though is not touching it and keeping it clean.  Wash well when bathing and do your best to NOT TO TOUCH IT AT ALL.

good luck!  
Cold water and baby oil.. That seem to work for my red tattoo..

Once you get the itch don't touch it.  If you can't fight the itch, run cold water till the itch goes away.  Dry your tattoo and rub a little baby oil on it to keep it from drying.  It'll go away, I get the itch ever so often and this helps a LOT.

Cheers, Tat on!
I ve got the same issue with two tats on my ankle the bumps are only in the blue of both flowers.  I've had them for over ten years and Never had a problem till a week ago. I woke up one morning with the bumps they itch like crazy I try not to itch them When I put lotion on the itching stops.  Its not lotion or ointments because I've used different things through the years with No issue till now.  Can't afford a dermatologist does anyone have any suggestions?
I am now having the exact same problem for the last several months. I have seen a Dermatologist 3 times over the course of 6 weeks. He had me try two different steroidal cremes which helped reduce the size of the bumps but was not a cure. I've had this tattoo for 19 years until this rash suddenly developed. He said that it is likely the cadmium in the red ink that typically is the cause of sudden rashes. The good news is that he said it is not and will not become a tumor or cancer--the shin is just inflamed in response to the pigment. The doctor basically gave me the options of laser treatment to remove the tattoo or to cut the tattoo out which will leave a big scar. But I know this Dermatologist to be very conventional and mainstream his thinking so I am researching other options. Since someone mentioned a possible fungal infection as the cause of the rash I'm going to try colloidal silver spray for a few weeks starting tonight.  
http://www.colloidal-silver-sol.com/tattoo-infection/

For your tattoo go to this website... Tea tree oil dont use it on your tattoo.
I trust colloidal silver, my tattoo was itchy and the colloidal silver cream healed the little bumbs
Hi there ive got the dame problem now i got a angel on my left forearm all black about 6 weeks ago and now i have clusters of itchy blisters thts really iratating. The doctor gave me a cream called fusidic i really hope it works. Any advice will be helpfull
I just got a tattoo almost 2 weeks ago. it is grey wash with highlights of white...about a week ago i noticed a red bump then i realized it started itching more than the other tattoo that i have then before i knew it i had this bumby rash all over the tattoo only! I used aquaphor...I had put some of the cream on my arm and THE SAME RASH DEVELOPED! but the problem is its not going away!! It itches more than you could ever believe so unbearable that at a climax of an itch my skin over the tat would twitch and my body would draw up because IT ITCHES SOOO BAD!!! Its kinda freakin me out because i don't have insurance...I can also add that i realized the rash when i failed to really keep the tat with cream on it and then i started applying cream to it more frequently and it got worse!!!!..
So iv had my tat for 2 weeks and about 2 days after i got it  i had almost 10 of the tiny itchy bumps. Wat u do is take 2 benydrils, i took them for about a week and i put itch cream lightly around it  and now its no longer spreading and all of them are healing fast
Its specific inks that do it, And it can show up sooner, or later j
Its specific inks that do it, And it can show up sooner, or later
I just got my tat on 4/2/11. It's just black and grey. I have many tattoos already and this is my first reaction. I got a rose and I broke out with bumps and itchyness only on the shaded areas. It does itch like crazy!! My friend had the same reaction to one of hers and got Clobetasol Propionate Cream from her doctor. She just gave me a tube. I hope it works!!!
You should all try Advantan
I't actually works
At least for some months
I stopped using this cream and the itchy bumps reappear on my tat
The weird thing is that, they're not only on my right ankle(where my tat is)
They're also on my left ankle now!
I'm freaked out
But i guess the only option is start using advantan again and wait to see what happens
I don't think it can be something serious guys
From what i've read you all had tats before that weird rash appeared
So it's obviously not a an allergic reaction
Try advantan (if you're desperate about getting rid of the itchyness temporary)
ICE IT DOWN PEOPLE!

Ice it down 4-6 times a day or as much for a 1-2 weeks.  I put ice in sandwich bag and ice down those bumps and itchy areas.  I apply tattoo goo afterwards

DO NOT SCRATCH OR ITCH!
I have this two. Tats allways raise wen I get stressed or something But this is way differen. I even looks gross. Wen it in a multiple collored tat it does certain colors first and alway does every color eventually.  In alsoturned gross and red in an area where I have whit .but my right arm started at my wrist and worked it's way up my Arm for a couple months then left. Now it's on my left arm working it's way up and sprea to my left knee. So annoying.  I'm guna die huh? Ahhh jk
Im so glad to hear im not alone on this!!! I just got new tat about 7 months ago. I have 7 others and have NEVER had this happen. IN the outline (the black) has all these little bity bumps and ichy like crazy!!! The color is red and i know alot of ppl have allergic reactions to red, i just dont get why after 7 months it just now showing up?....  Iv tried coritzone creams with relieve the itching but thats it. Now im just of course taking my normal showers and keeping it clean and dry, no creams of any kind, no lotions.  Has anyone gotten a good diaginosis? And what to do for it?
can you send it to my email what specific cream did your dermatologist prescribed you? i have a tattoo at my back 6yrs ago, only on the red ink that created rahes, bumps like heat ***** and so itchy.. its been spreading all over the red ink part of my tat.. thanks! ***@****
I've been going through the same thing for a year and a half now that started on a 7 year old tattoo on my inner right lower leg that is black and red. The more I scratched it the more it spread, all the way up to my knee and then to the other leg from ankle to knee. I also have a tattoo on my right ankle/leg that doesn't have red in it & hasn't had the same concentration of itching, its just all over both lower legs now! Out of all my tattoos (& I haven't had new work for 7 years) its just my legs... the black & red 1 is basically ruined but its the only work Id actually want to cover up anyway, but the 1 on my other leg is my favorite & I def don't wanna ruin! I've tried many lotions, cortisone creams, bug bite ointment, neosporin, you name it. But there is no 1 soap/lotion, etc. That could be responsible 4 it, & I have tried to let it "dry out", which really doesn't make sense if the tattoo is as old as mine & since tattoo artists are not doctors I have to say that advice never made sense in the 1st place.  Its hard to tell what the itchies look like cuz I end up scratching til they bleed, especially when I'm trying to sleep. The only thing that makes them feel better is scratching more with a brush or putting something like rubbing alcohol on that makes it burn, but its only temporary. Some are small & some look like mosquito bite sized but they're flat, round scabs. No 1 else at my house has gotten it, though my husband has had rashes around his waist & on his legs, but at different times & not the same. I've even had them on my arms, but then they (mostly) subsided for a couple months, (though never completely!) & now they're back with a vengeance.  Its beyond embarassing cuz I think people assume I have scabies or something. I briefly had a few small itchies on my hand (not at all the same) & my daughter had them a little on her feet, so we ended up doing the damn scabies routine 3 different times, though I don't think it was scabies & I know the rashes on my legs are NOT scabies, but annoyingly that is what idiot doctors want to treat it as, despite the lack of similarities & repeated attempts at treatment! Does anyone else realize what a nightmare the treatments are? Covering me & my now 4 yo daughter with smelly, toxic bug poison & having to wash & vacuum everything in the house even once is bad enough, but after 3 times I am ready to hit any dr in the head with a hammer who tries to diagnose me with it again! I guess I'm going to the ER today cuz I can't take another summer of covering my legs, not shaving, itchy nights, scars & ruined tattoo work! After I go I'll post what I (hopefully) get diagnosed with... but if anyone has any advice Id still luv to hear it! I'm like the other person who posted, no real advice, but I want others to know they're not alone. Do you feel how relieved as I was to search my ssymptoms and find others with a similar problem? Please post what you can about similar occurrences with old tattoos that developed an itchy rash that spread to a concentrated area... thanx!
Everyone writes about having the same experience but I cant find anyone who has written about overcoming the problem. What did they use to take it away or did it go away on its own. I am at the moment suffering with the itchy rash on my 2 month old tatoo.  I dont think it could be the ointment because it was already healed beautiful before the rash began. Has anyone gotten over this horrific reaction?

Ask your doctor to give you scritp. for KETOCONAZOLE 2% I got it for ringworm dried up in 2 days I to got a rash on my tattoo red itchy little pimples. This stop the itch dried in a few days its an anti-fungal stop the spread big time try this I think you be as happy as I am
The best advise I've read on here is to  ice it down multiple times a day. It seems as though a majority of those suffering from this rash have had some heat/sun over exposure.  

It makes sense then, that it is some form of heat rash. It also makes sense that your sweat pores have become damaged and are not allowing your skin to sweat as it once could.  Scar tissue, inked skin I am sure, cannot function in the same way undamaged skin can.

Please read the following description below, and search heat rash treatments:

Heat Rash Overview

Heat rash is the generic group name for a number of skin problems that arise or worsen because of heat exposure or overheating. Common names for heat rash include prickly heat or miliaria. Other heat rashes include heat urticaria (hives) and sweat retention. Heat rash is prevalent in the summer months and particularly in humid climates. The condition usually is self-limited and resolves in hours to a few days without treatment. Rarely, it may be more severe requiring professional medical care.

Heat Rash Types (Miliaria)

Miliaria is the medical term for the heat related skin condition where tiny, pinpoint, pink to clear bumps form over a body area like the face or neck. It is caused when small sweat particles are trapped in the skin. This trapping of sweat may cause inflammation and itching around the sweat pores. Miliaria is very common in infants but may also occur in adults. This condition occurs especially after repeated episodes of sweating in a hot, humid environment. Miliaria may look like small clear blisters or like gooseflesh.

There are four types of miliaria:

clear (miliaria crystalline),

white/yellow (miliaria pustulosa),

red (miliaria rubra),

deep (miliaria profunda).
I have 1 Tat, back in 2008 it was raised and itchy and irritated on and off for over a few weeks at a time, I did internet searches of why this could happen with many people having the same issues. I figured I had somehow developed an allergic reaction for a tattoo that was 10 years old and tried using over the counter creams, with no help. I went to the dermatologist and had them biopsy the tattoo and they diagnosed me with sarcoidosis. She gave me a steroid cream and the bumps went away in an instant. Well now I deal with the symptoms of my dieses. If you are having problems get tested before major damage is done to your heart and lungs. Good luck.
Hi there, well GOOD news from my part. Just so you know I am in the UK so you might have different names for the drugs in different countries but here we go…
After a 2nd week of itchy hell after the tattoo session I decided to visit to my tattoo artist and show him the tattoo (we had phone conversations before though) and he suggested trying Bepanthen for the dryness and to help the tattoo/skin heal and… it didn't work.
Then I tried the Bepanthen + cling film wrapping for a couple of days thinking that if the skin was mousturised the healing was going to happen, but no. As soon as the cling film was gone the cream goes and the skin was dry again.
Then after reading lots of post here on the net I tried E45 Itch relief cream…. It stopped the itching but no real healing progress that I could see/feel. It was the same with Benadryl Allergy cream. Then I found a few creams at home (Daktacort and Betnovate) but they didn't work (actually the Betnovate worked a little but not sure). Finally I went to the GP (Doctor) and He gave me antibiotic pills (Penicilin 4 times a day for 7 days) plus Claritin (in case it was an allergy) but that didn't help either, after the pills course the skin was the same, red, itchy and very dry in some places. The tattoo is in black and grey but with no cream/mousturiser the tatt looked white-ish and flaky as there's lots of dead skin on it.
Obviously I was getting very anxious/pissed off really, so I went back to the GP (thinking a referral to a Dermatologist was the next thing) but he wanted to give it another shot with a very strong product called Detmovate Oitment and….
So far so good, the redness and itchiness have remarkably subsided. I am on my fourth day of using the ointment twice a day and it looks/feels much much better. Apparently if your skin problem is one of DRY skin an ointment (greasy) product is best BUT if your problem is one of weepy or moist skin a cream version of the product is best.
Remember that this could be only in my case but I really wasted a lot of time trying to deal with it by myself and after two visits the GP finally got it. Mild steroids didn't work but the strong one did the trick.
Good luck
Ok I got a tattoo on my upper arm a week ago, I have been putting polysporin on it every day. Today I found bumps and was patting it all day cause it has been just so itchy and now there is aout 8 bumps and crazy crazy itchy..what is going on. My tattoo artist told me to stop us the polysporin. Omg I just want the itch to stop.
I'm having the same problem. I have super mario characters covering my right arm and one one particullar character (that ive had over 3 years) started with one little bump on it that was horribly itchy then after scratching it turned into more and more. The bumps are only inside of the one tattoo, which is brown (goomba lol). When I scratch them, they bleed but I dont know what else to do. I dont use lotion or anything on my tattoos so im stumped. And along with another poster, I dont have health insurance thatd cover me seeing a dermatologist.
Hey did you ever figure what this is ?..I got my half sleeve about 3 months ago and started getting bumps on the lining of the tat about 2 weeks ago and then proseeded to sread ever since around it as even where no tattoo is..even some under my arm by my arm pit now WTF is this ****...My doc said it was fungle infection but the cream dont do **** for it..well hope to figure this out soon
I've read most of the comments, and found some helpful. I do have to wonder if they've changed the chemistry of some of the inks, or what...I had my first two tats done in the winter. I've had next to no problems with either of them, except for the lettering on one at times becoming slightly raised (no itching, though) I just had a black and red tribal-type bracelet done recently, and also had another tat "touched up" that I had before. The bracelet is still healing but driving me nuts with itching/blistering. I didn't have this on the other two when I got them AT ALL. Now the one I just had touched up is itching and blistering slightly as well (mostly in the red and grey parts) I do notice that in direct sun (and we are also under an excessive heat warning...temps. in the upper 90's) the itching is almost unbearable. The ONLY thing I have found to relieve it is ice, obviously not exposing it to direct sun right now, and tea tree oil. I agree with some of the other posters...do not itch it. It only becomes worse and you'll put yourself at higher risk of infection, too. It's almost like not itching poison ivy, but like that, once you start it just doesn't stop!
Hello i have recently had a tattoo done and there seems to be lil red dots around it and not sure what to doo ?
I have the same problem. I have had the tattoo for about a year and all of a sudden I have a few bumps show up. Now there are a lot only in the dark green and blue areas. I did notice the first few bumps show up right after I got bit by 2 mesquitos right by my tattoo. Weird. I also notice if I refrain from itching the bumps seem to get smaller
I am glad I found this forum, because I started looking up info yesterday and I really thought I had shingles. I have been putting my kids eczema cream on it, it's called Hydrocortisone lotion USP, 2.5%. It helps a bit, but only for a bit. I have like 18 or so more tats and it's only this black one on the back of my calf that has the outlined blister's and I have a few that have appeared around the tattoo on other areas of my leg. It's just so aggravating. I am going to try a few of these post ideas, like not scratching and maybe that tea tree oil. Anyhow thanks to all of you that wrote all your replies, I'm glad i'm not alone in this. The reason why I am wondering more about this skin reaction is that, why are my other tattoos not doing the same thing? The one that has the blister's is over a year old, but I had gotten like 6 or 7 around that same month I got the one that has the blister's and all the other's I have been having for about 7 or so years. So why would one tattoo have a reaction and not the other's?
hey all, just want to say there is hope on the horizon!

I read this same page several times last week sitting with the exact problem, my tatts are almost 10yrs old now, recent one just over a year and i came out with these itchy raised bumps in the yellow of my tatt :(

i went out to hollard&barret (uk) got some australian tea tree oil( antiseptic version). results are almost instant! the bumps are hardly noticable and the itching well i use it throughout the day liberally but it defo helps! like i say, its been 4 days and its 80% cleared up... :) happy days!!!

hope this is of some help to the ink community :) ps, anyone think maby a new additive being put in the yellows/reds? it must be in the last 2 years cos this problem is fairly new.... just a thought...
Hey so has the tea tree oil from the health food store ? and did it keep these bums away  ? because the hydrocortizone cream I was given after the anti fungle cream not working by the doc works for a bit, but then bumps start apearing on other parts of my sleeve so now im just puting it all over my whole sleeve but guessing its not working that well if this is happening..So I want to try something els for sure, and if tea treeoil is working for some of you and keeping it away after its gone please let me know I will buy some along with others on here..Thanks much... Steve
Hey Fuzz!  I think you hit the nail right on the head.  I'm having the same problem on two of my tattoos that I have had for over 10 years.  Only on the tattoo.  I've come to the conclusion after reading these posts that there is something in the ink or the artists have been using cheaper ink over the past decade.  I have other tattoos that are older and they don't have any bumps or rashes like the ones on my other newer ones.

BEWARE OF THE INK!!!  My suggestion, do some research on the artist you chose to go to and make sure they aren't cheapskates using cheap ink because your tat will get F*ckEd up!!

TATTOO ARTISTS BEWARE!!!  When you use the wrong ink on the wrong person they may take it real personal...and you may end up with an unhappy customer whose not afraid to show it...wink wink

Forewarning to all...be very cautious where you go and who you let ink you up.

I just did some research and a buddy of mine has the same problem, and we both had the infected tattoos done by the same artist.  And we're not happy, and we're not going to let it slide.
P.S.  I don't know how to get it to go away, but as soon as I find a resolution, I will def post and let EVERYONE know...but please be advised that this is for those of you that have had your tattoos for years, not those of you that are allergic to the ink (just recently got your tattoos).
I just had the same thing on my sleeve and went and saw the dermatologist yesterday and the bulish color comes from the tattoo having to much moisture I also had a few small bumps which she said it was a small infection she ordered me to let the tattoo dry out and just to Wash twice a day with soap and she prescribed mupriocin to put on area for 7 days hope this helps it's really nothing serious
Same thing going on here. Sleeve in progress. 2 sessions down with no issues - third session I had a reaction to orange ink and broke out in small bumps all over my arm. Went to dr who gave me a steroid cream. Three weeks later I now have folliculitis and he's given me anti biotics. Watch what creams you use, anything with paraffin oil can cause blockage of the skin along with OVERUSE of steroid creams. Still itching like crazy, ice and moisturizer seem to help! With the beauty of new ink comes the pain of the tat and any possible complications. The body will reject what's foreign but watch for staph infections. If in doubt see a dr I say
Like several others have said, I'm glad to find I'm not alone. I am having my second bout with under-tattoo rash. But I do not think it's from "newer" inks - my tattoos are by four different artists & collected over the course of 16 years. Last time I got rash (about a year ago), it showed up as very tiny to small bumps, only on black lines & especially where lines came together, on the tattoos over seven years old (backpiece, shoulders, lower back, inner forearms). Bumps were just a little itchy and skin was not too dry. My doc speculated it was newly-developed allergic reaction to ink. I asked the artist who did the most recent & bigger pieces, and he had never heard of an allergy developing years afterward.  The bumps and itch eventually went away.

Now it's happening again, in same places, PLUS on a lower leg tat that's only 2-3 years old.

A variable for me that I haven't caught in other comments:  I'm a 48 yr old female, going thru early menopause, and/or perimenopause (depends on whose books your doctor reads).  I've been having hot flashes since about age 42 that have gotten significantly worse over the last 18 mos. I've also developed some food allergies in the last 6-8 mos. (before that, was never allergic to anything except seasonal pollens & stinky fragrances in perfume/lotions).  I'm in process of testing which foods cause reaction, and trying to reduce dust/cat hair in house.  I'm going to try cool-to-cold showers, which will probably help itch AND hot flashes, and the tea tree oil.  

Would like to know:  any other women are in same/similar situation re: hormone changes...?
I have just recently come back from a week long camping trip. There was sun and bugs so I used sunblock and 40% Deet bug spray(that is a pretty potent chemical). Now I too have raised bumps in one of several older tattoos. When the tattoo was originally done I had an allergic reaction to the light blue ink and still have a bit of scarring. Of course the bumps are only rising in the scarred areas. I noticed the bumps the day after coming home. They were not to bad until earlier today. I started scratching them at work and now several hours later they are puffy and spreading across my tattoo. Scarred skin is more sensitive to irritation so at first I thought it might be a reaction to the amount of chemicals on my skin from camping. After a bit of internet research I thought maybe the sun exposure did it. I just came across this article:

http://tattoo.about.com/cs/disease/a/aa042703a.htm

The part of the article most similar to my circumstances says that weather can cause inflammation in tattoos. Warm weather and humidity can cause tattoos to swell witch stretches the skin hence the itching. Topical itch creams, ice, cool water and not scratching are all recommended. Then you just have to wait out the weather. It says that for some people cold weather can be the culprit. I recommend everyone checking this article out. It speaks a bit about the effects of body chemistry and allergic reactions as well.

did not touch my arm last night or today and the bumps have gotten much smaller. I think the heat and humidity did cause the bumps. Hope this is the solution to my issue!
I also am part of this unfortunate group. Although, my symptoms started after I had tattoo laser removal, after  my second treatment, I went away to the beach for summer holidays and the rash began. It started in my tattoo, and before i knew it my body was covered in this rash...
I have been in and out of Dr's and dermatologists for nearly 1 year and have used multiple creams and medications and most are only a temporary fix. the rash comes back after a couple of weeks of applying or using the medications.

So what now...my conclusion is this.... My tattoo is image of cherry blossoms and contains red ink (which I noticed is the common culprit from posts) I believe I had an allergic reaction (after laser treatment) to the red ink, and the heat made the allergic reaction spread.

I am going to take this new information to my next Dermatologist's appointment and get his insight.
I have had the same as everyone on here, but my little bumps however is not itchy like everyone else.. I have at least three in my Orange ink and two in my Black ink.. I have had the tattoo for several months now and just notice that the bumps have not went away. I am freaking out because this is the first tattoo that this has appeared on. I have several tattoos which none has had this problem. But this Tattoo is located on my foot, and it seems like everyone is seeing these bumps either on their Legs or Arm.. So.. I am going to try the Sephora balm thing because it seems like that is the smart way to go! I would have not known about what is going on with my tattoo if none of you had posted thanks!

I'm just recently started havin this problem I had 2 google this because I've had my tattoos about 5 years and the sleeve tattoos just started wit these itchy bumps...I've been soooo nervous...I defintely am going to try the tea tree oil asap...hope it goes away :-(
HI EVERYONE---I'm no expert at this, but I've been researching this for a while and treating my own rash as well as having talked to dermatologists and tattoo artists. I think I know what's causing most of your problems here. There's a few reasons why your tattoos would have the rashes you are experiencing:
1.) heat/humidity-this happens when you take long showers, have prolonged sun exposure, etc. It usually only lasts for a few minutes to an hour after you get out of the shower/sun. There's not too much you can do about it, but there isn't anything to worry about with it.
2.) It's a new tattoo. New tattoos (under 3 weeks old) will just itch. That's what they do. Nothing to worry about, just don't scratch it!!!
3.) Either you're allergic to the ink or the creme you're putting on it. If it's the creme, stop. If it's the ink, who knows. Previous commenters haven't made it sound like even lazer removal works.
4.) For everyone who is experiencing the rash on older/healed tattoos. Your skin is trying to reject the impurities in the ink (the metals)--Just like some piercings will reject. I have no idea what the permanent cure is for this besides maybe lazer removal. For mine, the best treatment has been washing at least once/day with a basic face/acne scrub that is fragrance-free. This will clear it up after a few days, but IT WILL COME BACK. Obviously, if some people are getting theirs after 10 years, then this isn't something that's going to resolve.
THE ONLY THING YOU CAN DO IS RESEARCH YOUR INKS. In the future, CHOOSE ORGANIC OR PLANT-BASED INKS. They make them! And that will take care of any future issues. I'm considering laser on my one done in the non-organic ink because it's caused so many reoccurring problems over the span of 18 months.
A doctor I am not, but do love the tats. Months after getting a pretty nice size cover up on my upper right arm, I started developing the seemly famous little itchy bumps that everyone seem to inquire about. I scratched, it spread. I tried every solution I read on forums to help me get rid of them. None seem to work. After carefully looking at these bumps, I noticed that they look identical to the little bumps I would get during the summer (somewhat identical to heat rash) so I applied a prescribed ointment called Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment USP 0.5% that had been given to me for the heat rash. It is petroleum based and on the contrary to what I have read on many forums, this petroleum based ointment, dried the bumps in approximately 3 days. I had to endore the itching slightly but not as bad as when I applied other solutions. Bottom line, I was able to get rid of these annoying itchy rash on my tattoo with this Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment.
Now here is something to think about, I noticed that everytime I shaved my tattoo area (I wanted the area to be nice and smooth looking to display my tat better) within days, I woulds start getting these bumps. Could these bumps be realted to some sort of ingrown hair effect around the tattoo area? remember the area is already affected by scarring of the epidermis by the needles. By shaving the hair when the hair is attempting to grow perhaps it is causing this skin irritation. As I said, I am no doctor, but it is food for tought. One thing I do know first hand, is that the ointment works!!!!

I
I think I might have the cure for the itchy rash. Go out to the store a by the product called "butt balm" its used for diaper rash but read the Info on this stuff from other uses of this stuff, its a real thick brown past. A mother posted some good results when she used it on her sons neck, he had a real bad itchy rash with sores read the Comment on the website ****.com
I gotten my tat Friday and tuesday I started to form bumps around the tat. Not on the tat and not to close but around like 15 bump making a circle around it. The bumps itches something terrible. Any advice about this. My brother and boyfriend got a tat the same day by the same person and is having no problems. Mine is on right side with no color just a scroll with wings and three names..
I noticed this rash developed on my tattoo (2yr old on the dark lines on the skull on my arm) after taking the immune booster cold fx. Which leads me to think it is an immune response from my body to the ink as we have organelles within our body that slowly digest and destroy the ink. Not really sure if that is the reason, just food for thought. Any ways going to try some of the above suggested solutions. Thanks so much everyone. Will add what worked for me.
I have a small black tattoo on my wrist that is two years old and I get the itchy bumps too. So it's not just colored ink...I have a tattoo on my leg but I don't have that problem..
PROBLEM SOLVED (at least for me)

So, all of my tattoos started itching really bad about 3 weeks ago.  Within a week they started developing bumps, which quickly spread (mostly on the black ink, strangely) but stayed within the bounds of the tattoos themselves.  I've had some of these tattoos for 5-6 years; the newest is about 6 months old.  Anyway, I was freaking out.  I tried lotion, I tried letting them totally dry out, neither worked.

THE SOLUTION:

Three days ago I decided to try an eczema medication that I had lying around from a couple years ago.  It's a topical steroid called Vanos (active ingredient fluocinonide .1%).  The next morning I noticed that it was already getting better.  Now I'm almost back to normal.  From what I understand this is a fairly strong topical steroid, but a weaker one would probably also do the trick.

Anyway, this is what worked for me.  It dried the **** out of my skin, but I'll deal with that later.  I highly recommend seeing a dermatologist instead of self-diagnosing like I did, but this worked for me.  Also, if your tattoo is brand new, I suggest not using anything on it that a tattoo artist doesn't okay.  New tattoos itch, it'll go away.  And if it gets ******, then you're having a reaction to the ink, which is different than what I and a lot of other people here were experiencing.

PS:  Stop calling them 'tats'.  It's annoying.
Excellent advice - I just received Silver Sol Gel and Liquid yesterday and it has already stopped the itching and the bumps have reduced significantly. Prior to that I tried fungal creams, corticosteriod creams etc etc.. Although relieved symptoms did not actually fix the problem. This stuff is amazing.
I have the same effects but i got a tat in my inner arm "Hope" no problems no bumps, nothing, had it for a good 2 months then three weeks ago i got a skull with two roses, no bumps or itching until i tried this H2o cream, thats when i broke out but only around my skull Tattoo. Stoped using that cream n went back to A+D everything cleared up fine. Just my roses colored red 4 days ago on the 19th. Now my broke out again but only around my skull tattoo. I need some help please n thank you!!
What youre all experiencing is indeed a fungal infection of the skin and all the A&D ointment and hydrocortisone in the world wont help. I experienced the same "rash" however its very similar to the fungal infections infants get in the diaper area. NOT DIAPER RASH! which Desitine clears up but a FUNGAL skin rash. simple over the counter fix is Miconazole cream also known as micatin or monostat. yes monostat like for yeast infections. apply it twice a day for a week and it will go away. the fungal infection may reoccur as most fungal infections live in our body in a dormant state. just like athletes foot comes back so will this but at least you can mamage it and treat it easily and without costly Dr visits. GOOD LUCK my ink loving friends.
I had a tattoo on my ankle redone. It's been over a year now and immidietly after getting the tattoo the heart which is red, had gotten infected almost like a huge pimple, I tried popping it nothing would come out finally after a few weeks of intense scratching cause it itched and hurt so bad I scratched out the bump. Went to the Dr. Imidiately with the cork like thing that came out of it the Dr took a test of it but showed nothing. I now have a hole in the tattoo and all around it has constant raises bumps that itch so bad it hurts to scratch. So if anyone can help me please please give me some help!
Hey guys im 14 and i went and got a tattoo from my friend(not profecional) but i seen him take the needles and everything out of the package brand new & everything now its 2 days later and i have these red&pink small bumps all over my body .. is it normal ? Please help
I had this same problem and it was horrible i have a tattoo covering my entire back and I had a reaction all over my back and i went to the doctor and nothing they gave me helped. so she said it was due to too much mercury in my body b/c i have 5 other red tattoos and my body was rejecting this one b/c it had nowhere to store the additional mercury. so i just decided to do a heavy metal detox and IT WORKS! OMG I THOUGHT THIS RASH WOULD NEVER GO AWAY! The detox was $12 and it took about a month and 2weeks. so try the pills or for faster results do a clay bath. i really hope this helps
Wow. I too was surprised to find so many folks with the same experience. The tattoo that is itching so much is about 10 years old. The same thing happened last summer - I didn't have insurance so asked my sister and brother-in-law (the nurse practitioner and dermal pathologist), and they said steroidal creme. Not able to get a prescription, I picked up some 1% hydrocortisone cream and endured until things cleared up about a month later. Now I've got insurance, and am experiencing the itching rash again. First doc said the same thing - more potent stuff but still a topical steroid, and also antihistamines for bed time to keep me from itching in my sleep.

A month later and I'm still itching, so I went to a dermatologist. It had cleared up a bit (and most of the affected area is under heavy blackwork), so the derm couldn't get a good bead on what could be going on and prescribed a heavier steroid and more antihistamines... Kind of a blow-off really. Not very interested that it seems localized to the tattood areas of my body.... oh - thought maybe bed bugs even though I live with my sweetheart who hasn't experienced bedbug bites. Waste of a visit really....
Ok, mine started today, on the red area of my tattoo. This Lichen thing you all talk about is similar to eczema. When does my eczema and most people's happen...when we are stressed. The birthday of my son who passed away is this month and just like every other time in my life...when life gets crappy, something happens to my body.
Maybe we need to relax more than meds. Since it is my first day with the bumps, I am just starting, but am hoping that you all find peace from the itch and inner peace!
i got a rash on part of my tattoo after being in the sun, just wondering if you put anything on it that made it go away. i've tried Caladryl and it makes the itching lessen, but if i rinse my arm off for any reason it starts itching like mad again. not sure what to use on it
I have the same thing you all are talking about that i too have red bumbs all over my body. I have a tramp stamp (tattoo on my lowerback). It healed fine that within the months it got bad to really bad in these 3 years. Red bumps that look like heat rash and itch like crazy, i went to the doctor and tried all these ointments still i have it. Will it make a difference if i get it removed?
I am having the same issue. My lower back piece which I had done a while back has small bumps that are itching like crazy. I have used Tea Tree Oil in the past for other skin irritations, and it has worked when nothing else did. I have been using it for this problem, and started seeing/feeling results immediately.
I'd love to know what's causing this. I spoke to a guy who works in the local convenience store, and he had the same problem with an older tattoo on his arm after being out in the sun. My problem seems to be in the green areas of my tattoo. His was isolated to the blue inked areas.
Hi guys, when the itching happens wash it with cold water and mild soap.
the tattoo blocks the skin pores and when you sweat it starts to itch. Keep it clean, wash it frequently with cold water.
Build up of sweat and bacteria causes it to itch and swell.
Wash your tattoo frequently and keep it clean.
Cold water and mild soap soothes the pain and don't touch it if it itches.
Also keep your immune system strong and drink lots of water, so your sweat won't be salty.
whats the cause of white spots in my new tattoo??? its been 2days since i have my tattoo then now ive got white spots..
I have the same problem, only in the summer time. A lite cover of pure Emu Oil Twice a day does the trick in about two weeks the bumps are all gone.
If you put it on to thick you might get red blimeses so just a lite cover will do best
i got a tattoo on my foot a few weeks ago that has loys of red. it has become bumpy and verrrry itchy suddenly.  i found that washing it with original dial antibac soap twice a day in cold water, let it dry for 45 mins, then put gold bond max relied itching ointment on it has helped a ton!  the bumps go down, it doesnt itch and it helps you to let it heal
I came down with the itch about a week an a half ago and then the bumps/rash came out on Monday this week. The tattoo that it has attached to is about 3-4 months old and I have 4 other tattoos that have been fine. This rash thing is only on the inner part of my arm between my elbow crease and armpit, and the colors are blue and grey. After reading all of the comments here yesterday, I noticed a trend of people using tea tree oil. I ran out and purchased some last night and have applied twice so far. Can anyone shed some light on how long I should use this, or how many times a day I should apply to get the best results. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
ive had my lucky cat tattoo on my fore arm for two years now and just in this past week ive been getting 2 little spots in it,i scarathed it earlier and when i broke the skin it started to sting quite abit for a while. dont undertand it as i have 7 other tats without any trouble just this one in paticular.
Just wondering, you said you get your rash in the summer...is the rash contained only to your tattoo, and what color ink? and does it clear up after a week or 2? The only reason I ask, is b/c it seems i am having the same problem. Pretty much the only thing I can relate it to is the sun. I get the rash on blue portions of my sleeve tattoo, usually a couple of days after sun exposure. I keep my arms covered while I have the rash, and once cleared up I wear short-sleeves again in the sun, and wallaaaa! the rash comes back! My rash has cleared up since the last "break out" and I've been holding off being in the sun....gonna see if it makes a pesky reappearance.
(also I should note, I've had this tattoo since December, had it touched up in February....didnt have any probs with it until sunlight exposure)
Just wondering, with regards to your reaction to blue ink, did the reaction only appear after sun exposure, and was it a raised, itchy rash that cleared after a week-2weeks? Seems I have developed some sort of allergy to the blue in my sleeve tattoo....the only thing I can connect it to is sunlight.  Last time it appeared I had been camping for 5 days and had gotten a lot of sun.  Two days later, the rash appeared again, in particular blue areas of my tattoo.  
I too experience a rash in the blue colors of my sleeve tattoo. I've experienced it 4 times now, only over the summer.  It has been most worst in the area near the crease of my arm....why I am not sure....maybe the skin is more sensitive there.  Been to 4 Docs. All, have diff opinions as to what is causing it. The last Dr. I saw gave me PhisoHex (antibact. soap) to use and Clindoxyl gel. It has cleared up again.... I am holding back from exposing it to the sun to see if this really is what is causing it.  One Dr. did tell me that you can develop a photosensitive reaction to metals in particular dyes, and the may only appear upon exposure. Just wondering if your reaction in the blue dye cleared up after a week or two, and has it come back???
Woah! Totally my issue! I got stars tattooed rounf my arch n by my big toe. Purple ink totally fine for months- I shld also mention that, that same day I got 3 circles done on my chest with same ink n same gun. The stars on both my feet- but not by my toes- have started making dry blisters, pealing, itching- so much so that I over scratch n often bleed. My artist said use lotion, my dr said I've never heard of this. I've been uusing cortizone cream that was prescribed for my eczema.. So far it hasn't helped. Its been a week since I started with the cortizone. I'm sorry I'm no help- but I thought I'd share my experience! Goodluck! I know I'll need it hahaha
I too share the excruciating painful aggravating itch from these many little tiny blisters of clear fluid on my fingers. I do hair and have kept a few here and there for many many yrs but recently have had a terrible outbreak. Another coworker at the salon has it too. She is using some cream from dr for dry skin that she had from another issue. The bottle she had said: triamc, ureac, menthol, camphor........whatever that is..lol. My mother and I came up with the idea of using desitin cream..works but still too moist to heal all the way. Tonight i'm trying moist at soothing care powder for chaffing and irritation..has zinc oxide like desitin but will keep it dryer since its a powder. Hopefully this will do the tric! Will repost soon to let u know.
Im so glad I'm not the ONLY 1.... I was freaking out. I went to the ER twice, the first time they told me I had poison ivy or poison oak. Gave me prednisone, benedrly tabs, and told me to use calamine lotion for itching. Well no work, it was ITCHING like CRAZY... I had to got back to the ER, at least this time the guy was like " good thing you don't have bugs" yeah I'm so excited, but WTF do I have, NOT poison oak or ivy. He don't know I'm having allergy to somthg. Long story short went to specialist, he don't even know. So now I'm taking Zyrtec 10mg, fluticasone propionate cream...... Steroids I'm assuming. But I've tried it all neosporin,, alcohol, toothpaste, benadryl pills and the cream,hydrocortisone cream, cortisone creams, lotion, no lotion. Itch x, lotramin, triple paste, desulym, you name it I've tried it..... NO JOKE... I know hott water is not good but I let it burn it in shower and I get about 7-10 min of ITCH relief... But other than that I have found NOTHING ARRRRGGGG.... I'm sending away for Advandan cream. Fingers crossed. Good luck all. If I find somthg I WILL SHARE...
Guess What? i have the same problem a year now i have a tattoo to a piece of my back and to the half of the hand and if i scratch it it itches like crazy it doesnt stop . i have noticed that hot showers make it worse. i am really thinking of removing it but will it make it stop or it will make it worse.
a tat i had gotten in February started with the same symptoms, only a part of the tat area was itchy and swollen, i have mild case of psoriasis so i have some Halobetosol Propionate Ointment not the cream so i put some on the area that was itchy after three days there was a big difference much better. my two cents is that i think once the itching starts via a scratch, insect bite or something and you start to scratch your body also starts to combat the ink as a foreign matter hence the itching. I'm not a doctor but that's what makes sense to me so its very important not to scratch or touch the area.
Like a number of you here, I came up with a rash of bumps in old ink, in my case several years. I had never had any trouble with my tattoos. I have a traditional Japanese half sleeves which extend to the chest. In my case, the tattoo bumps occurred only on the inside of my arms. They did not itch, though I know for many of you they can. The rash was widespread in that area and the bumps only occurred inside the ink. There were no bumps in the inkless areas around the tattoo so I knew clearly that the bumps were being caused  by the ink itself.  [By the way, just as an aside, I must have had the absolute WORST time to discover these bumps—at the Olympics, at the London Athletics arena, right before the women’s 400 relay, the one where the US women set a world record…. Kind of hard to pay attention to the what should be an amazing life experience when you just looked down to see that  someone has injected you with smallpox.]

But I digress….

Because they only occurred on the inside of my arms and in summer made me think that it must be down to a fungal infection caused by sweating and perhaps an inability of my skin to clear itself due to sweating, etc. etc. Some of you suggested Flucazonole and I tried that first. And…no effect. In a way, I was okay with that, because I wanted to rule things out. So no fungus. But what was it?
Continued (sorry)
The next thing on the list was a strong steroid cream. So I went to the doctor, warned her in advance about the scary tattoos she was about to see (new doctor for me) and she had a look. Going to the doctor was a very good move. She echoed what many of you have experienced, saying that it is possible that your skin can have a reaction to the ink even after many years of no reaction at all. I mentioned that some people on this site had had good experiences with steroid creams and suggested Dermovate as one that someone had used here. She agreed that would seem to be a good choice and wrote me out a prescription.

Time for the mini experiment. One arm got the Dermovate, twice a day, the other didn’t. The result? The arm that got the Dermovate showed signs of the bumps disappearing in a matter of days. In a week it was almost all gone. The other arm was ALSO starting to disappear (both arms had shown improvement before I even went to the doctor). It has only just gone completely, about a month later than the Dermovate-applied arm.

So what is the upshot of all this? It’s a temporary skin reaction, not a permanent situation or dangerous condition.  In my case it took about 6 to 10 weeks to disappear (6 in the arm that got the cream). Steriodal cream will hasten the process and for some of you who have this a long time, it might be a real help.

When I continue my tattoos, I’ll be armed (no pun intended) with the knowledge that it WILL go away though it may take longer in some people and with some colours. Just one of the prices we pay to have something that gives us  such meaning and self-definition. Hope this helps.
Use sudocreme it seems to work pretty well I've had the same thing it's driving me nuts, seems to flair up in the warmer weather not all the time just every now and then but it does go away! Good luck and try not to scratch.
Its called Contact Dermatitis.Doesn,t matter what colour the ink or area is its caused by the skin being previously scarred & coming into contact with nasty stuff ,like oils,greases,washing powders or liquids etc.I was diagnosed today.I normally get it on my hands after contact with Hydraulic oils & chemicals etc.It seems that since my Tattooing(inside of wrist & finishing a sleeve) was freshish & it got dirty it got the infection instead of my hands.Doc,s prescribed Advantan & Stopped the itch immediately.Sweating inside clothes that have been harshly washed will cause it as well.It,s never gonna completely go away & will reoccur.Gotta change your washing & working habits to avoid it.Hope everybody is feeling better now cause I thought my collection would end with just 2 sleeves but now i can continue my Tattoo Journey.
I recently came back from sxsw here in Austin tx. I have had a sleeve of four major big stars for about 6 mons When I came back from the long week of being out in the sun which i did use sunscreen the whole week, yesterday afternoon I was heavily cleaning my car and everything was fine until when I came back from vacuuming my floors, pulling up to my lot I noticed my lower black and turquoise star was raised with bumps and started itching. I'm not an itcher or a scratcher I just have been using oatmeal lotions, benzoyl creame and vita e lotion but it still itches. It's pretty big and swollen and bumpy. What do I do???
that's happened to me now
I have my dogs paw tatted on me in black ink and I got a really annoying white bumpy rash around the tattoo
then I noticed that I have the same thing on my hand tat
it looks kinda like flea bites but it falls under the same description that everyone else was talking about
I have had my hand tat for 2 years
and my arm tat for about a year and never have had an issue with my tats until now
Did you ever figure out what was wrong?
I know my tattoo artist and I got both done by her at a shop.
Just like you, I know there were no dirty needles used, and the ink was fine
same hell I'm going through... ugh
I had a Stargazer Lily done on my foot almost two years ago.  After a year the darker purple dots on the petals raised up and itched like mad!  The only thing that has helped is after showering I put coconut oil all over it a couple of times.  I also wash my feet at night and do the same thing.  After doing it for a week straight the bumps went away completely.  Life got a bit hectic for a couple of weeks so I haven't had a chance to keep up with it and they came back.  As long as I keep on top of it they go away.  I read the "red ink" comments and scared myself but the rest of the flower is pink/purple which has red in it and that is totally fine.  At first I thought it was because that was the only place that the artist used one needle but then it clicked that the stamens aren't raised at all.  Weird.  Try coconut oil, If it doesn't work for you then at least you can use it for a bunch of other stuff!
i have the same problem i have had these tats for years and now i have these bugs on my tat in different spots they itch like hell and the ones on my leg turn to sores! ive scratched my arms so much that the tats are sore! and its not all of them. after you scratch them the top of the bumps come off and makes holes and you can see the ink and sometimes they bleed. iwent to the doctor and he gave me a script for an antibiotic called cephalexin but its not working and its starting to spread around my tat on my leg when i scratch it, it looks dry and flaky do anybody know what this is?
I have the same problem! The red ink area of my tattoo looks nasty with those huge bumps.. Itches so much.. That's almost orgasmic! Once you start scratching it, good luck trying to stop it.
Like everyone here, i've tried every single thing with no success. I went to My MD and to the best dermatologist in NY area.. After a biopsy i was diagnosed with Lichen Planus. This condition comes and goes with stressful situations in your life.. Well, they prescribed me very expensive ABs, lotions, etc.. No results. Lately i've using oral novacaine gel on the area just to numb it so i stop scratching it.
There is a new infection spreading around NY area, related to grey ink tattoos. Its a very resistant type of mycobacteria. This is related to those cases that the tattoo gets small little bumps.  

It was my very first and also last tattoo.

i have been on a clean diet for over a year now and i got the rash also dont think its what we eat
hey Dreberry i was wondering if u got the name of the cream ur were prescribed because seeing these rash is making be CRAZY lol
Omg this explains the same problem that I am having a got a tatoo 5 years ago with a big red rose and now it has a itchy rash in the center of it. I thought it was an allergic reaction so I took benadryl however, the rash is still there :(
Ok, so 4 years later here I am still suffering.

I can shed some light to many unanswered questions.

1. The blood curdling itch on the tattooed area is from cadmium contained in the red ink. It's the body's immune system recognising that the cadmium in the ink is a forgein body and fighting  (hence the rash). My rash started after laser, the drs explanation was the ink reacted with the laser changing the chemical compound in the ink hence the rash.

2. The body rash is a result of the reaction to the red ink, also known by dr as a kinch reaction.

3. Treatment varies; I've been through 2 dermatologists the later being Sydney's best professor....he prescribed steroid based creams, and steroid injections. I've had both treatments...the later only helped for 3 weeks after that the reactions started up again. The skin became so fragile that I've had to stop all steriod treatments.

Then I went back to tattoo artist/removal.  Who suggested I go back for tattoo laser removal. This is my second week after treatment, so far the results look promising. The itch in the tattoo has stopped, the body itch has recently just started up again.

So after trying all remedies from natural to steriod injections. What do I recommend....

Get it removed.  The tattoo area will never heal using any treatments above.
So long as the body's immune system detects the cadmium in the red ink as a foreigner it was never stop trying to fight it.

i have this too... mine is mainly in the black ink. and in lesser degree in all  colors. its a series of micro pinpoint bumps ive learned not to scratch. ive noticed its only on the inside of lower arm from wrist to elbow on the tender skin (full sleeve tattoo) the front or outside of arm unaffected. i soak in Bragg organic unfiltered vinegar. and expose to sun light, gold bond foot powder soothes the burn a bit, I switched soaps to dr. bronners pure hemp oil castile soap. .  i believe it to be fungus based. deprive it of oxygen with oils vitimin e oil, pure orange oil, tea tree oil and expose to sunlight... make high acidic vinegar soaks daily. this knocks mine down but you must be continuous and regimented even after it goes away continue for a while like an antibiotic.