will my arms ever stop itching?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

will my arms ever stop itching?

I HAVE BEEN SUFFERING WITH TERRIBLE UNBEARABLE ITCH ARMS FOR THE LAST 8 YEARTS FOR THE LAST 7 MONTHS THE ITCH HAS BEEN NON STOP IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY... ITCHING THE FOR ARM AND NOW UPPER ARM DOES NOT HELP I CAN'T STOP EVEN WHEN ITY BLEEDS ,I CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP MORE TIMES THAN NOT ,I NEED AN ANSWER SOON ..THE DOCTORS THINK I'M  CRAZY ,IT IS SOOOO FRUSTRATING.SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME.......

This discussion is related to Severe Itching on arms.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi.

Itchiness may be due to several factors. Some causes may be localized to the skin such as a contact dermatitis or an insect bite and fungal infections. In some, itchiness or pruritus may be associated with more systemic disease like kidney or liver problems. In your case this has been present for years. I do not think a kidney or liver problem is present here unless you have associated symptoms of abdominal pain, urinary symptoms and yellowing of the skin. Do you have any of these?

no none of the above,
I have had the same problem for several years.  Have used all sorts of lotions & creams suggested by Dr.  Nothing helps but ice.  This is so irritating & annoying, plus it hurts.  When not itching, my arms tingle like the nerve endings are on the outside.  Also seen an allergist & no help.  I have another Dr appt next week.  Hoping for some relief.
Well, have you found a cure yet? I too went to an allergist, a alot of other doctors. I am now taking light therapy. It's stand up tanning bed with a different kind of light. I go 3x a week for 2 1/2 minutes. I've been there 2x. I think it makes it worse at night. Last night I used an icy hot patch on 1 arm and an ice pack on the other. The patch worked great, but when i ripped it off my arm it left a big bruise. I'm going to get more today. I cry every night as well. Why haven't any of these doctors seen anything like this? Now I've been going to the Iowa City hospital to let the dermotologists use me as a guinea pig.
I have the same thing.... It started about three weeks ago and nothing I do will make the itch stop but an ice pack.  I am eight months pregnant..though it had something to do with that, but I guess not. I am going crazy. I was looking for somewhere to go to have someone look at it today, but no luck. I will ask my OB/GYN doc on Thursday to see what he says.  Do you also get these little white spots on your arm?
It could be an allergic reaction to something, but since it has been constant for a long period, I would suspect it is either fungal or bacteria. You could get Desenex spray or cream and Betadine Solution. Soak your arms really good a couple times a day in the Betadine Solution. After it drys, spray it with the Desenex or put the cream on it and rub it in real good. That covers fungus and bacteria. If that doesn't work, then have a dermatolagist scrape the skin in the area and have it analized. Hope this works for you.  They should neither irritate the area.

Please read my post at the bottom of this page. My dermo says I have brachioradial pruitus. My new pills are working, my arms are clearing up, and I can sleep. The icy hot really works. Well, it's really mineral ice that I got at the dollar store. If you use capzasin, it gets very very hot. And it takes a few minutes for it to work in. I thought my arm was on fire. Yes, I get the white spots. Itching arms are terrible. I feel so bad for you having this and being pregnant at the same time. I hope this helps someone.  Do a web search on brachioradial pruitus.
Well.. you can add me in too. The upper front-facing sides of my arms, just at the shoulder running 3 or 4 inches down started itching about 7/8 mos ago and has not stopped. It seems to be getting worse, lately. My doctor said it is probably some allergic reaction to soap, etc....but, no, it's not, because I don't itch anywhere else, and haven't really changed any products I use. This must be related to something going on internally...but what? I hope I can figure this out so I don't have to continue to suffer and get worse like some of the cases I've read on here.
My arms get really itchy.  I got a very strong cream from the doc which cleared it up but left like a massive burn mark on my arm.  Now the rashes are back, even on my forehead.  It`s gone a bit scabby, very itchy, with bubble like blisters at first then when I scratch they bleedd.  The cream does not work anymore.  Anyone any ideas?
I too have the same thing . It almost feels like there are little critters under the skin.  I have tried lotions and creams , nothing seems to help. I am sure it is something interal. But what? It has been going on for a few years but has gotten very intense the last few months. Mostly at night but even sometimes during the day. We are should compare medicines we are taking.  
I to suffer from the itchy arms. I was awake most of the night last night as well as most nights. My left arm is the worst  i tried two different ice packs, when one melted, I got the second one. I also took aleve and that seemed to help. I feel it is getting worse and occuring more often. People look at me wierd because I have these little bumps and scabs where I have scratched my arm so much.
I had itchy arms for over 20 years. Forearms especially my right arm as its the one exposed to the sun when driving. The side of my neck would also itch. It was getting worse as the years went by. Tried everything. The only thing that calmed it a little was ice packs directly on the itch. Regulary had only 3-4 hours sleep a nite during summer. Keeping the sun off it definately helped and using a quality clear zinc. I had bouts of fatigues that lasted months and put this down to lack of sleep.The doctors thought I was nuts as there was no sign of any rash etc. 3 years ago I was diagnosed with a serious blood disorder and needed to have my spleen removed. I have not itched since and have been in the sun regulary. A patch of psoriasis that I had for over 20 years also disappeared. My advice is that when all else fails, look outside the box....check for blood disorders. Mine is a lymphoproliferative disorder.
I can tell u I had itching on my arms and neck off and on for 30 yrs and finally I found the answer! Low iron! I was riding the fence with low ferritin and docs don't usually check your stores of iron. I take one ferrous gluconate every day and NO ITCHING.
you have a rare blood disorder! i learned about it because of my mom having it. it runs in my family, huge! aunts, cousins, grandmother.... its a crazy one! i also know about severe itching...the kind that makes you cry and keeps you thinking your nuts!I've learned to tolerate but its always there.

just needed to say that:-) geneva