wrist itching / rash from laptop

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

wrist itching / rash from laptop

My room mate and I share a laptop.  We both rest out right wrist on the lower right corner of the laptop top while using.  We both started getting a lot of itching on our right wrists and lower arm while using the laptop which then because of the itching turns into a rash.  This happens every time we use the laptop.  We have tried cleaning the laptop with alcohol, bleach water, antibacterial wipes and to no avail nothing stops the itching.  We both make a point of washing our arms and hands both before and after each laptop session and wiping down the laptop with wipes or alcohol.  The only thing that seems to help is if we place something between our wrist/arm and the laptop surface such as a towel or plastic bag.  My question is this - could there be something highly allergy causing leaching from the laptop (such as a leaking battery) or could there be something embedded in the plastic casing that is causing us both to have this reaction?  Please help.  This is highly puzzling and irritating to both of us who are looking for an answer.
Since this itching is effecting the wrist that is kept on the laptop so it can be due to contact dermatitis or fungal infection if any of you are having it( because fungal infection is contagious). Apply calamine lotion and topical steroids and take some antihistaminic like Benadryl or Claritin.

If the symptoms persist then please consult a dermatologist as oral steroids may be needed. Also keep a small towel between the wrist and laptop as you are doing it. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.
Are you fing serious?

You want him to take steroids to retard his immune system so it no longer reacts to that? What the hell kind of work is the medical profession performing these days? That is nearly the equivalent of removing the seat belts to a car just because they are a minor inconvenience and get in the way of the cup holders. To think, the next time you get a stuffy nose you just contract HIV so that your nuisance of an immune system won't be in the way all the time? WTF?! I think the better thing to do is spend more time as to what is actually causing the problem and deal with that instead. If you didn't need ORAL STEROIDS b4, WTF would you need them afterwards? Find out what 1 thing has changed or....seek out what one thing you may finally be doing too much of lately, ie spending so much time on the pc that your sweaty wrists are just RUBBING against the same surface longer and longer during each session. That would be one thing to look into. I may not be an MD but Oral Steroids for such a minor annoyance iS too effing much for something like this. And ya know for a doctor, you seem to have the ability to make a diagnosis but lack the skill/willingness to give an in depth statement about the possibilities. Oh and congratulations on being able to use medical terms like "Contact Dermatitis" which just means "Skin Irritation" no duh, frednme specified that more than clearly in the post. And a fungal infection? Really you think so? Like the kind that forms on the feet/skin of individuals who allow moisture to linger in shoes/socks/in between toes/surfaces? Absolutely Genius, truly the skills that ONLY an M.D. could ever possibly achieve.
I have the same thing, went to the doctor, got no help exept for steroids of course.  I did some research on my own and diagnosed myself with Dyshidrosis (sp?).  In short, this can be caused by too much nickel in the system, and I found out that some laptops do have a lot of nickel on the keyboards.  I use a Toshiba Satellite.  I plan on doing more research and it also helps if I cover the keyboard when using.  

Good luck!
OK
This is clearly serious and more people need to make their concerns public.  I also use a Toshiba Satellite.  My skin reaction could have been life threatening. I had acute Urticaria and Angioedema that spread from my hands up to my elbows. My husband and I watched as my hands swelled and became unrecognizable. It was quite frightening. I spent an evening in ER with an IV with three different medications to address the reaction and prevent it from going systemic.  This is no joking matter.  I want to know what Toshiba uses in their product base/case and palm rest that people are reacting to.  They clearly know it's an issue because they warn not to have prolonged skin contact with the base or palm rest.  I mean ......... really, what is prolonged contact?  I was using it for a couple hours.  We should not have to create a barrier in order to use this product.  The company should provide a safe product.
I recently had a similar problem on my right wrist, and yes I was using a Toshiba Satellite laptop too and had the itch for about 4-5 days. Instead of scratching, I tried applying ice or menthol to cool down and temporarily stop the itch and they really helped.

One thing that I discovered (unfortunately, after several days of misery) was that everytime I did some physical exercise, the itch was gone, and once I started sitting in front of my laptop for too long, it came back. So when my wrist started feeling itchy again, I immediately shook and stretched my hands, did some hand exercises for a few minutes, and true enough, the itch was again gone. My wrist has now been itch-free for more than a week.

Now, I do not know whether the problem was caused by some material on the laptop which I was allergic to, or was it simply because I spent too much time sitting which probably was not very good for my blood circulation. Either way, in my case, exercising after too much googling really did the job.