DIABETES - TYPE 1
COMMUNITY
10 year old blood sugar
by fedupinmt, Jul 04, 2007
hello folks i checked my daughters blood sugar in the morning and it was 101, is that normal for a child. The only reason i checked it was because she has thyroid desiese and i read that they could run together. I sure would appricate any info thanks terri
Answer:
by JDRF-VOL-RL, Jul 04, 2007
Hello, Terri.  I'm not a medical professional, just the parent of a kid with diabetes.  You are correct that thyroid disease and diabetes have a higher correlation than they should.  The reason is that both are autoimmune diseases.  However, that doesn't mean that just because you have one that you will get the other.  It is good that you are prudent in checking, but 101 is a normal value for both kids and adults.  I don't think that is indicating diabetes at all.  Normal ranges in a healthy body are from 80 to 120, but remember that even in a normally healthy body, blood sugars can temporarily rise much higher than that.  Think of drinking a Red Bull or eating a bunch of candy in a hurry, and you can easily remember having a 'sugar high' yourself.  It's the sustained highs, as well as exceptionally high numbers (over 250), that indicate problems.  At this time, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Member Comments (3)
by fedupinmt, Jul 05, 2007
thank you for getting back to me. I appricate the time you took to help put my mind at ease, atleast for now. thanks again terri
by Jen2010, Aug 13, 2008
Hello, I took my son for a physical today and his urine glucose was 2000+. They did a fingerstick and it was 357. They send him out for blookwork and said when it comes back they will schedule him to see an endocrinologist. Im scared. My mother, father and sister are all diabetics. My sugars are good. The doctor isnt telling me much...can anyone offer some advice.