Diabetes - Type 1 Community
2 year old with DM signs/symptoms

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

2 year old with DM signs/symptoms

Hello All:
I am a first time mother of a two year old.  I just have a question for anyone who will listen.  My son began acting "funny" when he was 22 months old moody fussy picky I thought it was just the terrible twos starting early.  I took him to the MD and he had a UTI.  It is very odd for a 22 month old boy to have a UTI The MD said "that is odd" and has basically refused to elaborate any further information about this to my husband and I.  I am a nurse and I am freaking out thinking that my little guy is a Type 1 diabetic.  He drinks all the time he can slug down 2-4 10 oz drink cups in an hour he pees all the time hasn't gained any weight but he eats okay for a kid his age.  Please let me know if this sounds like anything that you as parents of type 1 diabetics have noticed in your children.
i am  a volunteer and the momof a type one diabetic,not a physican, but i would highly recommend that if your son has any of the following symptomsyou call your docotr immediatley and tell him/her that you want your son tested for type 1 diabetes.

Knowing the warning signs for type 1 diabetes (juvenile diabetes) could save a child's life.

Warning signs of type 1 diabetes (these may occur suddenly):
Extreme thirst
Frequent urination
Sudden vision changes
Sugar in urine
Fruity, sweet, or wine-like odor on breath
Increased appetite
Sudden weight loss
Drowsiness, lethargy
Heavy, labored breathing
Stupor, unconsciousness

If your child exhibits one or more of these symptoms, call a doctor immediately.

most of the time diabetes hits suddnely, rarely is it a slow onset.  if your odctor will not test for diabetes  go to the Er or find a new pediatrician.  you know your child best if you think something is wrong go with yiour gut.

i hope this hellps.  good luck =- let us know how things are going
Thank you for the info.  I have made an appt. for my son to see his MD in the am.  I hope that they will have some answers to my questions.  While reviewing the s/sx I noticed that he had more than a few similar actions that have come to my attention in the past few weeks. Thanks again I will keep you posted.
We just got back from the doctor.  My son's fasting blood sugar was 149.  They did a complete blood work up so hopefully they will have an answer for my family shortly.  Thanks again
We are just waiting for the hemoglobin a1c and the antibody test to see if it is in fact type 1 DM.  Thank you for everything. It is so nice to know that there are encouraging people out there.
One more thought -- if the diagnosis IS diabetes, then do contact  the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation for support at www.jdrf.org
If the results come back as borderline, you may just have to test him every few weeks or months so you can catch anything that develops. As a nurse, this would be easy for you to do if you get a glucometer and some test strips. We hope that this turns out to be nothing.
I hope everything works out for you, I know it is hard when you hear your son/daughter might have Type 1. But, as parents we know we have to do whats best for our children. Keep us updated!