Diabetes - Type 1 Community
248 glucose in non-diabetic toddler

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

248 glucose in non-diabetic toddler

My daughter was acting really off after an afternoon nap. My husband, who is a type one diabetic, tested her glucose and it was 248. She hadn't even eaten recently, she was going on 3-4 hours of not eating because she was taking a nap. We made a doctors appointment for the next day (today) but then when we went to the pharmacy to get a home A1C test, just to test it for ourselves, the pharmacist said we shouldn't wait until tomorrow and to take her in now. Her glucose when we got to the ER was in the 130's, which the doctor said was still a bit up there for a two year old who hadn't eaten in almost 4 hours. When they ran her full blood work and A1C, it all came back normal. Her levels were back down to normal; 98, and her A1C was 4. The doctor wants her pediatrician to do a glucose tolerance test tomorrow (today) and told us we need to keep an eye on this. We are going to see her pediatrician this morning but since she woke up so early, I was not able to keep her fasting for the possibility of getting her in for a tolerance test today.
We were all left kind of scratching our heads. Did we just test at the most random time when she just so happened to have this random, out of nowhere spike? Or what else can this mean?
she sounds like she has diabetes
bump
I'm so glad you posted this. I'm also type 1 and have been for 20 years. Yesterday my four old, who I had been noticing was drinking and using the bathroom lots, I decided to finally check him. He was 244. Of course me being mom, flipped out. My husband trying to help insisted we check again, and so we did. He was 142, still not normal for a nondiabetic. This morning I check a fasting BS and he was 106. What am I suppose to do. He won't make it through a glucose tolerance test, way too long for him.
I should also note that I have a crazy family history of type 1's. All my sisters (3) have it and now they say my mom does too.

I'm so frustrated. I called the doctor today but she's out until next Wednesday. So I'm just suppose to watch him.
It's like I'm waiting for things to explode. I hate it.

Emily

You don't need to do a Glucose tolerance test, what you can do is test him 2 hours after eating a normal meal and also fasting levels.  Fasting should be < 90 for a child and 2 hours after eating should be < 120.

If his numbers are higher, then restrict carbs, make sure he drinks plenty of water and get him in to see his Dr asap.  If you measure readings over 300 you can take him to the ER.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
MH Community Mgr is enjoying warm weather th... Comment
May 23
MH Community Mgr commented on Des_a_rae's status
May 23