Diabetes - Type 1 Community
3 year old with some odd symptoms

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

3 year old with some odd symptoms

My daughter was experiencing some symptoms of hypo so her doctor sent her home with a script for a meter and strips.  He also ran some blood tests and an A1C that I am waiting for the results on.  Her BS is all over the place even after putting her on a low sugar high protein diet.  She had 2 good days of numbers then this morning she woke up with her hypo symptoms.  She gets sweaty, whines, cries, shakes, turns pale, even wakes up with nightmares when the symptoms start.  I checked her first thing and it was 52, so I got her food and juice.  Two hours later it was 171.  Then before lunch she was 76 and two hours later it was 140.  She has episodes of shaking, sweating, pasty face, crying, and being unresponsive especially when her BS goes to 300+ (which happens a lot).  Then she can be 107 before dinner and 69 two hours later.  This is on going and I cannot seem to get a grasp on it.  She has a good diet and is a runner obviously being young and has definitely lost a little weight being that she was almost 40 pounds now down to 34 - 35 pounds.  But her numbers especially since I graph it too I am able to see a roller coaster not a steady set for up and down on a daily basis.  For her when I see her between 80 - 100 she feels great.  The doctor mentioned that she is hypersensitive and that everything could be affecting her and causing the roller coaster but he needed to investigate further. Yesterday she told me she is always thirsty and is always starving.  Even 30 minutes after her dinner she is saying she starving but she has a small appetite where as she used to be an eater.  I am just baffled by her.  Does this sound like she is having diabetic symptoms?
I would take her to an endrocrinologist for further testing.
Thanks, I am going to get a referral from her ped tomorrow and go that route.  My gut feeling says that something is just not right with her blood sugar.
with what you are describing I would say she is early diabetic.  Her pancrease is working in fits and starts.  When it works she can get low blood sugar (rebound from the high) and when it eosn't work her sugars go high.

Normal blood sugar in a child should be around 80.

Would keep her on the high protien, high fat and low carb diet.  Give her plenty of non-starchy veges though.  Get her off to a pediatric endocrinologist asap.  

Also be careful not to overadjust for her lows.  

It sould take only a few grams of carbs to bring her up.  Maybe just 1 or 2 jelly beans, followed by a protein - lower carb snack.  Otherwise you'll have her swinging high to low to high again.  Can recommend reading Diabetes solution from Richard Bernstein (which gives good advice regarding blood sugar and diet).  All the swinging of blood sugars will make her feel bad.
I am as confused as ever.  Her ped sent us home with an order to do a blood draw for a glucose test. Which we are going into the holiday weekend >.< She is thinking pre-diabetes with a possibility of hyperglycemia.  Her A1C just came back still in range but I tested her ketones this morning and she has small amounts.  Am I missing something here? She is still all over the place with her numbers.  I am as confused as ever.  Thanks for all of the responses. :)

Oh btw I am going to read that book thanks for the suggestion

the A1C is a measure of average blood glucose over a 3 month period.  As type 1 diabetes can develop very quickly the initial A1C will not reflect it.

What was the actual value.  A really nromal A1C is in the range of 4.1 - 4.6.  If her A1C was over 5 it is actually abnormal.

The keytones in the urine is concerning, it means that she is breaking down fat becuase her body can't use the glucose.

I think you really need to see her pediatrician again / pediatric endocrinologist urgently to present her numbers and what is happening.

If the diabetes is rapidly worsening your baby is at risk of ketoacidosis.  If you test her sugars and they are over 300, if she is dehydrated / vomitting, please take her straight to the emergency room.  Please also look up ketoacidosis and the symptoms so that you can react quickly if it does develop.  Diabetes can be really dangerous.
It was 5.2 and the nurse told me that they'd expect over 5.6 to be concerned with diabetes which I found confusing.  I mean everything else matches up. I will take her to the ER immediately if she goes over 300 at all.  I am going to look up ketoacidosis.  Thanks again for the info.
I work with adults but I thought for a child an A1C between 4-6 was considered normal range.  All I can say to you is follow your gut.  You are her mother and a mom just knows when something isn't right.  We might not know exactly what is wrong but we can feel it is something.  Keep on pushing for the endocrinology appointment so they can rule this out.  And a 5.2 is pretty close to the 5.6 of being concerned!  I wish you the best.  Keep me posted.  Have a safe and wonderful holiday!  

Like I said, I think she is diabetic but it is still early.  The A1C is an average of 3 months blood sugars.  So, for example, if this only started a month ago, there a 2 months of normal blood sugars to balance out the abnormal from the past month.

Keep watching her closely, stay low carb, keep testing.... take her to the ER if there is anything that alarms you.

I am sure the diagnosis will come in due time.  But I can only imagine how concerned you are at the moment.

Best wishes to you and your daughter.

I would ask to see a pediatric endocrinologist.  Sounds like all of these test could be better understood and dealt with by one.  Ask your Ped. for a referral.  Those sugars shouldn't be so up and down.  :-(  Good luck.  I am sorry for this.  I know its frustrating and scary to have to wait and find answers when its your baby who is not feeling wel.
my 3 year old wakes up at night shaking and vomiting. He hardly eats anything during the day except for bread and butter with some spice on.