Diabetes - Type 1 Community
4 yo needs more testing after being in ketosis

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

my 4 yo son had blood work and a urinalysis done recently, he was very tired(hard to wake up),stomach hurt I also noticed a really strong strange smell on his breath. his blood showed a slighty elevated blood sugar level of 159 about 1.5-2 hours after drinking OJ.  his urinalysis just came back showing he was in ketosis and needs further testing. his doc is sending him to a ped endo they keep talking about type 1 diabetes with me.  I thought type 1 diabetes has sudden symptoms and kids get sick quickly?  He drinks and pees alot sometimes but that isn't a constant issue it comes and goes.  he did lose a couple pounds recently. they did a fasting check last week and it was 92....but then his urine test results came back and they are all worried again?  I don't know what to think or what is going on. Hoping someone could give me some advice. I hate this wait for the doctors to call me back!
HI.  My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 at age 7.  She is now 18.  It is a life changing diabetes but one that can be managed as I have come into contact with so many people that have done so.  

When your kids are past the potty training stage, you don't typically monitor how frequently they go to the bathroom.  My daughter happened to be on a field trip with her brownie troop and one of the Leaders who had taken care of a diabetic neighbor on occasion, advised me when she dropped her off that she thought she may have diabetes b/c she was going to the bathroom constantly and full streams each time;

My daughter also had (in hindsight) the same symptoms your son is exhibiting and others - it was winter time so I thought her on and off stomach aches, which would come and go when she would come home from school were possible signs of the flu that was going around, but then she'd lay down for a bit and be fine in a few hours (probably her sugars getting back to somewhat of a normal number);  fruity smell on breath; constantly asking for pop/soda; smacking of her lips as if she was thirsty all the time.  Unfortunately, we never knew of anyone who had diabetes so this was all new to us and we didn't find out she had it until I took her in to see her pediatrician after the woman's advice above.  The pediatrician's office confirmed that they believed she had diabetes and referred us to the hospital, who confirmed it.  Not only did she have it, they advised that based on her urine sample, her sugars were probably as high as 910 (if that is even possible); she more than likely would have been in a diabetic coma sooner if we had not taken her in.  I also asked (based on personality changes I had noticed) if she could have been diabetic for over a year without us knowing and they advised that yes she could have been.  

We have since figured out that her paternal grandfather may have had diabetes back in the late 50s/early 60 b/c when he died (my husband was 3 years old) from an infection in his leg - his family had always said he had an infection and gave up.  I truly believe that back in those days, they just didn't know that much about diabetes at the time and the advances we have today in medicine were just not there at the time.

I do hope you have the best outcome, but will keep you and your son in my prayers and thoughts.

Erin