Diabetes - Type 1 Community
4yr old boy, is it Diabetes???

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

4yr old boy, is it Diabetes???

My son is 4yrs old and for the past few weeks has displayed some very strange symptoms!!! He suddenly began drinking HUGE amounts of fluids, far beyond what he ever drank(almost 10 times his daily amount every day). Then came the urinating. He is absolutely soaking himself, I have never seen a small child go pee so much. He is constantly thirsty, has literally only finished a large drink and will hand the cup back for more and then down that. He also says he wants to go to bed from about 4pm that he is very tired, really weird for any four year old!!! He has developed a peculiar rash, pin-***** like, all over his torso. Doctor said he's fine, not diabetes, and doesnt need bloodwork. My question is for any of the parents of young children with diabetes. Does any of the above sound familiar or am I losing my marbles????
My 2 1/2 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a year ago.  He would drink one drink after another and cry for more.  He went to the bathroom a lot and at that point he was still sleeping in diapers - he wet through his diapers at night.  At that time, I thought I just needed to buy more absorbent night time diapers, but now I know it was just a symptom of his diabetes. The thing that REALLY stood out was when after I put him to bed one night, he got out three different times, and I found him at the sink in the bathroom with a dixie cup trying to get water.  When we took him to the hospital where his blood sugar was in the 600s.  The only way to KNOW for sure is check his blood sugar.  There is not other way.  If it is over 200 - you need to go straight to the hospital.