Air Force...new Diabetes
I am an active duty airman.  About a month ago, I had a sugar attack, with my bloodsugar being in the 960s.  Well, this was a shock to me.  I had never had signs or symptoms prior to this.

Well...my dilemma is what is going to happen wtih my career.  Anyone know what the usual course of action is for a Type 1 Diabetic?  I know I'll have to go in front of an MEB, but I"m clueless from there...Any information would be great!

Thank you!
I am not a physician or in the military.  I am a volunteer and mom of type one diabetic.

I do not know for sure what will happen in your case. However if you have diabetes, before entering into the, military it can disqualify you from entering the armed forces.   I would suggest you contact someone on base in the JAG - Judge Advocate Generals office to help you.  (My dad was in the military).  They will be better able to help advise you before the board.  Depending on what your Job is you might get medically discharged, but they can help advise you better and help get you the services you need and to keep your  veteran benefits.

I am sorry that I could not help give you more insight to what will happen.  I hope all goes well for you. Please come back and let us know how things are going.  Good Luck
I'm currently active duty.  This came upon me very suddenly.  Tommorow I found out about when my MEB is.
I can speak to experience on this one.  I was a LTJG in the Navy and was diagnosed with diabetes about a year ago.  If you are insulin dependent, which sounds like you are, you will be discharged from the Air Force. The military has a blanket policy on now allowing diabetics to stay in the military.  I am sorry for you are going to have to go through, it is miserable.  There is nothing worse than finding out you have diabetes and losing your career.   I can give you lots more information and advice if you wish.  There are a lot of benefits and things which you will be entitled to, but you are going to have to fight for them.  I am currently going to graduate school on Voc Rehab.  Also, the military should give you a medical retirement.  You need to fight for the medical retirement and not just take a discharge.  Let me know if you wish to talk to furthur, I can provide you much more insight into the whole process.  God bless and thanks for serving.  The most important thing is your health.  Take care of yourself.

I would be interested in more information.  My son is in the Navy as an air framer on the flight line in Calif.  He was diagnosed within the past two weeks as diabetic.  We're still waiting for tests to determine I or II.  But they have put him on low doses of insulin and he is responding well. Of course he is off the flight line and he is working with the doctor and nutritionist, but we understand, as you describe this can lead to a medical discharge if he's type I insulin dependent.  So, I would like to be prepared if this goes that direction and how to make sure he gets all the benefits available.
Thanks for your post on diabetis. Do you have any info on the AF reserves? Do they fall under the same guidlines as active duty. I have been in the military 27 yrs was diagnosed with type one 3yrs ago and have not been able to find out much info from just asking questions. The military (medical personnel)are not aware of my diagnosis.Any help would be appreciated.
                                   ***@****
My son after 16 years in the air force was recently diagnosed as type 2 diabetes, although he doesn't even remotely fit the profile. Now they are talking of MEB and being thrown out w/o any benefits. Can anyone help us?
I was wondering if you found out any information on this.  My husband has 28 years in the service and we are going through the same things?