Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Amnesia in Type 1 Diabetes

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Amnesia in Type 1 Diabetes

Hi! I would like to ask you an opinion about something (I would say weird) recently happened to me. I am 31 years old diabetic (insulin dependent) since 1996 and I am injecting insulin 3 times a day (before meals) + 1 (lantus, 24h coverage). I experienced only once loss of consciousness (in 2008, when my blood sugar was 39 mg/dL... I have absolutely no memory of what happened then if not what my friends told me about... and the crazy thing is that "I" decided to make an extra shot of insulin... but I do not remember anything!!) Anyway, nothing really happened: I was just brought to the hospital where my sugar level was stabilized.
The weird thing happened more recently... I have been told from my work colleagues that I am actually stealing their cookies/sweets! Well, after the initial shock - as I could not believe it! - they decided to make a video clip and indeed it is true! I am stealing! But again, I have no memory at all about these episodes (which seemed to happen quite often). After I was told about this fact, which usually happened in the evening (around 6 pm), I started to measure my suger level more often (actually, I have to say that I do it to rarely: about once a week, as I always say "well, I feel if I go down or up!") and it resulted that I was always around 50 mg/dL at around 5 pm without recognizing it at all. So, could it be that my brain somehow felt the hypo and although I was in a kind of black-out it knew that I had to take sugar? I know it sounds crazy (and for that I am gonna do some psychiatric/neurologial visit next week) and actually it is (just think: I was simply going around in the office opening drawers and searching for food!!!!), but I really do not remember that I have done it! It also happened during the night, and when I woke up I saw an empty package of biscuits or crackers without having memory of having been up in the night and done it!
How likely are these episods connected to diabetes? Or I am simply crazy??
Thanks in advance for your opinions/comments
I must say that you are not crazy!! I started this odd habit as a child and still contnue it. my husband will wake up for work surrounded by crumbs or wrappers and I use to think that it was my children sneaking around and I started by asking my parents and then my drs and they have all confirmed that yes it is a natural instinct. The fact that you do not remember well that is like autopilot. Your brain only has a few minutes before you crash comnpletly. Mine are usually at nite in my sleep, like sleep walking but hypoglycemic walking. Hope this helps.
Hi! Thanks a lot for your comment! Yes, of course it helps! It makes me feel somehow better!!
Besides, I was just dismissed by the psychyatric department of my hospital after just few days, and there all the doctors asked me exactly why I was there (I mean, they all told me it is very likely to be connected to diabetes, so I should not worry about and I should keep the bed available for someone else!). I'll still do an MRI to exclude a possible neurologica problem, but they told me that it is unlikely to be present. Of course, what I have to do (and from now on it should be done seriously!) is to check constantly my blood sugar levels!
It is anyway nice to see that I am not the only with this "unusual" behaviors (although now I just have to convinve my colleagues that it was nothing done against them and should bring them some chocolate!!!!).
So missi3, thanks again!!
Please do take better care of yourself.  Low blood sugars kill brain cells, this is a proven fact, so with every low you are causing some damage to your body.  As for the "behaviors" just educate those around you, plus its safer they may realize and keep you from doing something unsafe, plus it will keep them from ever thinking you are simply doing something because you can.  Good luck with everything.
Thanks a lot!!