Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Any News on Islet Cell Transplantation?

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Any News on Islet Cell Transplantation?

I've been following Islet Cell Transplantation for quite awhile and have seen some astounding study results, which gives me hope for my child.  Is there any place that offers the latest information on Islet Cell Transplantation research?
Avatar n tn
I recently went to the annual meeting of the Northern California Inland Chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) where I learned of Approximately 257 adults who were cured of Type 1 diabetes with the Edmonton Protocol in Canada. This protocol was pioneered by Dr. Shapiro and is the leading center for islet cell transplant. As of yet children are not candidates for the procedure and there are some kinks to be worked out before this can become a procedure for anyone. One problem with the islet cell transplant is that the rejection drugs have side effects that some physicians feel are worse than those of diabetes. The best place to go to find out about islet cell transplant would be the JDRF website: www.jdfcure.org/ or use islet cell transplant as a search engine.
Avatar n tn
test
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
MH Community Mgr is enjoying warm weather th... Comment
May 23
MH Community Mgr commented on Des_a_rae's status
May 23
MH Community Mgr commented on cast out
May 21