Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Any relation between T1 diabetes and nosebleeds?

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Hi -- I am new to this forum.  My 13yo son Sean was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes nine months ago.

I can't imagine what the connection, if any, could be; but I have noticed that Sean has been having fairly frequent nosebleeds since his diagnosis.  I cannot remember him EVER having a single nosebleed in the past.  

Is this just coincidence, or is there a connection with his diabetes?  Anyone know?  
Hi!  I'm not a medical professional, just the parent of a kid with diabetes.  I've never heard of a connection to nosebleeds.  Has he ever been checked for high blood pressure?  What insulin is he on?  Could it be possible that the particular type of insulin he's on is causing that reaction?  It's definitely something to ask your doctor about.
I agree with JDRF-VOL-RL that the nosebleeds are more likely to be caused by something other than type 1 diabetes. I had nosebleeds at about the same age, and in my case it was allergy-related. My doctors suggested that I would "outgrow" the problem, and this is indeed what happened. It wasn't fun at the time, but it all stopped by the time I was about a junior in high school. No nosebleeds since then. I would ask his doctor about other allergy meds, or perhaps allergy shots. Or maybe also a humidifier to keep some moisture in the air. Do discuss this with his doctor, for there may be a simple solution.

By the way, my own son had a few nosebleeds at about the same age, and he has similar allergy problems.
I see that in another post you said your son takes Clariton.  Could it be that his sinuses are just drying out and becoming thinner, causing the nosebleeds?
I'm 44 and have had Type 1 for 10 years. And what I've noticed is that, I will get a nosebleed. I've always been susceptible to them and always from the left nostril. Anyway, I will get a nosebleed and within 18 to 24 hours my glucose levels will spike for an undeterminable amount of days. Until one day, things will just go back to normal again.
I have asked my specialists about this phenomenon and they say they've never heard anything like it before. But I can guarantee that a nosebleed means I'm in for a bad ride.