As a Type 1 diabetic, can I get fired from my job if I ask for less stressful work?
I have been a type 1 diabetic for 27 years. Last year I switched positions within the major company I work for.  Little did I realize when I started the effect the off hours, overtime and stress would have on my diabetic control.  My A1C test went from 7 (last year) to the uppers 9's (last month).  I went from having insulin reactions maybe once every couple of months to more than three times a week.  My blood pressure also went from normal to high. Having so many of low blood sugars has the increased potential to put the work that I do, which is extremely intense (with computer systems), in jeopardy.

My question is; if I ask my employer to be placed into a less stressful job with more regular hours, can my employer choose to fire me instead of accomodating my request (other positions that I am qualified for do exist)?  Right now I'm afraid to ask for fear that the company may fire me.  This is a major U.S. coporation.  
I am not a  physician , but the  mom of a type 1 diabetic.  You should fall under the 504  Americans with disabilities act.

Go to : http://www.ada.gov/pubs/ada.htm

I would also check with a  labor lawyer if you are still unsure.

I wish you luck.