Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Birth Control Question

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Birth Control Question

I have had Type 1 diabetes for almost 8 years, and I am currently taking Humalog throughout the day and Lantus at night. My numbers are not perfect, but as long as I remember to test and take shots, I am able to keep things uner control. I recently turned 18, and am considering getting started on birth control of some kind. My on-campus health center is able to write prescriptions, but I have heard that Diabetics can have more serious complications. Do I have to go to my Endocrinologist or to a Gynecologist in order to get a prescription?
Hey!
I'm 21 and a type 1 Diabetic! I've had it for about 5 years and have been on the pill for many years! I have had zero problems with it, but I did consult my GP before going on it. He was totally fine with it and so was my endo! :) I decided to go on the "mini-pill", but that was just to minimise the side effects.

I would recommend just having a quick chat with your GP or your endo- just so they are in the loop :)
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Nighthawk61 commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
May 26
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
May 25
MH Community Mgr is enjoying warm weather th... Comment
May 23