Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Birth Control and Antibiotics

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Birth Control and Antibiotics

Is it safe to take Ovcon 35 and Cipro at the same time?
Avatar n tn
Hi Greatmuffin,

As we are not medical professionals here it would be best to have your question answered by a doctor, as any time medications are mixed complications may arise. I don't have experience in taking either of these drugs, although I know that some antibiotics may decrease the effectiveness of contraceptives. In doing some research I came accross a University of Oregon website (http://studenthealth.oregonstate.edu/answerspot/message.php?message=6540), on which the same question was posted:

"Question: My doctor just put me on Cipro for a UTI. I am also on the pill (Ovcon 35). Can the Cipro cause the pill to be less effective?

Answer: When a woman is taking oral contraceptives and has to also take antibiotics (such as Cipro) that could decrease the effectiveness of the oral contraceptives, it is recommended that she use a back up method of contraception (i.e. a condom) during the entire time she is on the antibiotics and for 7 days after she stops taking the antibiotics. For more information, you may want to consult with a health care provider or a pharmacist."

I would still advise you to check with your doctor. Everyone responds differently to drugs and your doctor will be the best person to consult in this case.

Good luck!
Avatar n tn
i agree with JW in that you really should be checking with your doctor, or better yet...call your pharmacy & ask the pharmacist.  They are the experts when it comes to drug interactions.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Nighthawk61 commented on Nighthawk61's status
Aug 10
Nighthawk61 commented on Guest1992's status
Aug 08
Nighthawk61 don't just LIVE the dream ... Comment
Aug 07