Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Blood Sugars
About This Community:

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Blood Sugars

My 27 month old daughter has been having very sweet smelling urine off and on.  Her diapers at some points smell overwhelming with an obnoxious sweet (not maple syrup, more fruity) smell.  The pediatrician shrugged it off, but this just started about three months ago, and we have a very strong family history of diabetes (both Type I and Type II).  I am very concerned that we could be dealing with this.  I tried to get a doctor's appointment with a pediatric endocrinologist, but his office requires referrals from the pediatrician.  I have my glucometer from my GD, so I tested her fasting yesterday.  She was at 60.  Then immediately following dinner (we ate a little late and she had to go to bed so I could not wait for 1 to 2 hours) she was at 182.  Do these numbers sound off?  I have had hypoglycemia myself since I was in high school, but it seemed to me that this could be a possibility for her also?