Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Calf aches, foot numbness

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Calf aches, foot numbness

For months now I have suffered aches in my left calf muscle, it feels as if it is about to cramp up but never does. The discomfort is so bad that I can barely walk 200 yards without taking a rest to allow the pain to subside. And more recently I have noticed a constant numbness in the left foot which also seems to ease when I rest up, almost like the blood is rushing back to my foot. This is ONLY in my left calf and foot, the right side seems perfectly fine

I have to add that I am type 1 diabetic and have been so for more than forty years and although I do have diabetic neuropathy in my hands the numbness I now feel is much worse than before.

I had put this down to starting in a job that required constant heavy lifting and walking over short distances for the whole eight hour shift, but since I have been away from this job for more than a month and the symptoms have in fact worsened slightly it has me worried.
Tags: foot numbness, calf aches
Since you have diabetic neuropathy of the hands, definitely diabetic neuropathy of the calf and foot needs evaluation. Get your HB A1c levels done and also get a nerve conduction velocity test done to check the status of the nerves. You can take vitamin B12 and gabapentin tablets for some days after consulting your doctor.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thanks for your answer, but it appears it will be a while before I can even have this checked out. Long story but I am unemployed  and the unemployment people are screwing around with my payments. As a result I have received not one penny of income for six weeks and cannot even afford the gas to get to the doctor's office!!. And I am about to lose health insurance for non payment for the same reason. Meaning I would have to pay the full cost of a doctor's visit plus any examination (x-rays etc) in addition to any treatment which could be in the thousands of dollars!. That is money I do not have.
Living in America is great, just don't lose your job and don't get sick.
Just a footnote to the symptoms, I have now noticed that my left foot has turned a shade of red, I am getting very worried now but there's nothing I can do until I can re-establish some sort of health insurance. And apparently I do not qualify for 'Obamacare'.
But thanks, your answer is appreciated.