Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Can Diabetes Affect Sex Drive?

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Can Diabetes Affect Sex Drive?

Lately I haven't had the interest in sex that I used to...which was a LOT!  Can diabetes be the cause of this?  Is there anything I can take or do to get it back?

Michael
If blood sugar levels are too high or too low, a person will not feel as energetic as when they are normal. If too low, the brain's distress may cause loss of sex drive as the brain struggles to fuel itself with whatever emergency glucose it can find. This should be only temporary if blood sugar levels are the cause. However, in males, possible nerve damage from the disease can cause more long-term problems. Please discuss this with your endocrinologist.
It's a good idea to check with your doc for any physical changes due to diabetes.

In addition, folks with diabetes (or any other chronic illness) can experience feelings of depression when they might not only lose interest in sex but also in other aspects of their lives that used to bring them pleasure.  

As with all things medical, this is something to discuss with your doc if it seems to fit your experience.
Thanks for all the great comments!  I'm scheduled to see my doctor next week and will try to discuss the problem at that time.  It'll be about the most embarrasing thing I've ever done, but I'll try!

Mike
Michael, please do not be embarrased about asking your doctor.  My son is in his 20's and experienced the same issues.His physician was a great support and was able to help him with medication and information.  This happens alot more than people think.  I really admire your courage in reaching out on this.  It will give others comfort in knowing they aren't alone.  Best of luck.
dm
I was just diagnosed with this disease a little over two years ago. When I was first treated with insulin for the first two months, my libido sky rocketed. Now it has been two years and my sex drive comes in little spirts and then dies as soon as it comes. I am in my twenties and I go to the gym 5-6 days a week (somewhat in the hopes that my sex drive will return if I am healthy enough). It upsets me to no and all my endo suggested was to use cialis. I feel this is a mask to the problem and I don't see a permanent solution in sight. I don't want any relationships because I just wouldn't know how to break it to my partner. It's tearing me up inside and it's all I worry about.