Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Carpal Tunne;

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Carpal Tunne;

I have been Diabetic since I was 7, Diagnosed in 1992. I was wondering if there are any other type 1's that have Celiac disease also. It has been said that the prolonged gluten reaction may cause Type 1. I have celiac and I was diagnosed when I was 16 tho... I also was curious, well more curious about this then the celiac.. If anyone else has severe pain from carpal tunnel? I have Carpal Tunnel and have had it for 4 years it has gotten worse and worse I have been in so much pain! I have had other people tell me that they have carpal tunnel and they don't get pain like me, and I don't understand it!! I have the most DEBILITATING PAIN in the world!! Someone please give me someinfo.. I am not quite certain I have neuropathy because I don't get too muhc pain in my legs.. and I don't tihnk it is rheumatoid arthritis because the pain isn't all over all the time. Sometimes it is in my neck and shoulders, sometimes my legs and back.. sometimes just a sharp pain in my index finger.. or side of my hand. But MAN!! when it comes it is the worst pain ever... Isn't it enough that I have to take 3 shots a day with a finger ***** 6 times?? lol
Hi there!

Yes, diabetes has been linked to both coeliac diasese and carpal tunnel; though carpal tunnel is more common with type 2 diabetes. However, this does not necessarily mean that the symptoms you experience are definitely due to carpal tunnel, and other possibilities like infections/ inflammations, degenerations, neuro-muscular issues, vascular cases, bone/joint causes, micronutrient deficiencies etc may need to be considered as well. It is not necessary for neuropathy to affect all nerves in the body at the same time and the possibility may need to be considered as well. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
I had two disc's go in my neck also had carpal tunnel all happen within 24hrs. two weeks later I swelled up really bad. My edema was everywhere and all my joints were very painful. Doctors thought I was allergic to the NASIDS, so I stopped taking them, the swelling edema did not go. MRI for neck showed that the capal tunnel was not caused by my two bulgying discs. My doctor thought I had a heart condition done bloods, urine test and xray and stress test. Nothing showed up except vitamin d low. I thought I had RA so i did a RA diet cut out gluten and diary. after two days I could walk with out pain, RA tests came back negative. I had celiacs! also a dairy intolerence. 70% of my edema went and I started to be able to make a fist again. I searched the net for answers, and found that due to my celiacs I had omega 3, copper, vitamin d, folic acid, b12 , B1, and once this was fixed up my edema and carpal tunnel went away within a month.  Give it a try what have you got to lose.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
alp1944 added the Diabetes Tracker
Jul 30
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
Jul 23
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
Jul 23