Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Causes for High Blood Sugar other than Diabetes

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

My 6 year old grandson was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.  He was admitted with a blood sugar level of over 2500.  After 3 days in intensive care, his CK level rose to 78,000.  He tested negative for the diabetes antibody.  Two days ago, after 10 days in intensive care he was moved to the regular pediatric floor however his ketones are still at 2000 and the doctors are puzzled why they keep going down then up for no apparent reason.  His blood sugar levels vary (400 down to 150) based on what he eats and how much insulin he is given.  Still working our the kinks in getting him stablized.  Does anyone have any idea what else may be going on to cause all this?  We are puzzled and concerned that he may have something else going on that is being missed.  He has been checked by the infectious desease doctors. Any ideas, helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Tags: pediatric
  • need help (1 replies):
    We had to admitt my husband due to dka and really still ...[more]
Odd about the negative result to testing for antibodies, but that can happen, depending on the timing of the test and the onslaught of the autoimmune system. Also, there are now some children who are type 2 diabetics... is the child overweight or does type 2 run in the family?
He is not overweight.  He is about 60 lbs which is about right for his height and age.  No one in the family has type 1 or 2 diabetes.   It is still a mystery to all of us.
My 8 yr. old daughter was diagnosed Type 1 just over two weeks ago.  She is 4 ft. tall and weighs 45 lbs.  She had a fasting sugar of 292 and has been up and down since the diagnosis - not nearly as high as the numbers you reported for your grandchild.  BUT, she tested NEGATIVE for autoimmune on two of the four panels on her blood tests.  We spent a night in the hospital, and are now on insulin 4 times a day.  I want to know how this could be?  Just because the symptoms present like Diabetes, the tests show differently.  So what is the cause?  Infection?  Parasites?  Tumor?  Can anyone help us here?  We want to take care of our children, but we don't want to blanket diagnose this as Juvenile Diabetics and overlook something else.  We don't want to sentence them to a life of insulin dependence for lack of further testing and research.
in first testing my blood sugar was 180/350(fast/pp).prior this test,i was taking urregural diet & heavy alcohol.second test after two month after control diet & excersie my blood sugar was 117/173(fast/75 g glucose).
pls tell me whethere i am diabetic or prediabetic?
My brother is 37 years of age, African American male who is currently on metphormin. But it is not helping. He has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My question is are there other reasons that his sugar levels would be out of control. Oh yeah, he was just recently admitted to the hospital in DKA. Please help? I just lost my fathe two months ago and my grandmother a week ago. I cant handle losing my brother right now!!!!
Has your brother's doctor tried insulin?  Type II diabetics do not present with DKA unless there is something else going on.  If he has Type I, metformin will not do any good.  He needs insulin.  No, he is not too old to be a Type I..  If your doctor is not willing to talk about this, find another doctor.