Cellulite and diabetes
For the past year, I have been taking Novolog Insulin in combination with Lantus.  I have noticed the beginning stages of cellulite around the areas where I give the Novolog injection.  I am a 27 year old, juvenile onset diabetic.  I am thin for my height and have never had a problem with cellulite until the change in medication.  Can this be linked to either of the new insulins that I am taking?
Hi BamaBelle,
You seem to be very observant about your responses and patterns to your meds, and so I'd encourage you to trust your instincts here.

While insulin allergies are not common, plenty of folks have them.  Folks may not be allergic to the insulin per se, but they may be allergic to the buffering agent or preservative or some other component in the vial of insulin.

I used this site to read about possible side-effects of insulin aspart (Novolog):
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/500253.html

and did find some info on skin changes ..
"Less common or rare
Depression of the skin at place of injection;  thickening of the skin at place of injection;  ..."  This doesn't mention cellulite directly, but it sounds similar.

The site also has a clear caution to discuss these or any other changes with your doc.  We are not physicians here, so it's important to discuss these ideas with your endocrinologist before making any changes.  In your situation, I'd talk to that doc sooner rather than later.

Perhaps you can discuss using Humalog (insulin lispro) instead of Novolog.  It's "action" is similar to Novolog.  I'm pretty sure from the way you worded your msg, that you are properly taking your Lantus *separately* from the Novolog.  Good for you.

Here's a site with info on Humalog ...
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a697021.html

Like you, I've had diabetes a while.  It's the diligence that you're showing that allows us to lead a rich, full, long life! Hope this all helps and do check back to let us know how you're doing, okay?
I am researching this one.  I have heard of a problem/condition when you use the same spot for injections all the time.  I will let you know as soon as I hear back from my educator friend or remember it myself.  So sorry I am not more helpful at the moment.

Carol
Hypertrophy is what I was trying to think of.   Try to avoid the area for weeks to see if it improves.  This would be a great question for your doctor also.
Is this not simply Hypodistrophy, which we are all warned about?
sorry that is Lipodistrophy