Concerned about my daughter
I have type 2 diabetes, so I checked both of my children. My youngest was normal, (120) but my oldest child was 66. So we kept a check on hers, it always stays in the lows. (50-70). I make her eat a bowl of cereal to bring it up, it comes up to 90. She is a normal sized 16 yr old, but she has gotten more hungry in the past year or so. She complains about her feet being hot, and she drinks constantly. As a diabetic I know thats a sign. But she is also on birth contol, but that doesnt make your sugar drop does it?
I was really concerned about her and I just want to know what to do. Is this noraml?
If her sugars are running that low all the time, diabetes does not sound like her worry. Hypoglycemia can make the mouth feel very dry, and this is probably what is causing the thirst. When I am hypoglycemic, my throat feels parched and my eyes also get dry. It sounds as if she is hypo most of the time from the numbers you are telling us about.

Hormones play a very big part in a female's glucose levels. When some hormones are high, sugars can rise high, and when they drop, hypoglycemia can be a real result. So this is something I think I would ask her doctor about. Maybe some other type of birth control would be safer for her if hormone levels are part of the problem. This is certainly worth discussing with her doctor.

If hormones are not playing a role in the hypoglycemia at all, maybe you should look critically at what she eats. She may be one of those unfortunate people who have to closely watch what they eat -- avoiding all caffeine (which can stimulate the pancreas to overproduce insulin), avoid all high glycemic index foods and opt for complex carbs instead.

If your 16-year-old is driving, I would certainly look long and hard at the low blood sugar problem, for her reaction times will be slowed when her sugar levels drop below normal. I personally never drive with a glucose level below 70. At a level of 50, she is probably dangerous behind a wheel of a car. So this does need to be evaluated. I would continue to do some glucose tests on her in coming weeks and write down the results. Then make an appointment with her doctor and see if you can get some help for her.