Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Confused

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Confused

Hi, i just have a few questions.  to start off with, i don't think i have diabetes but i'm not sure what is going on.  I'm 18 years old, 5'7" 110 pounds.  i babysit a 9 year old with type one diabetes.  she tested my blood and it was 128 after i had eaten frozen yogurt over an hour ago.  she had tested it once before after i had an icee about 1/2 an hour before and it was in the 130s.  the last time she tested it was when it was 1:00 in the afternoon and i hadn't had anything to eat the whole day except maybe a cracker or two for breakfast and it was 105.  are those numbers normal?  i'm concerned because i get really bad stomachaches after eating meals most of the time.  could i not be processing sugar right?  i'm sorry if this isn't relative to diabetes but i didn't know where else to go.  thanks for any advice.
Hello Rebecca,
There's nothing like first-hand experience with someone with diabetes to give us reasons to think about our own health.  The American Diabetes Association has a website that gives blood-sugar info that you might find useful.  

This is the site:
http://www.diabetes.org/pre-diabetes/pre-diabetes-symptoms.jsp

Be sure to share your symptoms, results and your concerns with your own doctor.  S/he is in the best position to interpret what's going on with you after meals.  There're lots of possible reasons why an otherwise healthy person might have stomach aches -- anything from stress to food intolerances to digestive tract issue, for example.

I'm not a physician, but I hope this info is helpful.  Really, really, when you have health concerns that prompt an inquiry, so share them with your doc.  Even if it means a special phone call in between regular annual exams.  And if you aren't yet in the habit of having a regular annual checkup, now's a great time to start!  GOod luck and thanks for being part of a care-giving team for that diabetic child.  In her eyes you must be AWEsome, too!  :-)
Rebecca,
First of all, you must be a great babysitter! I bet your 9 y.o. loves that she is able to ***** your finger just like she has to do her own.  I am not a doctor, so I can't really diagnose you. It does sound like your blood sugars are within normal range.  You certainly are not overweight.  

To set your mind at ease, you might want to schedule a physical with your doctor and ask to have a glucose tolerance test done.  They will do other routine blood work as well, which is a good thing to have done periodically anyway. Your doctor will be able to relieve your worrying and give you more information about signs that might indicate diabetes.  You can also talk with him/her about your upset stomach and get some help for that too.  
Es
Your readings look pretty normal to me. Your blood sugar will go up after eating - thats normal. The best level to test is the "fasting blood sugar". It is a reading taken 8 hours after eating. Here is a guideline for diagnosis :

"The "gold standard" for diagnosing diabetes is an elevated blood sugar level after an overnight fast (not eating anything after midnight). A value above 140 mg/dl on at least two occasions typically means a person has diabetes. Normal people have fasting sugar levels that generally run between 70-110 mg/dl."

Your reading of 105 falls in that range, in spite og having eaten a cracker.

Cheers,

Mark
These are perfectly normal numbers.

Depending upon what non-diabetics eat - a double-scoop of ice cream or good helping of speghetti with a lot of sauce could send your sugars way over the 200 mark initially.  But your pancreas kicks in with insulin to process it.  That's the way it's supposed to work.

Anxiety and nervousness and andrenalin will also boost your sugars.

And depending upon the glucose meter you use and how many new or old blood cells you had in the drop of blood (older blood cells have more sugar surrounding them), the actual numbers could be lower than what the meter gave you.

If you are really concerned, your family physician could run a quick 15 minute A1C test on you to see where your A1C numbers are.  Or .... you can purchase a one-time use A1C kit from Walgreens and test yourself.

Although I am not a doctor, I'm pretty sure you're not a Diabetic iof you are not showing any of the classic signs (as referenced to above).  Live life, be happy.