Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Coping

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Coping

my boyfriend and i, although we havent been together very long, are incredibly close, and recently i've been noticing certain signs and symptoms which i know are associated with diabetes. i told him i was concerned and he has made an appointment to see a doctor about these concerns. however, i know i'm a worrier and i want to know what i can possibly do to make life any easier for him if it should turn out he has diabetes, i dont want him to suffer in the slightest so i just want to help him. any ideas?
much appreciated
xx
Avatar n tn
Hi, that's awesome that you want to educate yourself on diabetes!  There are lots of places to get information, here are two good places to start:

<a href="http://jdrf.org/index.cfm?page_id=103435" target=_blank>Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation</a>
<a href="http://www.diabetes.org/type-1-diabetes.jsp" target=_blank>American Diabetes Association</a>

The two biggest things you would need to learn is first about carb counting and how it affects blood sugars.  Being accurate in the number of carbs eaten is very important for knowing what insulin to dose.  The next is the symptoms of high blood sugars and low blood sugars.  Both a dangerous conditions, low even more so because it can cause diabetic coma or death.  

I'm glad that your boyfriend would have someone who cares about him this much if he does get diagnosed.  Just being there is as important as any knowledge you can gain.
Avatar n tn
I totally agree with the answer you were given. We hope he does not have diabetes, but it is smart to not ignore symptoms and to get checked. It is such an easy disease to diagnose, and compared to many, it is easy to live with. Yes, there are the daily needs to check blood sugar and to eat properly, but the result can be a very long, healthy life. You are wise to try to educate yourself. This really IS the first step. If he turns out to have type 1 diabetes, contact the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (www.jdrg.org) for information: they would be happy to send you printed materials, or you can download info from their website. If type 2 diabetes is the issue, you will find more appropriate info on the American Diabetes Association's website at www.ada.org
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Nighthawk61 commented on mishymoshymarcy's status
Nighthawk61 I DO NOT KNOW THE WORD FEAR... Comment
May 05
MH Community Mgr commented on Bubulous's status
May 03