Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Corn meal and Plantain (green) & Type 2 diabetes

A community of people with Type 1 or Juvenile Diabetes to guide and support your health journey. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Hi All,

I am an African and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes some ten years ago.  Two of my stable foods are plantain (green) and corn meal.  I would like to know if these two foods are good for a type 2 diabetic?

Many thanks and GOD Bless.
Avatar n tn
Hello.  I'm not a medical professional, just the parent of a kid with type 1, and I am also not a nutritionist or dietician.  From what I understand about type 2, it is primarily controlled by diet and exercise, sometimes requiring medicine.  If you balance your diet with enough exercise to make up for it, theoretically you could eat those two foods with no problem.  Corn meal is higher in carbs, so it would mean more activity, but it is clearly possible.  Plantain looks like a really good fruit to have as part of your diet, it appears to have many nutritional benefits.  I definitely think it's ok to have those foods.  And as always, closely monitor your blood sugars with testing.
Avatar n tn
how does a diet of plantain help a diabetes patients diet
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet