Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Cosmetic surgery - is it out of theh question for Type I diabetics

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

My sister is a Type I diabetic and she was really looking forward to having a face lift, especially since I had just had one.  But the doctor told her she would have to get the OK from her doctor.  Her doctor said her blood sugar has to be more under control.  She's really trying but its not working.  She's so disappointed.  It's been postponed three times now.  (She's had other sugeries without any complications.  And she broke her ankle a couple of yers ago and her podiatrist said she healed better than someone without diabetes.)  Have any of you had cosmetic surgery and did you have any complications?  And what about the bruising and healing?  Any other comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I am not a physician, but a mom of a child with type 1 diabetes, and the daughter of someone with type 2 diabetes.  I can tell you from experience that people with diabetes, whether type 1 or type 2, usually heal a lot slower that a person with out diabetes.  It took my mom over 2 years to have a wound heal because her diabetes was not under tight control.  My daughter, who is on the pump and in good control, takes a longer to heal than her friends.  A simple black and blue mark it can last for up to 6 weeks, under good control on mydaughter. Having surgery on the face usually takes longer to heal as you are constantly using the muscles they cannot stay still to heal.

I would suggest that your sister talk to her endocrinologist to see how she can better control her diabetes.  I would also have the endocrinologist talk with the surgeon to find the best way for your sister to safely have the surgery.  They should work together as a team to make this possible for your sister.  If they will not help her , I would getr another opinion.
ya, i am also wondering about this. i heard that a diabetic could not get laser eye surgery?
An eye problem such as retinopathy is a complication of diabetes.  I would contact your eye doctor in reference to eye surgery.