Could my 3 year old have diabetes
My three year old son is always drinkng and peeing, we have a fmaily history of diabetes. My mother thinks that he might have it so we checked his sugar levels once last night about 2 hrs after he ate and his blood sugar was 137 and then this mornign when he woke up it was 167. Is this normal level?
I'm sorry, no, that is not a normal level. Normal fasting blood sugars are under 100. I would definitely have your doctor check him. He might do an OGTT which is a test that sees his reaction to a sugary drink over a couple hours and an A1C (which is the current standard to diagnose diabetes) which is an average of blood sugars over a period of a couple months. 6.5 and over is diabetic. If he is diagnosed, it will change your lives, and there is a lot to learn, but it is a manageable condition and they are coming up with more new technology daily. If that happens send me a private message and I'll give you the name of a website where you can read info from other parents and chat with other parents. Good luck.
Zoe