Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Could this be diabetes?

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Could this be diabetes?

My son is 20 months old, at around 14-15 months he started waking up in the middle of the night to drink water (he drinks about 6-8 oz a night, not all at once). As soon as he drinks water, he goes right back to sleep. I never really thought twice about it, but recently, I have been told by several people that it isn't normal. As far as I can tell, he isn't losing weight (has always been a very skiny child). He does soak through his nighttime diaper several times a week. Sometimes he's starving and other times he doesn't want to eat at all. He rubs his head alot (like people do when they have a headache) and says owwie al the time, not necessarily together, just in general. Is it possible that he has diabetes? There is some family history of diabetes, both type 1 and type 2.
Anything that you've noted above doesn't sound like anything unusual  from my experience.  I have 3 kids.  2 of my kids got in the habit of getting up at night to have drinks.  As far as worrying about diabetes and it runs in your family, that is something you'll have to keep an eye on.  But the saturated diaper in the morning is pretty normal, especially if he drank water during the night.  If you feel that the amount of fluid he is taking in generally equals the amount of fluid coming out, then there probably isn't a problem.  No one on here can tell you for sure if his blood sugars are elevated.  The only way to find out is to have him tested.  You can always call the pediatricians office and tell them your concerns and see what they say.  I know there is research mentioning a connection between cow's milk products and gluten (in wheat, barley, rye and possibly oats) and type 1 diabetes.  But that accounts for only a smaller percentage of type 1 diabetics - maybe something for you to explore and talk with the doctor about since it does run in your family.

I hope this helps somewhat!  Parenting has got to be the hardest job there is!!:)  Hang in there!

Have him checked out by your doctor.
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
alp1944 added the Diabetes Tracker
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
Jul 23
MH Community Mgr commented on photo
Jul 23