Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Diabetes and Glycemic Index Dieting

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Diabetes and Glycemic Index Dieting

Hello~ 33 yr old female w/ PCOS & was diagnosed w/type 2 6 yrs ago. I was not happy & revised my eating habits along w/ taking 500 mg of glucophage 2x daily. It took @ 1 1/2 yr, but I lost 50lbs & my b/s levels dropped to where my dr was took me off glucophage. I did fine & was off glucophage for @ 2 years. I started reverting back to my old eating habits(did manage to stay away from any sugar, my problem was carbs & fast food). I put 20lbs back on & my b/s was out of control again. My dr put me back on glucophage & after @ a year, my b/s was still not doing as well as it should be, so Actos was added. I have now been on Glucophage/Actos for @ a year now. Last month I went to dr for a visit because all of my joints, including my hands were aching badly. We really had not sat down & talked for quite awhile. He felt that my aching hands were from my diabetes & said that if I did not start watching my B/s more closely he was going to have to put me on insulin. I am now back to watching my diet very closely. It seems that everything I did before to lower my sugar & weight was not working at all though. So now I am following the glycemic index diet & my dr wanted me to add herbal supplements (bitter melon, cinnamon & hawthorn berry & I did some research & added some others). Everything now seems to be falling back into place & I am starting to feel better & my clothes are getting loose. Problem is where can I get very good info on the Glycemic index diet? All the websites I visit only give basic foods & I would like more detailed food info showing Glycemic value.Thanks Lorraine
Hi Lorraine!  We mainly deal with type 1 on this site, as that is what we volunteers have life-experience with.  The glycemic index of the foods that we eat affect all of us, with or without either type of diabetes so I checked around on the internet and found that the website for The American Diabetes Association (they focus on type 2 diabetes for the most part), has quite a few informational articles that you should find helpful if you do a search on "glycemic index".  Their website is www.diabetes.org.  Best of luck in your continued efforts to control your diabetes!  Keep up the good work!
I would recommend that you work very hard to keep the weight off. This is a very big part of having type 2 diabetes, for type 2 is really an insulin-resistant problem, and fat cells are insulin-resistant. So the more fat cells you have in your body, the higher your blood sugar levels. If you lose excess weight and keep it off, you have a much better chance at avoiding diabetes than if you let the weight creep up, even if you ARE eating properly.
Hi, I'm a type 1 diabetic. Once I went on my pump, I found that EVERYTHING(almost) afeects my sugars. I have purchased alot of books,They all said eating low G.I. will help w/control your sugars, and you will find then your body requires less insulin. So I tried it, & IT WORKS FOR ME. I had to change all my basal rates, and insulin to carb ratios.But your a type 2, so try these books The New Glucose Revolution-Low G.I. eating made easy.by Jennie Brand-Miller. Another good book that I refer to alot is Good Carbs, Bad Carbs by Johanna Burani. I first look at them in a book store to see if I like it, then I purchase them thru The Diabtes Mall @ www.diabetesnet.com / or call for a catalog 1800-988-4772.As I was told,so I will tell you, stick w/one. I say , if it works, use it. Good luck with your low G.I.  Hope this helps you, as it did for me.