Diabetes - Type 1 Community
Diabetes and Glycemic Index Dieting
About This Community:

This patient support community is for questions related to juvenile diabetes including Celiac disease, depression, diabetic complications, hyperglycemia / diabetic keto-acidosis, hypoglycemia, islet cell transplantation, nutrition, parenting a diabetic child, pregnancy, pump therapy, school issues, and teens with diabetes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Diabetes and Glycemic Index Dieting

Hello~ 33 yr old female w/ PCOS & was diagnosed w/type 2 6 yrs ago. I was not happy & revised my eating habits along w/ taking 500 mg of glucophage 2x daily. It took @ 1 1/2 yr, but I lost 50lbs & my b/s levels dropped to where my dr was took me off glucophage. I did fine & was off glucophage for @ 2 years. I started reverting back to my old eating habits(did manage to stay away from any sugar, my problem was carbs & fast food). I put 20lbs back on & my b/s was out of control again. My dr put me back on glucophage & after @ a year, my b/s was still not doing as well as it should be, so Actos was added. I have now been on Glucophage/Actos for @ a year now. Last month I went to dr for a visit because all of my joints, including my hands were aching badly. We really had not sat down & talked for quite awhile. He felt that my aching hands were from my diabetes & said that if I did not start watching my B/s more closely he was going to have to put me on insulin. I am now back to watching my diet very closely. It seems that everything I did before to lower my sugar & weight was not working at all though. So now I am following the glycemic index diet & my dr wanted me to add herbal supplements (bitter melon, cinnamon & hawthorn berry & I did some research & added some others). Everything now seems to be falling back into place & I am starting to feel better & my clothes are getting loose. Problem is where can I get very good info on the Glycemic index diet? All the websites I visit only give basic foods & I would like more detailed food info showing Glycemic value.Thanks Lorraine
Related Discussions
Hi Lorraine!  We mainly deal with type 1 on this site, as that is what we volunteers have life-experience with.  The glycemic index of the foods that we eat affect all of us, with or without either type of diabetes so I checked around on the internet and found that the website for The American Diabetes Association (they focus on type 2 diabetes for the most part), has quite a few informational articles that you should find helpful if you do a search on "glycemic index".  Their website is www.diabetes.org.  Best of luck in your continued efforts to control your diabetes!  Keep up the good work!
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
I would recommend that you work very hard to keep the weight off. This is a very big part of having type 2 diabetes, for type 2 is really an insulin-resistant problem, and fat cells are insulin-resistant. So the more fat cells you have in your body, the higher your blood sugar levels. If you lose excess weight and keep it off, you have a much better chance at avoiding diabetes than if you let the weight creep up, even if you ARE eating properly.
Blank
Hi, I'm a type 1 diabetic. Once I went on my pump, I found that EVERYTHING(almost) afeects my sugars. I have purchased alot of books,They all said eating low G.I. will help w/control your sugars, and you will find then your body requires less insulin. So I tried it, & IT WORKS FOR ME. I had to change all my basal rates, and insulin to carb ratios.But your a type 2, so try these books The New Glucose Revolution-Low G.I. eating made easy.by Jennie Brand-Miller. Another good book that I refer to alot is Good Carbs, Bad Carbs by Johanna Burani. I first look at them in a book store to see if I like it, then I purchase them thru The Diabtes Mall @ www.diabetesnet.com / or call for a catalog 1800-988-4772.As I was told,so I will tell you, stick w/one. I say , if it works, use it. Good luck with your low G.I.  Hope this helps you, as it did for me.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Diabetes Tracker
Track glucose levels, and other diabetes measurements, symptoms and medications
Start Tracking Now
Blank
FoodDiary Tracker
Track Your Daily Carbs and Overall Diet
Start Tracking Now