Diabetes and depression
I was reading an interesting article that was talking about researchers discovering that many organ donors who have type 1 diabetes had high rates of suicide or drug use.  They are using that information to do further research on those with type 1 to see if there is a higher rate in the population over all of this.  They want to look into if those with type 1 will struggle with things like depression more then those who don't have type 1.  

Do you feel that there could be any link between diabetes and depression?  

there is very definitely a link between diabetes (particularly uncontrolled diabetes) and depression.

Consider it this way.  You have a serious condition that requires you to monitor everything you eat, inject insulin, and monitor blood sugar frequently.  Further, if you follow the traditional approach for diabetes management, which is high carb and low fat, your blood sugar will be swinging high and low every day, even with your best efforts.  If you are unlucky you will then develop complications from the high and swinging blood sugars, and the problems go on.  Not to mention the direct detrimental effect on the brain from both high and low sugars.   To make things worse, your diabetes team, may not acknowledge your efforts and label you as non-compliant or even brittle, because you haven't been able to meet even their treatment targets (which are probably quite loose and high).

Diabetes never lets you have a day off.

I believe the way to manage depression in diabetes is to empower patients to excellent control  This avoids the highs and lows, the swings, and the feeling of failure that comes with it.   It avoids complications.   Brain energy levels are normal.

Because of this, I am strongly in the manage diabetes using very low carb diet, along with exercise, and appropriate medications.  

I follow the teachings of Dr Richard Berstein (Diabetes solutions), also his u-tube lecture series (Bernstein Diabetes University), and the Typeonegrit facebook group.   He believes that people with diabetes deserve and need stable and normal level blood sugars.   He has proved through his work that this is indeed possible.

I and many others with diabetes, have been able to achieve normal blood sugar levels.  No complications. And I feel good.  I am actually in control.

Low carb means I typically eat less than 30 g of carbs per day, mostly coming from vegetables (I avoid grains, sugars, fruits).  I eat plenty of protein and enough fat that I am satisfied.  Because my diet doesn't require much insulin, I use small doses of  insulin only and I rarely have highs or serious lows.

My diabetes does not overwhelm me.  It is certainly a nuisance, but it's become part of my daily routine, and I live an active and busy life as a mum to 2 young girls, a full time worker, and an active member of my community.
This is really good information, thank you for sharing it!